Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Sonny Joe on May 10, 2023, 11:17:54 AM
Walter are you defending the behaviour? Are you suggesting the post is lies? Do you need evidence ie a conviction before you do not want to be associated with him?

All I'm saying is we're very quick to jump on here. Gallagher's sideline behaviour is certainly not great. Does that make him a wife beater? No. If found guilty he should have the book thrown at him..until he's found guilty though we have to presume he's innocent. This would apply to any supposed crime.

Cavan19

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 10, 2023, 11:20:41 AM
Walter are you defending the behaviour? Are you suggesting the post is lies? Do you need evidence ie a conviction before you do not want to be associated with him?

All I'm saying is we're very quick to jump on here. Gallagher's sideline behaviour is certainly not great. Does that make him a wife beater? No. If found guilty he should have the book thrown at him..until he's found guilty though we have to presume he's innocent. This would apply to any supposed crime.

I'm afraid social media doesn't afford people that anymore.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 10, 2023, 11:21:39 AM

I'm afraid social media doesn't afford people that anymore.

I get what you're saying Walter and I wouldn't be one to jump on anyone without clear evidence. From Derrys perspective they need to look at this and see what the story will be on Sunday. Once the genie is out of the bottle it cannot be put back. I cannot see how he can be standing on the sideline with this going on. Too many variables which will deflect from the actual game and will impact on their preparations

sam03/05

There is no way that he can manage an inter county team , with such allegations against him.

trueblue1234

I would imagine there will be evidence given the extent of what she says he did. Be it medical records, pictures etc. Regardless, given it's come from the wife directly, most people would be of the view that he should step away until proven one way or the other. I'd expect him to do that, to take the decision out of anyones hands. If he doesn't Derry will ask him to walk. There's no way he'll be on the line at the wkend. And he shouldn't be.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

It quite simple. These are serious allegations and until they are proven or otherwise Gallagher has to step down. He will do of his own accord I would imagine. Expect a brief statement citing personal issues in the coming days.

It happens all the time in Soccer. Greenwood being one of the most high profile cases.

tyrone08

If it is not true the woman in question has opened herself up to a case against her so one would have to assume she is telling the truth.

Rorys side line antics for years have been put down to passion. Anyone with half a brain can see that's not passion that is aggression. There is a massive difference.

However no one should judge him until the investigation is finished

smelmoth

You are confusing 2 things here.

There is a criminal sanction for domestic abuse. Rory Gallagher should not be subject to that criminal sanction unless and until he has been found guilty on the evidence in a court of law. So far so simple.

The second issue is more complex. You will note in many instances people are suspended pending investigation. There are various reasons for this. Not all of which will apply here but at the very least we have an extremely serious allegation against Gallagher and as far as I can tell strong indications that the allegations have not come out of nowhere and have been circulating for some time at least in Donegal, Fermanagh and Derry. So Derry County Board are going have to make some sort of statement. If they are not in a position to make a clear statement of his innocence it is very likely that they will at least have to suspend him pending that investigation.

There is also the questions of the players. I would assume every member of the squad will be asking him for an unambiguous and credible statement of his innocence on all the allegations. Without that I wouldn't play for them and you would want to believe that each player will make that decision also. In those circumstances he would surely stand back himself and let the players play.

For the fans, could you cheer him on without some confirmation that there is nothing in these allegations? Surely not

Mario

What if this has already been investigated by the police, what should happen to RG then? Is this his wife's first time addressing the issue or her last attempt at justice?

smelmoth

Quote from: Mario on May 10, 2023, 12:06:31 PM
What if this has already been investigated by the police, what should happen to RG then? Is this his wife's first time addressing the issue or her last attempt at justice?

Quite correct.

Valid points and I don't know the answer

general_lee

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 10, 2023, 10:37:13 AM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2023, 09:34:01 AM
His position is untenable. If I was a Derry player (apart from McFaul maybe) I'd lose every ounce of respect I had for him.

Wise up GL you clampit!
Apologies, we actually know for a fact McFaul left someone in intensive care after an unprovoked attack because he can't handle his drink. These are just allegations (unproven in a court of law) at this stage with Gallagher.

tonto1888

Quote from: Mario on May 10, 2023, 12:06:31 PM

reading what she wrote and her mentioning silence doesn't work, I would say she hasn't done anything until now

full moon

I agree with you although it does look terrible for Gallagher but there is 2 sides to every story in these cases.

A FB post has been made and several allegations, he has not been arrested, charged or convicted of anything, so I wouldn't just hang draw and quarter him just yet.

Women can and do lie and not everything they say is gospel truth. If they are separated and/or going through divorce, some even stating here he has custody of children, there is several elements more to this than the online commentators know.

trueblue1234

Quote from: full moon on May 10, 2023, 12:12:25 PM

I agree with you although it does look terrible for Gallagher but there is 2 sides to every story in these cases.

A FB post has been made and several allegations, he has not been arrested, charged or convicted of anything, so I wouldn't just hang draw and quarter him just yet.

Women can and do lie and not everything they say is gospel truth. If they are separated and/or going through divorce, some even stating here he has custody of children, there is several elements more to this than the online commentators know.

Read her post on FB. There are multiple eye witnesses to some of the acts supporting her. If they are happy to post publicly on fb I'd imagine they will be willing eye witnesses in any case. It does not look good for him. Either way he should be removed from the line for this wkend. I expect that to happen over the next 24 hrs.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

full moon

The media will likely will not comment much on this unless there is further developments due to libel laws as these are social media allegations and they can be sued.

If I was to guess I'd say its likely Gallagher remains on the line Sunday at least, unless there is further developments. He may wish to put out his own statement or he may wait until next week.

This is not the Premier League, England or Mason Greenwood case so I'm not sure why people are bringing that up as its nothing a like.