Most likely provincial finalists

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2023, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Leinster

The non Dublin half of the draw has Longford, Offaly, Louth , Meath, Westmeath .  Westmeath are already in the Sam Maguire..

Munster
The non Kerry side has Cork, Clare, Limerick

Connacht
One of London, Sligo, New York, Leitrim   

Ulster
Fermanagh, Derry, Tyrone, Monaghan
and
Donegal, Down, Cavan, Antrim, Fermanagh
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Ffs, I was gonna say we have a great chance, but you've kicked us out already!

Rossfan

Cavan will have to reach UF to qualify for Sam so they'll be bursting the boilers to get there.
Derry to get there too.
Mayowestros  v Sligo in Connacht
Dublin v Meath in Leinster
Kerry v Cork in Munster
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Kildare have to beat Louth on Sunday.
Louth could get to the Leinster final and be relegated.

I'd say there'll be 2 or max 3 D3/4 in the Sam. Westmeath, +  1 from Connacht and possibly one from Leinster.
D2 position 5 should be okay. Position 6 depends.

FermGael

Is there not a big chance that alot of the bigger teams won't be that worried about the provincial finals this year and will be doing alot of heavy training ?

Surely they will want to peak for the group stages to make sure they make the last 16 knockout
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

seafoid

Quote from: FermGael on March 02, 2023, 10:42:57 AM
Is there not a big chance that alot of the bigger teams won't be that worried about the provincial finals this year and will be doing alot of heavy training ?

Surely they will want to peak for the group stages to make sure they make the last 16 knockout
The groups of 4 will be seeded

Armagh18

Quote from: FermGael on March 02, 2023, 10:42:57 AM

Kerry and Dublin won't because they'll breeze through regardless. The 3 Connacht teams have all won it fairly recently so may have eyes on a bigger prize, although the Rossies realistically won't win Sam so should be going for silverware. Ulster championship still means something though and would be goal number one for Armagh this year I'd like to think, given our performances this past long time have been nowhere near good enough. None of the Ulster teams are realistically going to win Sam so the anglo celt is the next best thing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Rossfan on March 02, 2023, 10:15:42 AM
Cavan will have to reach UF to qualify for Sam so they'll be bursting the boilers to get there.
Derry to get there too.
Kerry v Cork in Munster

I'm not sure that will make any difference. I'm sure they'd prefer to be in Sam Maguire but they have no chance of competing to win Sam whereas they'd have a good chance of winning a Tailteamm Cup. Outside of Dublin, Derry and at a push Kildare, Cork and Meath, none of the other Div 2 counties will compete at the business end of the championship.

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on March 02, 2023, 10:24:41 AM
Kildare have to beat Louth on Sunday.
Louth could get to the Leinster final and be relegated.

I'd say there'll be 2 or max 3 D3/4 in the Sam. Westmeath, +  1 from Connacht and possibly one from Leinster.
D2 position 5 should be okay. Position 6 depends.

More than that.
1 from Munster guaranteed.
2 from Leinster guaranteed (though Dublin promoted)
1 from Connacht guaranteed.
1 from Ulster on current form (though Derry will be promoted). But could be 2 with some of the current form displayed by Div 1 teams.
Those not getting promoted fron Divsion 2 will be left sweating as many Div 1 teams will require the 7 ranked spots to make the group stages.

Sorry the above analysis is based on non-Div 1 teams making provincials. Only Kerry and 1 of Mayo/Galway/Ros are certain to qualify for group stages by qualifying for a provincial final.

Eire90

be interesting at what intensity and hype will provincials be played at  like tyrone are still going to be in the last 16 of all ireland even if they get knocked out in ulster first round but i think seeding will be important so you want to win provincial or get too final.

Eire90

is their a scenario where say tyrone dont make sam maguire group stages.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Eire90 on March 02, 2023, 01:29:02 PM
In theory it is possible, although highly unlikely.
The greater number of provincial finalists that come from Div 3 or 4 the less Div 2 (and in theory, ultimately, Div 1) teams will make the Sam Maguire based on their league placings.

seafoid

Quote from: Eire90 on March 02, 2023, 01:29:02 PM
Not this year but if the current trajectory continues, maybe next year.

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on March 02, 2023, 11:47:09 AM
Derry to get there too.
Kerry v Cork in Munster

I'm not sure that will make any difference. I'm sure they'd prefer to be in Sam Maguire but they have no chance of competing to win Sam whereas they'd have a good chance of winning a Tailteamm Cup. Outside of Dublin, Derry and at a push Kildare, Cork and Meath, none of the other Div 2 counties will compete at the business end of the championship.

Well if Cavan would have no choice competing for Sam and thats some sort of pre-requisite then I think we can cut down the All Ireland Series to 4/5 teams as theres only Dublin in Leinster, Kerry in Munster, Galway and Mayo in Connacht and is there even anyone in Ulster - Maybe Derry.

Dreadnought

Quote from: yellowcard on March 02, 2023, 11:47:09 AM
Derry to get there too.
Kerry v Cork in Munster

I get what you mean, but we want to be up. If we get into Sam, we'll have got to an Ulster final, so will be at the level to be competitive. That says more to me than playing teams in the Tier 2 competition. For all that the Tailteann is bigged up to be, it is a good competition for some, but not for the teams who probably shouldn't be there or at least have the ability to play Sam to a good level. At the end of the day the reward for winning it is you don't play it again which says a lot. All I feel it does is create a very clear divide and teams down there can't get much better as they're only playing themselves which creates a ceiling, while the ladder is pulled up above them and those teams playing each other drive each other on. Division 3 and 4 teams all only play themselves all league and again in their Championship (bar the odd provincial game v D1/D2 teams should the draw fall that way). I say get up and get up quick before the gap widens