That would not be the case in California

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 14, 2020, 07:43:47 PM
Quote from: Gmac on June 14, 2020, 07:32:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 14, 2020, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: Gmac on June 14, 2020, 06:56:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 14, 2020, 06:40:52 PM
Quote from: Gmac on June 14, 2020, 06:37:00 PM
How are they not canceled though ? just look at what they were on the wrong side of history for .
Are you justifying them ?

No.

They've a shameful history.

Which they repudiated more than 50 years ago.

Its a shame for everyone that the GOP eagerly swept up what the Dems abandoned.
that doesn't hold up to the standards of today they need to go .

Good luck with that, given that 90+% of blacks and a large majority of Hispanics vote Democratic, while thr GOP president and its base don't even see illegal immigrants as worthy of human dignity.
Why do they though ,if most black people live in cities and the cities are run by dems and have been for generations and their lives are shit and they are being killed by cops who are also voting for Democrats through their unions , would you keep voting that way .

Actually, much to my surprise most cops vote for Republicans even in the big cities

The Democrats have formed these huge bureaucracies in every city. Everyone who's connected can get a job.....many of them are do nothing jobs with great benefits and good pensions.   Well connected African Americans who can turn out the vote get their share of these plum jobs

I guess I must not know the right people, with all these patronage jobs apparently up for grabs. ::)

J70

How are they not canceled though ? just look at what they were on the wrong side of history for .

No.

Good luck with that, given that 90+% of blacks and a large majority of Hispanics vote Democratic, while thr GOP president and its base don't even see illegal immigrants as worthy of human dignity.
Why do they though ,if most black people live in cities and the cities are run by dems and have been for generations and their lives are shit and they are being killed by cops who are also voting for Democrats through their unions , would you keep voting that way .

If you believe that is true, how deep must bigoted attitudes towards minorities be embedded in the right then if they can't even peel off a modest minority of those groups?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 14, 2020, 08:20:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 14, 2020, 07:43:47 PM

No.

Actually, much to my surprise most cops vote for Republicans even in the big cities

The Democrats have formed these huge bureaucracies in every city. Everyone who's connected can get a job.....many of them are do nothing jobs with great benefits and good pensions.   Well connected African Americans who can turn out the vote get their share of these plum jobs

I guess I must not know the right people, with all these patronage jobs apparently up for grabs. ::)

$70 K with benefits for doing fvck all with a pension.....I know about 20 people who have such jobs

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on June 14, 2020, 08:22:09 PM

No.

If you believe that is true, how deep must bigoted attitudes towards minorities be embedded in the right then if they can't even peel off a modest minority of those groups?
or the other way around , an r by a candidate side is the end of the candidate

Jell 0 Biafra

Surprising how long someone can live here and not know cops unions are a solid Republican voting block.

bennydorano

Is there any chance of genuine reform of the Policing system? From my limited knowledge the US seems an overly bureaucratic type of policing system? local county police, metro, state troopers and i have probably missed a layer? I take it it's structure is part of the problem?

J70

Quote from: bennydorano on June 15, 2020, 08:39:38 AM
Is there any chance of genuine reform of the Policing system? From my limited knowledge the US seems an overly bureaucratic type of policing system? local county police, metro, state troopers and i have probably missed a layer? I take it it's structure is part of the problem?

The local police force set-up is ridiculous. Each little town has its own, or if its a rural area, an elected sheriff overseeing the county. Northern New Jersey is effectively one, large continuous suburb of NYC, with towns and suburbs extending continuously for miles and miles in all directions and containing millions of people. The only thing to tell you that you might be passing from one town into another would be a sign. There's no breaks or visible boundaries, unless there's a river. Yet, each place is its own little fiefdom, with its own police force and police infrastructure and management structure, replicated over and over again. They might all send their trainees to one academy for initial or in-service training, but after that, each one is independent and supported by local taxes and politics.

If you take the Holland Tunnel from New Jersey into NYC, you'll be passing through the jurisdictions of the NJ State Police as you drive on the highway, through the Jersey City Police on the approach to the tunnel (but turn off for a couple of blocks and you can cross into the territory of the Hoboken police), and then into the jurisdiction of the Port Authority Police as you enter and drive through the tunnel, only to emerge into NYPD territory on the NYC side.

whitey

J70-the other thing about policing in small town USA that people in Ireland don't get is that most of the cops grew up in town so they know everyone

The "kid" pulling you over is one of your sons best friends and spent as much time in your house growing up as he did at his own house....this  leads to a very unequal application of the law

I know of a golf course where all the cops caddied when they were teenagers and their sons and grandsons caddy there now. The pros brother is the former chief of police.  Think anyone ever gets nabbed leaving there after enjoying  a few frosty adult beverages?

sid waddell

Finally some good news out of the US, there isn't much of it these days.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1272531229095723008

BREAKING: US Supreme Court rules that existing federal law forbids job discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, a major victory for advocates of gay rights.

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on June 15, 2020, 04:23:14 PM
Finally some good news out of the US, there isn't much of it these days.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1272531229095723008

BREAKING: US Supreme Court rules that existing federal law forbids job discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, a major victory for advocates of gay rights.

Protects transgender people also.

6-3 win. I was fairly confident Roberts would sign on, but Gorsuch writing the opinion was promising, although he does appear to be far more libertarian-leaning than the likes of Kavanaugh.

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 15, 2020, 01:42:27 PM
J70-the other thing about policing in small town USA that people in Ireland don't get is that most of the cops grew up in town so they know everyone

The "kid" pulling you over is one of your sons best friends and spent as much time in your house growing up as he did at his own house....this  leads to a very unequal application of the law

I know of a golf course where all the cops caddied when they were teenagers and their sons and grandsons caddy there now. The pros brother is the former chief of police.  Think anyone ever gets nabbed leaving there after enjoying  a few frosty adult beverages?

And that's something the Gardai do well, posting guards to other areas of the country or county from where they grew up. Much less chance of being compromised or influenced by familiarity or relationships.

J70

Fox News, after falsely hyping the Seattle CHAZ thing and using altered photos, sensed there might be trouble behind the scenes and an uprising against the (to quote Gmac and Fox) "warlord" leader, apparently called Raz.

Except they based it all on a Reddit thread quoting directly from The Holy Grail!  :o ;D ;D

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fox-news-monty-python-joke-seattle-protests-a9565506.html?jwsource=cl
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fox-news-monty-python-joke-seattle-protests-a9565506.html

tyssam5

Quote from: J70 on June 16, 2020, 01:14:42 PM
Fox News, after falsely hyping the Seattle CHAZ thing and using altered photos, sensed there might be trouble behind the scenes and an uprising against the (to quote Gmac and Fox) "warlord" leader, apparently called Raz.

Except they based it all on a Reddit thread quoting directly from The Holy Grail!  :o ;D ;D

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fox-news-monty-python-joke-seattle-protests-a9565506.html?jwsource=cl
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fox-news-monty-python-joke-seattle-protests-a9565506.html

Wait until they hear about the Downtown Anarchists Violence Exchange. When CHAZ n DAVE get together it could be a right old anarchistic knees up.

Eamonnca1