China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Rossfan on April 17, 2020, 01:39:35 PM
I'd suspect those lads will be hired by a Bulgarian contractor getting paid in Bulgaria?
No doubt, minus accommodation, food, travel and agency costs.

LeoMc

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on April 17, 2020, 01:42:02 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on April 17, 2020, 01:38:33 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 17, 2020, 12:59:16 PM
"The bigger problem is - there is no viable alternative. They either let the crop rot and with a lack of food on the shelves people get very antsy very quickly or they bring in labour."

Or they pay a decent living wage for Dublin that wouldn't even put a significant dent in their massive profits but hey ho no , they're a fg company in bed with senior fg figures . Why are people afraid of the genuine truth , keelings epitomise all that's wrong with capitalism/globalism . I really thought this horrible pandemic would open people's eyes
What hourly rate do you and your 100 men need?

18 euro sounds fair?
Double the minimum wage?
Maybe the minimum wage should be doubled to pay for better public services.
The problem then will be competing with cheaper imports.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: larryin89 on April 17, 2020, 12:59:16 PM
"The bigger problem is - there is no viable alternative. They either let the crop rot and with a lack of food on the shelves people get very antsy very quickly or they bring in labour."

Or they pay a decent living wage for Dublin that wouldn't even put a significant dent in their massive profits but hey ho no , they're a fg company in bed with senior fg figures . Why are people afraid of the genuine truth , keelings epitomise all that's wrong with capitalism/globalism . I really thought this horrible pandemic would open people's eyes

All nice till you put a number or two at it.

Keelings had supposedly sales of ~€300m in 2016 while employing ~2,000 people.

Say they've a 5% profit margin (which is likely quite optimistic), that means €15m.

If each person works 1800 hours a year, that is 3.6m man-hours a year.

So that works out at a €4/hr rate rise for everyone - and in doing so wiping out all profits leaving the company deeply vulnerable to any loss of crop due to bad weather or for investment in equipment, facilities etc.

i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 17, 2020, 12:15:59 PM
Now I agree that there would need to be a strict 14day isolation for each and every one of them after arriving here - especially before being allowed to work in the food chain - and I'll bet that is not happening - due to greed.

These people will be brought in a  bus to their accommodation, they may infect each other but will have little to do with the Irish population, especially in the next two weeks.
I'm not sure this is a huge problem, the issue is that the company have organised it, there is no government supervision of any of this.
It should be possible to give these people a test in 5 days and then let them work away.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2020, 11:30:09 AM
The lad said Belfast and Fermanagh. Would imagine though any company would prefer you staying safe and if they feel you are not working enough then go through the disciplinary procedures

Its not only about working enough, its about being effective at your job.

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on April 17, 2020, 02:56:37 PM
Now I agree that there would need to be a strict 14day isolation for each and every one of them after arriving here - especially before being allowed to work in the food chain - and I'll bet that is not happening - due to greed.

These people will be brought in a  bus to their accommodation, they may infect each other but will have little to do with the Irish population, especially in the next two weeks.
I'm not sure this is a huge problem, the issue is that the company have organised it, there is no government supervision of any of this.
It should be possible to give these people a test in 5 days and then let them work away.

Photo doing the rounds (I know...) suggesting they went shopping en route from the airport. Probably in a Lidl.

armaghniac

Quote from: five points on April 17, 2020, 03:03:07 PM

Photo doing the rounds (I know...) suggesting they went shopping en route from the airport. Probably in a Lidl.

That's extremely irregular if true. But then I heard of a South Armagh woman who arrived home from New York (much worse than Bulgaria) and headed into the supermarket in Cross' immediately on arrival to get the messages. Which is why the government need to get involved. perhaps people arriving could be required to put up a €1000 deposit which is immediately forfeit if they are seen outside.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on April 17, 2020, 03:12:09 PM

That's extremely irregular if true. But then I heard of a South Armagh woman who arrived home from New York (much worse than Bulgaria) and headed into the supermarket in Cross' immediately on arrival to get the messages. Which is why the government need to get involved. perhaps people arriving could be required to put up a €1000 deposit which is immediately forfeit if they are seen outside.

Just not going to happen. These people aren't criminals on bail.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 17, 2020, 03:14:40 PM

Something will have to happen. Either go to a government quarantine, which could be a comfortable hotel or put up a deposit and do it yourself. In a couple of weeks we'll have made progress and England will still be poxed and this island needs this type of requirement.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 17, 2020, 09:47:12 AM
What was the craic on London bridge last night - any of you see the video with everyone standing around clapping with no social distancing and even worse, the police standing there joining in / not enforcing social distancing?

Is it social distancing except for the clap on a Thursday night or what? Mad stuff altogether.

https://twitter.com/AamerAnwar/status/1251053933323304960
https://twitter.com/AamerAnwar/status/1251053935722475520

This NHS clap stuff was never really much more than a convenient distraction for the thickest in British society, lest even they start to ask uncomfortable questions about why the NHS was in such a fragile state as the beginning of this crisis.

But now it's become actively dangerous, with scores of organisations involved in a perverse competition to out do each other with the most elaborate and flashy display of 'something'. 'Something' because it's certainly no longer about appreciating NHS workers - I'd imagine that hundreds of idiots on camera phones crowding onto a bridge in the centre of the hardest hit area of the UK is the last thing any NHS worker wants to see right now.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 17, 2020, 03:14:40 PM

Unfortunately some are criminally stupid.
i usse an speelchekor

bennydorano

Noticed BBCNI news referring to a second wave happening pretty much as fact, it would fit with the parochial, gloomy shite that they revel in, but it's not fact, a strong possibility surely but bullshit too.

Blowitupref

Quote from: bennydorano on April 17, 2020, 07:35:44 PM
Noticed BBCNI news referring to a second wave happening pretty much as fact, it would fit with the parochial, gloomy shite that they revel in, but it's not fact, a strong possibility surely but bullshit too.
Hopefully it's not like the second wave of the Spanish flu which was the most deadly.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

J70

Quote from: bennydorano on April 17, 2020, 07:35:44 PM

Surely as long as the virus is out there without a vaccine, a second wave is likely, especially if things open up again after so many stay home to avoid infection?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Taylor on April 17, 2020, 08:25:56 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 17, 2020, 01:17:21 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on April 16, 2020, 10:18:36 PM
Mental stuff
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52316150

I met a Bolsonaro supporter at a party a few years back. She was as mad as a box of frogs. You thought Trump supporters were as thick as champ? I asked her what good she thought Bolsonaro was going to do.

Her: You don't know what it's like in the favelas! People are getting shot! People are getting murdered!
Me: Okay, but what's Bolsonaro going to go about it?
Her: He's going to fix it!
Me: How's he going to do that? By shooting more people?
Her: You don't know what it's like!
Me: How's he going to fix it?
Her: Brazil needs a strong leader like Bolsonaro! He's going to fix things! You don't know what it's like! You have no idea!
Me: So was Pinochet good for Chile?
Her: Huh?
Me: Was Pinochet good for Chile?
Her: No
Me: Was Galtieri good for Argentina?
Her: No
Me: When has a dictator ever been good for South America?
Her: This is different!
Me: How?
Her: This time it's going to be different! Bolsonaro is going to fix everything! We need a strong leader! You don't know what it's like in the favelas! People are getting shot every day! Children getting shot! You have no idea what it's like! Bolsonaro is going to deal with it! We need him!
Me: Yes, quite. I need to go for another drink...

You made that up Eamonn didnt you?

What? Why do people in here keep asking if I made stuff up? Why would I do that? I would really like to know.