Omagh area recommendations

Started by macdanger2, April 28, 2019, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

My parents are going to a wedding up around Omagh in a couple of weeks. They're heading from Mayo on the day (Thurs) before the wedding, staying in Carrickmore - anywhere around that general area that people would recommend for food?

Also, if they were to go up early in the day, is there anything in particular worth seeing?

Thanks

redcard

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 28, 2019, 10:22:39 PM
My parents are going to a wedding up around Omagh in a couple of weeks. They're heading from Mayo on the day (Thurs) before the wedding, staying in Carrickmore - anywhere around that general area that people would recommend for food?

Also, if they were to go up early in the day, is there anything in particular worth seeing?

Thanks

Old Charm Inn in Carrickmore?

What are their interests? What do they normally go to see when they visit areas?

marty34

Thanks

Ulster American Folk Park is decent.  They could spend 3 hours there. Just on the outskirts of Omagh.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rois

Call in and see Garvaghey, the Tyrone GAA Centre, just off the main road about 10 miles from Omagh. There's some interesting articles and pieces on the history of Tyrone and even taking the walking track around it gives a feeling of being in rural Tyrone. 
Dungannon isn't far and has Ranfurly House at the Hill of the O'Neill, which has a great guided tour focussing  on the Flight of the Earls.

trueblue1234

It's got it's haters but I love Grants in Omagh for a feed. Boston steak is great feed.

If their into walking, the Gortin Glens are good, depending on weather. Ulster American Folkpark as mentioned is interesting. Other than that, er the Pigeon top.....

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

macdanger2

Quote from: redcard on April 28, 2019, 11:39:01 PM

Thanks

What are their interests? What do they normally go to see when they visit areas?

They're in their mid 70s so nothing too strenuous, maybe a museum or a fairly flat walk, something to pass the time as much as anything else

Thanks for all the recommendations, will check them out

Main Street

This place is very popular with the natives, they just keep on returning to it.

seafoid

How far is Tullyhogue from Omagh ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on April 29, 2019, 11:15:06 AM
How far is Tullyhogue from Omagh ?

About 40 mins. They now have a hurling club.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 29, 2019, 10:04:06 AM

Thanks

They're in their mid 70s so nothing too strenuous, maybe a museum or a fairly flat walk, something to pass the time as much as anything else

Ulster American the best option. It's interesting and not too taxing but if the weather is poor it might be best avoided.

trailer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2019, 01:19:57 PM

Thanks

Ulster American the best option. It's interesting and not too taxing but if the weather is poor it might be best avoided.

There's a fair old bit of walking around it to be honest.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trailer on April 29, 2019, 01:40:17 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2019, 01:19:57 PM

Thanks

There's a fair old bit of walking around it to be honest.
True there is a good bit to it. Fair point!

Owen Brannigan

Thanks

Restaurants in Omagh area are fairly bleak, a good number can't even manage a 5 rating for hygiene.  Grants is the best in the town and there are no others I would take anyone to outside the town unless you just wanted a basic good feed of the same old stuff, about as good as a carry out of which Omagh has a huge number.

When you stop to think about what is worth seeing in Omagh, there is little or nothing worthwhile for the tourist. The Folk Park is great on a dry day otherwise bring a good coat and boots, remember Omagh has one of the highest rainfalls for towns in Ireland, on a par with Derry.  The Omagh bomb memorial must be one of the worst of its type anywhere in the world.  Town centre is grim with too much traffic, too little parking, too many charity shops and too many closed premises. 

The more I think about it the worse it gets from a visitor point of view.  Apart from that it is a good place to live, great schools, plenty of sporting clubs of all types, good leisure facilities and a very good place to bring up children. Just a pity we have to export them out of the area to get worthwhile, reasonably paid jobs.

armaghniac

What happened the Gortin Historical park?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B