The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 13, 2018, 09:55:50 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 13, 2018, 09:49:20 PM
What exactly is the allegation against Harrison I've yet to read what it is. Simply deleting messages without more is not a crime.

is he not charged with perverting the course of justice / withholding information or will these be dropped when the other three are aquitted?

See I don't know what the actual allegation is. The charge is committing an act likely to pervert the course of justice. Deleting texts could amount to that but deleting texts is not in and of itself a crime. I've yet to read what the evidence is that these texts were relevant to the alleged crime and/or they were deleted after he became aware or ought to have been aware that the texts may form evidence. I literally have no clue what the allegation against Harrison is either because I've missed it in reports or because it hasn't been reported.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

Quote from: David McKeown on March 13, 2018, 11:30:56 PM
What exactly is the allegation against Harrison I've yet to read what it is. Simply deleting messages without more is not a crime.

is he not charged with perverting the course of justice / withholding information or will these be dropped when the other three are aquitted?

See I don't know what the actual allegation is. The charge is committing an act likely to pervert the course of justice. Deleting texts could amount to that but deleting texts is not in and of itself a crime. I've yet to read what the evidence is that these texts were relevant to the alleged crime and/or they were deleted after he became aware or ought to have been aware that the texts may form evidence. I literally have no clue what the allegation against Harrison is either because I've missed it in reports or because it hasn't been reported.

Telling lads to leave their phones at home when going to police is probably part of it. After getting the text about it being non-consensual the prosecution maintain he was the one that got them together to straighten out their stories.

Maybe they don't have enough evidence to convict but put him up to try and get him to crack and rat the boys out?

AQMP

I'd need to check this but I think the PSNI didn't actually take Harrison's phone until October 2016.  I think when he was asked to attend for interview he didn't bring his phone with him (not a crime in itself) but it was then that the cops found out about the deleted text messages and also that he had carried out some sort of factory setting reset on his phone in August (at least that's the allegation?).  He claims his phone had some sort of meltdown.  He didn't tell police about the "not consensual" text from the girl nor the texts and phone calls with McIlroy and I think he gave as little away as possible in his interviews ("Dad will know what to say").  But I agree there's been little detail of the case against Harrison, I suppose the media are concentrating on Jackson and Olding.

Harrison has been incredibly stupid here, but that's not a crime (if it was, I'd have spent large chunks of my life in clink :P)

Owen Brannigan

PPS are using the combined trial of all four to paint a picture of a crime being committed by two, another attempting to join in and a fourth attempting to cover up in conjunction with others.

Harrison, if tried on his own, would walk because he was ambushed by PSNI not telling him he was being treated as other than a witness.  Prosecution tried to show he was holding back when interviewed by PSNI but he simply retorted that he didn't tell because he wasn't asked and his phone wasn't asked for. The others said much less but they had their solicitors running the show for them.  No responsibility on Harrison to tell all to PSNI.

Syferus

Quote from: AQMP on March 14, 2018, 09:38:25 AM

I'd need to check this but I think the PSNI didn't actually take Harrison's phone until October 2016.  I think when he was asked to attend for interview he didn't bring his phone with him (not a crime in itself) but it was then that the cops found out about the deleted text messages and also that he had carried out some sort of factory setting reset on his phone in August (at least that's the allegation?).  He claims his phone had some sort of meltdown.  He didn't tell police about the "not consensual" text from the girl nor the texts and phone calls with McIlroy and I think he gave as little away as possible in his interviews ("Dad will know what to say").  But I agree there's been little detail of the case against Harrison, I suppose the media are concentrating on Jackson and Olding.

Harrison has been incredibly stupid here, but that's not a crime (if it was, I'd have spent large chunks of my life in clink :P)

You've covered up for people you were told were rapists? You have a very generous reading of what Harrison did and his maliciousness, to put it mildly.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 10:47:44 AM

You've covered up for people you were told were rapists? You have a very generous reading of what Harrison did and his maliciousness, to put it mildly.

Yes I totaly seen that in his post Syferus!!!

You see things in peoples posts which are not there and then berate them as if they are criminals! what a plonker
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Prosecution closing statement delayed for some reason.

Maybe Toby Hedworth QC caught reading the GAA Board looking for advice ;)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AQMP on March 14, 2018, 11:46:19 AM
Prosecution closing statement delayed for some reason.

Maybe Toby Hedworth QC caught reading the GAA Board looking for advice ;)

Waiting for Syferus to provide him with further Advice on Proofs!!!

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 11:19:02 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 10:47:44 AM

Yes I totaly seen that in his post Syferus!!!

You see things in peoples posts which are not there and then berate them as if they are criminals! what a plonker

your safer putting thon clown on Ignore list
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

AQMP

Jury sent home.  Back tomorrow morning

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on March 14, 2018, 12:09:21 PM

Is that strange? do they have to run their statements past the judge first ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 12:12:30 PM

Haven't a clue what's going on MR2.  More legal argument maybe??

Owen Brannigan

According to Frank Greaney, a legal issue has arisen.  This will have to be resolved by the judge before proceeding. Every one of these resolutions, there have been quite a few, will be examined later by defence as reasons for an appeal should their clients be found guilty.  Must be serious enough at this stage to suspend proceedings in a trial already running behind schedule.

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 12:12:30 PM

No statements don't have to be run past the judge first. I'd be surprised if Harrison was tried simply as a tactic to try and crack the other boys. Hard to get past misjoinder or severance applications if that were the case. I can't help but feel there's probably that crucial bit i haven't read or hasn't been reported yet.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

orangeman

6 weeks or more of wading through evidence and legal argument, not to mention months of prepraring for the trial by numerous firms of solicitors and barristers mean that the costs bill is going to be a hefty one. Out of curiosity who is picking up the tab in the event of a win or a loss ?. Just asking.