Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2

Rochford has a lot to answer for with the way he's managing or mismanaging this team. The nonsense with naming a dummy team for a start, I mean wtf who's that benefitting? The league was the time to spring novices not in the melting pot against Galway. The subs, even some of the Galway lads were cheering when they saw Drake coming on. Is Barry Moran just a mascot now or what, he's either fit enough or not, yesterday was surely a day for him go come after Parsons went off. Stephen Coen how did he stay on the full game, he doesn't have the pace or speed of thought for this level of football. Also Conor Loftus needs to be taken aside and told that in championship football you need to get stuck in, you can't be wandering on the periphery the whole game. Some of our shooting and slow lateral build-up play was like root canal. Those McLoughlin misses from the frees were crucial, the whole ground seemed to know he isn't a freetaker except Rochford. Mayo are war weary now facing scorched earth with no supplies but with no choice but to go on somehow.

omagh_gael

To be fair to KW he brought on big Flynn (had already been substituted) in MF after Cooke's black card. Risky manoeuvre but Flynn paid him back by winning a monstrous kick out and moving up the pitch and scoring the final point.

Best of luck to Parsons, an absolutely gut wrenching injury.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway played fairly poorly and won by 3, we'd have taken your hand off for that result before the throw in. A lot of wailing about the standard of the football, does anyone think that the Galway squad care in the slightest? It's just about winning and getting past a serious Mayo team, its mid-May and no one will remember or care about this match at the business end of the championship. Galway haven't beaten Mayo 3 times in a row in Connacht since 83-84-87, the greats of 98-01 couldn't even do it.
The big carrot for the winner was the defined path through to the Super 8's where the victor knew that they have to beat Sligo and then Roscommon to get there.

In terms of Galway overall it was a forgettable performance where they were way off top gear, the best thing is to take the lessons and hope to play a good bit better against Sligo.
Ian Burke simply has to start the next day, did not waste any ball that he got and his movement is a joy to watch. He does the simple things well and has better vision than any other player out there from what I can see. Lovely interplay between himself and Kelly to setup the goal, Burke is just a pure baller.

All the Galway subs made an impact, the timing of the substitutions was much better from the management also and this was a distinct improvement from the league final where it was a noticeable problem. Galway could have made it a lot easier on themselves down the stretch when they had a number of opportunities to put 2 and 3 points between the sides but had some poor misses.

As I said when the selection was announced, Duggan put his hand up in the league, deserved his start yesterday and rewarded that faith with one of the more prominent Galway performances, two points from play is a huge return for a player that is in the side to provide other qualities aside from scoring. He won't kick a point every day but he took on that kick for his point in the 2nd half with confidence and conviction compared to others who dithered in the same situation, great to see.

The decisions of Silke and McDaid to relocate to America and Australia respectively is a huge loss for Galway, McDaid was the best player on that U21 side and would be strongly pushing to play in what is fairly clearly now Galway weakest line on the pitch. While Sweeney had a good showing yesterday overall to be fair, that Galway HB line will be the Achilles heel when our championship exit comes. If Duine Eile is correct with that information on Molloy, it's hard to fathom how he isn't with the team on the day even if he's not in the matchday 26.

Comer had a great 15 minutes but was well marshalled by Barrett and the Mayo sweepers in the second half. Shane Walsh had a good match but still the few bad point efforts.

Keith Higgins got through a trojan amount of work for Mayo yesterday, excellent in defence and hit a peach of a score on one of his sallies up the pitch, he wasn't nominated on the SG last night but he was, for me, by a long distance Mayo's best player and was probably the MotM with Duggan in competition. Puzzled at the introduction of Hanley, is that really the type of game and situation where you want to fire him in?

Parsons injury was horrible, he is a big loss to Mayo for the summer but making a full recovery is the most important thing and I hope it is a speedy one.

A lot of Mayo apologists for Diarmuid O'Connor are out in force today, but there is a fair body of evidence at this stage to indicate that DOC is more than fond of the dirt. He should have got a straight red in the league match against Galway for a ridiculous high challenge on Kerin and lets call out what the – which one replay angle clearly shows – calculated, premeditated elbow yesterday was: a dirty blow that there can be no excuse for.
The substantial amount of Mayo fans that applauded him off the pitch while castigating Conroy as a cheat would want to seriously cop themselves on. Not to mention the bizarre cheering when the change of Cafferkey was announced pre match, maybe they were excited about Barrett starting but how would Cafferkey and his family feel about that? I'm not trying to antagonise Mayo fans here, I was sat in the terrace with all my own Mayo relations and you couldn't fault their behaviour or that of the majority of Mayo fans but while there's a lot of backslapping given to Mayo fans by themselves and others for what they bring to the game, for a certain portion of them yesterday it was not a good look at all.

Glancing at the paper headlines this morning, the inevitable write off of Mayo has begun and just like in 2016 and 2017 it's madness. I'd be very confident they will be in the Super 8s and who knows where they'll go from there, they are a proven championship team. They have All Star talent like Harrison to come back in as starters while Keegan is one of the top 3 players in the country, and even at that, who realistically is going to beat the Mayo team that lined out yesterday in the qualifiers?

As for Galway, loads to work on, a replication of the performance yesterday won't be good enough moving forward in Connacht, a total focus on Sligo now with hopefully a couple changes to the starting 15 is required, although I do think that it's a great situation to finish a game with an arguably better team than that which started, there is some squad depth there at the moment. The team will need to improve a lot but sure they know that themselves after the terrible championship exits in 16 and 17, no chance of getting carried away anyway.
A lot of the hot air and hype about Galway after the league will have been eradicated after yesterday's performance which is no bad thing either really, KW will be delighted with that.

Syferus

Ah AFB, being respectful to your opponents is one thing but saying yesterday's level of intensity and performance wouldn't beat D3 survivors Sligo is blowing smoke up there arses, whether you meant to or not. What is it, Sligo have beaten Galway once since 1922 in Galway?

Manning18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 14, 2018, 03:33:40 PM

A lot of Mayo apologists for Diarmuid O'Connor are out in force today, but there is a fair body of evidence at this stage to indicate that DOC is more than fond of the dirt. He should have got a straight red in the league match against Galway for a ridiculous high challenge on Kerin and lets call out what the – which one replay angle clearly shows – calculated, premeditated elbow yesterday was: a dirty blow that there can be no excuse for.
The substantial amount of Mayo fans that applauded him off the pitch while castigating Conroy as a cheat would want to seriously cop themselves on. Not to mention the bizarre cheering when the change of Cafferkey was announced pre match, maybe they were excited about Barrett starting but how would Cafferkey and his family feel about that? I'm not trying to antagonise Mayo fans here, I was sat in the terrace with all my own Mayo relations and you couldn't fault their behaviour or that of the majority of Mayo fans but while there's a lot of backslapping given to Mayo fans by themselves and others for what they bring to the game, for a certain portion of them yesterday it was not a good look at all.

I agree with all of this. I was the good samartian yesterday and brought my oul fella and uncle along who wouldn't get to many games anymore at their age. Both of them referenced the behavior and edge to the Mayo fans which 'never used to be the way'. The torrents of abuse at the referee when at best they hadn't seen a replay, and at worst it was a clear elbow, was absolutely laughable. Less widespread but still there was abuse of Conroy who was quite clearly out cold or close to it, whether the elbow was accidental or not. That was really awful. Booing of free takers also.

Mayo fans have clearly been amazing and follow the team everywhere with such passion, and have this unreal pride with stuff like 'Mayo day' or throwing a Mayo jersey at every celeb they meet or how the Jersey is the only thing they'll wear abroad. Stuff that has the rest of the country cringing with embarrassment but you put up with it because it's Mayo and it's good natured and doesn't harm anyone. However there seems to be a blind spot that come with this specific side, from blind defense of player indescretions to referee abuse to complaining about the media. It's been very apparent recently, since 2012 or so and plenty of county's supporters have commented on it, the biggest probably being Donegal fans upset with Mayo fans behavior during the 2013 hammering. Have heard it from Kerry fans also, while the dubs and Ros fans can probably be taken with a pinch of salt. Still, it's been a fair fall from grace from being everyone's second team and the lovable gracious neighbor to being the set of fans people dislike most.

Duine Eile

Ah Manning18 go easy, every county has that group that would sicken you but they don't represent the whole county, there was a few Mayo around me saying O'Connor's red was undeserved and calling Conroy all sorts but there was twice as many saying it was stupid and he deserved to go. They're in every county, including our own, those silly billboards in Manulla are proof of that!

Farrandeelin

You haven't changed your tune anyway Peytoneen.

Don't worry there's a lot of bullshitters who have hopped on the bandwagon since 2012. Thou shalt not criticise any member of the Mayo setup is their mantra.

And that shite of posing with celebs... even I find that cringrworthy to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 05:18:54 PM

I agree with all of this. I was the good samartian yesterday and brought my oul fella and uncle along who wouldn't get to many games anymore at their age. Both of them referenced the behavior and edge to the Mayo fans which 'never used to be the way'. The torrents of abuse at the referee when at best they hadn't seen a replay, and at worst it was a clear elbow, was absolutely laughable. Less widespread but still there was abuse of Conroy who was quite clearly out cold or close to it, whether the elbow was accidental or not. That was really awful. Booing of free takers also.

Mayo fans have clearly been amazing and follow the team everywhere with such passion, and have this unreal pride with stuff like 'Mayo day' or throwing a Mayo jersey at every celeb they meet or how the Jersey is the only thing they'll wear abroad. Stuff that has the rest of the country cringing with embarrassment but you put up with it because it's Mayo and it's good natured and doesn't harm anyone. However there seems to be a blind spot that come with this specific side, from blind defense of player indescretions to referee abuse to complaining about the media. It's been very apparent recently, since 2012 or so and plenty of county's supporters have commented on it, the biggest probably being Donegal fans upset with Mayo fans behavior during the 2013 hammering. Have heard it from Kerry fans also, while the dubs and Ros fans can probably be taken with a pinch of salt. Still, it's been a fair fall from grace from being everyone's second team and the lovable gracious neighbor to being the set of fans people dislike most.

Leitrim supporters are far bigger wankers than Mayo supporters in general.

I can't comment on Galway football supporters because they're such an endangered species.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 05:45:20 PM

Leitrim supporters are far bigger w**kers than Mayo supporters in general.

I can't comment on Galway football supporters because they're such an endangered species.

Your posts dont normally make me laugh Syf, but that is a good 1.

Manning18

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 14, 2018, 05:29:50 PM
Ah Manning18 go easy, every county has that group that would sicken you but they don't represent the whole county, there was a few Mayo around me saying O'Connor's red was undeserved and calling Conroy all sorts but there was twice as many saying it was stupid and he deserved to go. They're in every county, including our own, those silly billboards in Manulla are proof of that!

Ah maybe. They still have their good points and I wouldn't compare them to Cork or Tipp hurling fans yet who are genuinely sickening to have to watch a match beside. It's just more that there's a bit of an edge there that's probably only come in recently

macdanger2

Odds with the bookies:

Dublin 4/6
Kerry 5/1
Tyrone 9/1
Galway 10/1
Mayo 12/1
Donegal 20/1

Would have thought we'd be longer odds than that

Maroon Manc

I'd agree with AFA that our weakest line is the half back line, I thought O'Donnell didn't offer much going forward yesterday and was ponderous when in possession and didn't put up too much of a fight when D O'Connor scored Mayo's 2nd point. Would like to see Kieran Molloy given some game time the next day but just don't see it happening.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Lavelle's kickouts, their still a work in progress but in fairness he's certainly improved and going in the right direction.

galwayman

Quote from: Therealdonald on May 14, 2018, 05:47:52 PM

Might be as well to ignore the smart arse who attempts to take over every thread on this board with his horse shit snidy remarks.

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 14, 2018, 06:16:13 PM
Odds with the bookies:

Dublin 4/6
Kerry 5/1
Tyrone 9/1
Galway 10/1
Mayo 12/1
Donegal 20/1

Would have thought we'd be longer odds than that
Kerry and Tyrone are not  good vintages
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2018, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on May 14, 2018, 05:47:52 PM

Might be as well to ignore the smart arse who attempts to take over every thread on this board with his horse shit snidy remarks.

Someone's a bit edgy.