Concerned Gaels

Started by give her dixie, June 20, 2018, 02:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 09:29:18 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 08:25:04 AM
Isn't about supporting a political cause... is highlighting the massacre of men, women and children. Regarding Palestine is the same as Argentina football team stand they took as does Ronaldo using his football profile.

Grand so. I'm sure you won't mind me showing up in Clones with my Orange Order banners and flags, to highlight the massacre of insert Troubles incident of your choice here -------->

Can I hang some Union Jack bunting around the stand where Arlene will be sitting? Just so that she feels we are all in solidarity with the terrible mental trauma her kind must feel about not being let take their silly wee drums and their silly bowler hats down the Garvahy Rd on the Glorious 12th? Then after that, can I hang some Stars and Stripes flags from all the flag poles, to show solidary with The Donald for showing those dirty Mexicans whats what? Then I want to put up big billboards around the ground of waffles. Why waffles? Well, we need to highlight the terrible human rights abuses in the Belgian Congo in the 1950's. I won't rest until the world is rid of all waffles.

Do you see where this is going?

Sounds like you're going to a DUP conference. West Brit

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2018, 07:02:42 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on June 20, 2018, 03:14:12 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 02:28:22 AM
HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

b) remain politically neutral and concentrate on football and hurling.

—-

Those who would choose to follow a) are narrow minded, myopic fools.

Nailed it.

easytiger95

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 20, 2018, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2018, 07:02:42 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on June 20, 2018, 03:14:12 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 02:28:22 AM
HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

b) remain politically neutral and concentrate on football and hurling.

—-

Those who would choose to follow a) are narrow minded, myopic fools.
Spot on.

It is quite difficult ground though guys. Instinctively I'm an option B man - I think it is hugely important for the GAA to maintain at least an appearance of political neutrality, and I spoke out quite vehemently when pro-life GAA members tried to imply that the organisation itself supported that cause. I don't think Concerned Gaels have stepped over that line.

However, as someone who followed and supported the actions taken by Colin Kaepernick and his compatriots in the NFL, the right to protest by athletes should never be taken for granted.

So perhaps the way I thread the needle is that I am hugely opposed that an organisation like the GAA be co-opted by political causes, when it is ostensibly a sporting organisation (and its survival and prosperity in all 32 counties will depend on it appealing to a diverse population).

But I am not opposed to individual athletes or supporters taking a stand or protesting, providing that it is clear that it is a personal stance they are taking or that they are not trying to represent the GAA itself.

That said, it would be a different matter if the GAA were operating in an international sphere. The IRFU did not cover itself in glory during the apartheid years, and I do think that the situation in Palestine at the moment amounts to a form of apartheid.

It is a very difficult line to walk.

Rossfan

As a person who is  100% pro Palestinian I don't agree with this petition.
As pointed out  we'll have flags or placards for  every political or other cause all over our grounds on match days if allowed. .
Why doesn't Mr Hurson and the "Concerned Gaels" hold protests or demonstrations outside our grounds before big matches?

As for Syferus sadly he is a real person and is full of neo liberal right wing nonsense as his frontal lobe hasn't yet fully developed.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 09:31:38 AM
Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 09:29:18 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 08:25:04 AM
Isn't about supporting a political cause... is highlighting the massacre of men, women and children. Regarding Palestine is the same as Argentina football team stand they took as does Ronaldo using his football profile.

Grand so. I'm sure you won't mind me showing up in Clones with my Orange Order banners and flags, to highlight the massacre of insert Troubles incident of your choice here -------->

Can I hang some Union Jack bunting around the stand where Arlene will be sitting? Just so that she feels we are all in solidarity with the terrible mental trauma her kind must feel about not being let take their silly wee drums and their silly bowler hats down the Garvahy Rd on the Glorious 12th? Then after that, can I hang some Stars and Stripes flags from all the flag poles, to show solidary with The Donald for showing those dirty Mexicans whats what? Then I want to put up big billboards around the ground of waffles. Why waffles? Well, we need to highlight the terrible human rights abuses in the Belgian Congo in the 1950's. I won't rest until the world is rid of all waffles.

Do you see where this is going?

Sounds like you're going to a DUP conference. West Brit

Yes, it does, doesn't it? And won't it be great craic altogether when every single match is invaded by politically motivated people who feel they are perfectly entitled to use a sporting occassion to further whatever it is that they believe in, or feel strongly about? I'd imagine most people would change their tune right sharpish, if said protests, demonstrations, banners and flags were for causes that they DIDN'T believe in. You don't get to pick and choose on things like this. If you open up GAA grounds to this issue in particualr, then you open them up to everything. The good. The bad. The ugly. The truly deranged. That would not be a good thing imo.

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 07:38:54 AM
Good luck with the petition and highlighting such an injustice and sending that visible support. If it's through the GAA so be it. There is so much support has gone out from Ireland to the oppressed people of Palestine both moral support and in the way of aid. Pay no heed to the tory "Im alright fuc you Jack" crowd.

Whatever your political view, and there can't be many in the GAA who disagree with the sentiments that John and the others are trying to promote, the real question is whether the GAA should be used as a vehicle to promote this. If my memory serves me correctly, you yourself were very critical of Mickey Harte's use of the GAA to promote his views on the abortion debate (I agreed with you I'm most definitely not trying to reignite that debate here - but it is a case in point) and if we allow expressions of any political / divisive view points become the norm in the GAA then we are heading into very muddy waters. People can protest all they want, about whatever issue they want to protest about outside the ground, canvas opinions of GAA folk as they sup their pints in the pubs, encourage them to sign the petitions and get involved with the campaign. But I'm afraid I would come down on the side of the argument that once inside the ground we should be concentrating on the hurling and the football.
That was never a square ball!!

Keyser soze

There are indubitably some GAA people out there who support the Israeli stance on Palestine, should they also be allowed to use the Association as a vehicle to show that support?

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 20, 2018, 10:02:05 AM
Good luck with the petition and highlighting such an injustice and sending that visible support. If it's through the GAA so be it. There is so much support has gone out from Ireland to the oppressed people of Palestine both moral support and in the way of aid. Pay no heed to the tory "Im alright fuc you Jack" crowd.

Whatever your political view, and there can't be many in the GAA who disagree with the sentiments that John and the others are trying to promote, the real question is whether the GAA should be used as a vehicle to promote this. If my memory serves me correctly, you yourself were very critical of Mickey Harte's use of the GAA to promote his views on the abortion debate (I agreed with you I'm most definitely not trying to reignite that debate here - but it is a case in point) and if we allow expressions of any political / divisive view points become the norm in the GAA then we are heading into very muddy waters. People can protest all they want, about whatever issue they want to protest about outside the ground, canvas opinions of GAA folk as they sup their pints in the pubs, encourage them to sign the petitions and get involved with the campaign. But I'm afraid I would come down on the side of the argument that once inside the ground we should be concentrating on the hurling and the football.

I hear what you're saying but Harte was trying to use the GAA to influence a vote. This is a humanitarian issue and the GAA is being used all the time to highlight humanitarian issues. It's genocide it's not a war.

Beffs

Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 10:22:36 AM

I hear what you're saying but Harte was trying to use the GAA to influence a vote. This is a humanitarian issue and the GAA is being used all the time to highlight humanitarian issues. It's genocide it's not a war.

But that is what the No campaigners were saying too. They felt just as strongly about the human rights of the unborn, as you do about the Palestinians. If they had their way, there would be placards and billboards of aborted foetuses all over Croke Park. Who gets to decide who is right or wrong, or what displays are or are not acceptable? You?

seafoid

The US had just pulled out of the UN human rights council because Israel can't take the heat. Israel is an apartheid state.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/19/us-quits-un-human-rights-council-cesspool-political-bias
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 10:25:00 AM

But that is what the No campaigners were saying too. They felt just as strongly about the human rights of the unborn, as you do about the Palestinians. If they had their way, there would be placards and billboards of aborted foetuses all over Croke Park. Who gets to decide who is right or wrong, or what displays are or are not acceptable? You?

Harte was trying to influence a vote. This is highlighting the plight of people being slaughtered.

general_lee

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 20, 2018, 10:02:43 AM
There are indubitably some GAA people out there who support the Israeli stance on Palestine, should they also be allowed to use the Association as a vehicle to show that support?
They should be repeatedly punched in the face.

Beffs

Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 10:25:00 AM

Harte was trying to influence a vote. This is highlighting the plight of people being slaughtered.

Which is what a lot of No campaigners were saying too.

That is what the vote they were trying to influence was all about.

Are you genuinely incapable of connecting the dots here?

Jinxy

Everybody is in favour of the GAA being apolitical, until it is their personal political stance being excluded.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 20, 2018, 10:46:30 AM
Everybody is in favour of the GAA being apolitical, until it is their personal political stance being excluded.

Is the GAA apolitical though? History tells a different tale.
#newbridgeornowhere