Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Hyland needs to get someone in to help him develop the game plan to increase our scoring rate, maybe even double it. That said we are limited in the forwards we have so it's difficult. Keating would be a welcome addition but if he wants to come back on on his own terms he can frig off. Mooney could be someone who could do a job and great to see Joe Dillon back. I'd have my doubts about Kevin Tierney but he's worth a look. If all those we're back in and training hard we might have a different dynamic.

Westside

To be fair Itchy, there wasn't much wrong with our scoring rate this year. We racked up some nice scores in the League and scored well in all 3 Championship games. The gameplan definitely developed last year for the better. The Argue experiment either needs to be dropped or seriously reviewed.

Itchy

No goal threat is a big problem.

rodney trotter

Peter Reilly stepped down back in August.. There was nothing wrong with Cavan scoring record this year. They scored 1 -16 in the defeat to Roscommon.. They conceded 3-17 which was problem.They were creating goal chances but not converting. Dunne missed a penalty against Galway, Bud Fitz missed a handy chance in that game for goal. There was goal chances against Meath not converted.
Liam McHale was brought in as a forward coach so they were obviously going to be more attacking.

It's about getting the mix between a solid defence and a good attack. Will be a new coach and at least 1 new selector so diiferent ideads in 2016.

Itchy

Should've would've could've. Didn't stick the ball in the net enough and that needs to be addressed.

rodney trotter

Yeah they may import Bernard Brogan and the Gooch.

Itchy

You don't think a team can be set up in a way to increase goal scoring, it's all down to the players? Bullshit I say. Lazy comment there Rodney in my opinion.

rodney trotter

What are you on about? I said they were creating goal chances but not converting. Were you at the Galway game in the League, or Meath game, or Kildare game?

Cavan were lacking height in the forwards this year with no Givney or Keating which made things more difficult. Fermanagh have a natural goal scorer in Sean Quigely. There is no real natural goal scorers on the Cavan team, even at Club level. Kevin Tierney maybe one option, wether he can do it at Senior County remains to be seen.

Itchy

What I am on about is that Cavan have one of the worst scoring records of any team. You replied with a smart arse comment about bringing in brogan and gooch. To me that comment implies you have to have top players to score goals. That's crap in my opinion. Most goals come from either overlaps from deep or turning teams over high up the field and even just pushing up on kick outs. Cavan have not really implemented any of these tactics which could help them score goals. We may not score as many as Kerry or Dublin but we need to get back up above average at least

rodney trotter

You also need  strong running players to create the over lap, which Cavan lack. Terry Hyland said it himself that Cavan are quite a small team for an Inter County team.  That isn't crap

The team that started against Roscommon was one of the smallest County forward lines in the Country. Look at Down they lack a goal threat since Benny Coulter left. David Giveny, Keating, Killian Clarke, Turloc Mooney  that is 4 players who would give Cavan a more powerful look, they missed the Championship. Keating , Givney and Mooney obviously missed the whole year.

Itchy

Embarrassing stuff in breffni today, not one county standard player on display from either ballyhaise or Kingscourt with the exception of potentially david Brady. Well done to temple port but that doesn't cover over just how poor our club scene is.

BallyhaiseMan

Yep we were disappointing as Itchy said, great workrate and effort,but just came up short. Davie is going to be  an absolute star, he's already a beast of a man and he's only 18.
I didn't stay for the Kingscourt game, They are better than that,even if Kilcoo are very strong, what happened??

Itchy

I'm afraid kingscourt were totally outclassed, Kilcoo just miles better. Sad but true.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Itchy on November 01, 2015, 05:52:06 PM
I'm afraid kingscourt were totally outclassed, Kilcoo just miles better. Sad but true.

I see, What do you lads reckon the problem is then?? Too many teams in the senior championship,some of whom have no business being there?
Do we need to run the Junior and Intermediate  competitions before the senior starts to allow for  properly prepared divisional/amalgamation teams to enter to improve quality???
It's hard to know, Kingscourt would have by my reckoning, 3 certain starters(if fit) for the IC team next year,Faulkner,Barry Reily and Tinnelly with Joe Dillon  and James Farrelly other potential panel members.
Its not a great sign if our county champions with probably 4/5 members of next years county panel are getting  a doing like that.

rodney trotter

Kingscourt while County Champions were beaten twice in the Championship by Mullahoran and Ramor. Mullahoran game was obviously a premlinary round game. It wasn't a great sign for a team representing the County going into Ulster.

I didn't expect Kingcourt to win today, but  I wasn't expecting them to get that hammering. Kilcoo have won the last 4 Down Championship and were in the Ulster Club final in 2012 losing narrowly to Crossmaglen. There pace and movement was on a different level to Kingscourt. Conor Laverty showed his class.