Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I totally disagree with that Rodney. If we want to win Ulster then we need to be getting to Div 1. Monaghan, Donegal, Tyrone are up there - why would we be outclassed by them. There are many reasons Westmeath went to crap, main one being changing the manager that got them to Div1.

rodney trotter

Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Mayo when on form, those teams would outclass Cavan. The other teams wouldn't , but they all play the dogged defensive system.

Monaghan or Tyrone could be going down.. Westmeath weren't ready for Division 1 football, regardless of changing the manager. It was  a shock to most when they were promoted.

Do you think Cavan have the firepower for Division 1? Monaghan have grinded out a few wins thanks to the brilliance of McManus, have a Cavan a McManus type in the ff line

Itchy

You strive to play at the highest level possible Rodney, you raise your standards when playing the best. I'd rather us see saw between Div1 and Div2 than be in a dogged all ulster dogfight in Div2. Are you suggesting we should let Meath best us next day.

rodney trotter

What do you think? No, and even if they do beat Meath it will still be depending on other results.

There is striving and there is being realistic

Westside

I don't think we'd survive Division 1 either. But if we went up, worst case scenario is that we're back in Div 2 for 2017. I know teams can sometimes free fall but I think you'd still have learned more than staying in Div 2 for another year.

rodney trotter

Also it took Cavan until round 6 to get the first goal in the National League 2015 .  They missed a pen against Gaway, but prior to that creating very little goal chances. That wouldn't be good enough in Division 1

Westside

We should have had 2 goals against Laois, Paul Smith missed a sitter in the first half and took a point in the second when through on goal. Should have had 2 against Galway as well, penalty missed and a 3 on 1 ruined by a poor last pass. Gunner should have had a goal against Kildare. All very easy chances missed but at least the opportunities were carved out, we need to be more clinical.

So Galway beat Roscommon. Am I right in saying if Laois Beat Down and we beat Meath we go up regardless of what anyone else does?

rodney trotter

Gunner was off balance on his left foot against Kildare, was easier chances then it

Yeah looks like that, although Donie Kingston got a straight red for Laois against Kildare, he is their main forward with Munnelly, big loss. Down are at home again next week, can't see them slipping up again

Westside

If we beat Meath and Roscommon either lose to Westmeath or beat them by less than we beat Meath, we'd also go up.

mylestheslasher

Fantastic last day in prospect. No pressure on Cavan, its mission accomplished so far and anything else is a bonus. Would be brilliant to go down to Navan and clinch promotion though. I've a feeling one of the other games at least could go our way.

Westside

Easy talking now I know but had the lads got that goal against Galway in the dying minutes of the game we'd be very confident of our chances of going up if we beat Meath! Still, surviving was a big step forward. We've proved we are Division 2 standard.

The League Final would clash with the New York trip wouldn't it?

Itchy

So is the Div2 final on the same time as the trip to new York. I expect the county board have a lot of money invested in that trip. What will they do?

rodney trotter

They won't be doing anything unless it comes to that, Meath are also going for promotion and won't be easy beaten, Ciaran Gillispie , Kevin Reilly back after missing most of the League. Meath had a good  win in Newry and will be fairly confident.

Galway had a good win in Roscommon with the inlusion of the Corofin players, just as well they were missing against Cavan

five points

Division 2 final isn't til April 26th so there's no clash with the NY trip if we get there.

Westside

Why was Gearoid captain on Sunday and not Damien O'Reilly?