Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 26, 2014, 01:54:34 PM
Yes Benny should never have been allowed to retire.
They should have maybe kidnapped a member of his family or threatened him with some other dastardly deed.
Wise yourself up.

So you don't agree that McCurry should have encouraged him to stay on? This retirement has been forced by McCurry, the list in the papr today is extremely concerning and I'd be worried what the players think of the appointment of the Lurgan man and a very poor backroom team.

Mid Down Gael

Against Tyrone in omagh and in replay in Newry last year Dan Mccartan, Dan Gordon, Liam Doyle, Brendan Coulter, Ambrose Rogers and another player not mentioned in yesterday's paper, Decky Rooney are all gone! That's over a third of a team and players which great experience. Add Martin Clarke to this list that also won't committ to a rigorous regime and Down are without some great players going into 2014.
What also would concern me is that two of the top 3 clubs in Down are only represented by 3 players, 2 Burren & 1 Bridge, Kevin Mckernan, Donal Ohare from the former & Conor Garvey from the  latter.
Jim McGuinress Came into Donegal a few years back, and while he asked for serious dedication, the first thing be done was put the arm round the top players in Donegal and got them to play for him.
Also contrary to irish news yesterday, none of the  Branagan brothers from Kilcoo are involved. In a county short of tight marking defenders surely either of these 3 brothers would have been good additions.

ardtole

I didnt see the Irish news yesterday does anyone have a list of the players on this years panel?

Shamrocks Gaelp

It just mentioned mooney, packie Downey, art mcconville and daryl and niall brannigan joining the setup, didn't state wether this was McKenna cup or otherwise. Also a big write up about Ross McGarry

DownFanatic

Two McKay's from St John's, Ciaran Carville from Teconnnaught and Gerdie Collins from RGU all supposedly involved too.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Chris and Danny are two fantastic players, good to see them getting a shit after a good year with drumnaquoile. Who are those other names? Heard Carville mentioned a lot when we drew with techonnaught out in techonnaught, but u can't rember what he looked like and where he played, and who is collins from downpatrick? Any saul players no?

Shamrocks Gaelp

Getting a shit? My god autocorrect hates me ! Getting a go* and I meant I can't remember what he looked like* sorry for any inconvenience

ardtole

Definitely a clean slate. I hope things work out for him, its a bold move, I would guess it will be quite a defensive system with a lot of pace in the forwards with Mooney, Laverty and Jerome Johnson prominent. I think  McKernan will have a key role along with Garvey and Laverty.
Its sad to see so many key players gone for one reason or another but maybe its time for new lads to step up to the plate. The McKenna cup will be interesting in  Jan.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 29, 2014, 08:46:25 AM
Against Tyrone in omagh and in replay in Newry last year Dan Mccartan, Dan Gordon, Liam Doyle, Brendan Coulter, Ambrose Rogers and another player not mentioned in yesterday's paper, Decky Rooney are all gone! That's over a third of a team and players which great experience. Add Martin Clarke to this list that also won't committ to a rigorous regime and Down are without some great players going into 2014.
What also would concern me is that two of the top 3 clubs in Down are only represented by 3 players, 2 Burren & 1 Bridge, Kevin Mckernan, Donal Ohare from the former & Conor Garvey from the  latter.
Jim McGuinress Came into Donegal a few years back, and while he asked for serious dedication, the first thing be done was put the arm round the top players in Donegal and got them to play for him.
Also contrary to irish news yesterday, none of the  Branagan brothers from Kilcoo are involved. In a county short of tight marking defenders surely either of these 3 brothers would have been good additions.

Nail on head, it has went from one extreme to the other with Burren, too many on the panel last year and too little this year.  If Rooney isn't in the top 10 defenders in the county we must have some defenders.  Burren and the bridge should now have very strong league campaigns because of it.

Ross searched the county and looked throughout the lower leagues for players and did any of the actually last more than a year?   Il probably get abuse for this but IMO some of these players brought in will be brought in to tick a box and won't actually see much football.

You could probably name a team that is not on the panel that cold beat a team on the panel.   All the best to McCurry but I don't think u can let go of so many experienced players and expect to be successful at least in the medium term anyway.

Who are the Kilcoo players on the panel? Laverty, 2 Johnstons, Devlin, anyone else?  The two younger Brannigans definitely deserved a shot considering the scarcity of decent corner backs in the county

mccool85

Why do the Branagans not want to play MDG?

outback

Prediction for April 2015.  Phonecalls will be made or feelers put
out to those that can't commit just yet.

Mourne Rover

Outback's prediction is a reasonable one, although there could be some calls before April.  Marty Clarke is reportedly starting a course at Jordanstown as part of an arrangement which will probably involve a commitment to the UUJ Sigerson campaign. When the Sigerson weekend is over at the end of February, he should be fit enough to get a recall to the Down squad.

Jim Gavin made clear in his newspaper interviews today that he is happy to allow some Dublin players to take time out due to personal circumstances and bring them back at different stages during the league. It is also worth remembering that our best midfielder last summer was Dan Gordon, who only started county training the week after our first championship game.

If we have 15 young players who nail down places during the league, that would be a nice problem to have. We are still likely to need proven performers when the championship comes round, as long as they are as fit as everyone else.

elk

don't understand why people think the brannigans are the answer to down's defensive problems, surely all they do is foul !

charlieTully

Quote from: elk on November 29, 2014, 09:39:51 PM
don't understand why people think the brannigans are the answer to down's defensive problems, surely all they do is foul !

Agree.  Mcmanus showed aiden up badly a few weeks back. 

Shamrocks Gaelp

Choc has had his time with down. The two younger brothers are worth a shot in my opinion. Outbacks prediction is also spot on, there will undoubtedly be a turnaround during or after the league. Surely mccorry won't let them leave without a fight ?