James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on February 16, 2021, 10:53:00 AM
Perhaps it is how he comes across that is the problem, not necessarily what he is saying?

Had he been an English international playing for a top 6 team, this sort of thing would be making the front pages and you could rest assured that the FA and police would have had it sorted.  It's the media picking and choosing who they want to depict as "victims" and "villains" depending on their own skewed narrative.

Regarding his "history lesson" balaclava example, although it was a tongue in cheek joke, the truth of the matter is men patrolled the streets of N. Ireland wearing balaclavas on a daily basis.  Balaclavas are associated with paramilitaries and how the media wanted to spin that story was down to them.

No lad, the problem is people are threatening to kill him, his wife and his kids. That is the problem.
A secondary problem is some people think that is James's fault.

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 10:39:03 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 16, 2021, 10:30:19 AM
Yeh I agree, he deserves to get death threats.
I totally disagree with your assertion that McClean deserves to get death threats

And if you roll your eyes at that deliberate and performative dismissal of sarcasm, well, I'm only adding to the farce that those who totally refuse to see that McClean posting pro-PIRA stuff might just be an issue for a lot of people in England, have already decided to lay on rich and thick

I'll ask again as this accusation is thrown out yet again, what has he posted?

Itchy

Quote from: johnnycool on February 16, 2021, 11:04:53 AM
I totally disagree with your assertion that McClean deserves to get death threats

And if you roll your eyes at that deliberate and performative dismissal of sarcasm, well, I'm only adding to the farce that those who totally refuse to see that McClean posting pro-PIRA stuff might just be an issue for a lot of people in England, have already decided to lay on rich and thick

Johnny, you are about to enter a debate with Sid. Do yourself a favour and don't.

sid waddell

It's not an accusation

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on February 16, 2021, 10:49:22 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 16, 2021, 10:45:26 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 16, 2021, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 16, 2021, 10:41:22 AM
A lot of posters doing their best to justify the sectarian abuse McClean receives on a daily basis here.

The usual suspects of course.

If it was Neil Lennon getting the abuse you'd be saying he deserves it.

Neil Lennon does not deserve the sectarian abuse that comes his way.

He does deserve abuse for the poor job he has done at Celtic and utter contempt he has show the fans during this season.

You on the other hand justify sectarian abuse of McClean.

You were probably one of the ones writing the letters to Lennon. And I haven't justified any abuse. Your usual twisting. #angeloout

So NL deserves abuse just not sectarian abuse...

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 11:09:11 AM

It's not an accusation

Then there must be proof. What was it he posted?

sid waddell

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 10:57:08 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 16, 2021, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 10:45:13 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 09:23:34 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 16, 2021, 07:21:52 AM
In summary, it's wrong what is happening to McClean but he certified doesn't help himself. A nice fella by all accounts but some common sense wouldn't do him any harm at times too.

As a Derry man, I must agree, btw he was never known for being sharpest tool in the box, disgrace treatment of him, but he should have made his stance, stood by it and kept his mouth shut

Yeh I agree, he deserves to get death threats. He shouldnt have an open opinion on his own country and should keep his gob shut in case he annoys Johnny Englishman. In fact, I think teachers, when they actually get back to doing a bit of teaching in 2022 maybe, should make sure to tell kids to give in to bullying and threats and keep quite and be a good little paddy.

Now don't be silly, where did I say that, I had a relative shot on Bloody Sunday so I support his stance 100% but by jesus balaclavas and wolfe tones etc, no need , he has his own peoples support, but need to actively antagonise people

Why should McClean be held to a higher standard than everyone else?

How would you feel about a player playing loyalist songs or dressing up as UVF man?
Be hilarious if it was a Celtic player who did it, just to see his reaction

I remember the outraged reaction from Celtic supporters when Paul Gascoigne did a playing the flute gesture at Celtic Park as a joke, I thought it was pretty funny myself

He got death threats as a result

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/gazza-ira-threatened-me-after-my-flute-band-antics-31295900.html

sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on February 16, 2021, 11:13:32 AM

It's not an accusation

You have Google

It'll take you less time to find it than it took to write that post

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 11:18:12 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 16, 2021, 11:13:32 AM

It's not an accusation

You have Google

It'll take you less time to find it than it took to write that post

Googled there and the only thing I saw was the one with him wearing the balaclava which I've already said was in poor taste.
I don't do Instagram, but you've obviously saw more than that, please share.

BennyCake

Quote from: JimStynes on February 16, 2021, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 16, 2021, 10:51:34 AM
It's not even remotely possible to discuss this subject objectively with people who evaluate Irish nationalism and British nationalism a two completely different things.

If I had a work colleague who put pro IRA or pro UVF things on their social media they'd be sacked.

Who has the authority to sack them?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2021, 11:54:45 AM
It's not even remotely possible to discuss this subject objectively with people who evaluate Irish nationalism and British nationalism a two completely different things.

If I had a work colleague who put pro IRA or pro UVF things on their social media they'd be sacked.

I think its pretty well embedded in our employment laws, your feet wouldn't touch the ground on way out, major no no, I think a lot of people forget we are trying to create a peaceful future for EVERYONE

nrico2006

Had the same question as johnnycool - what pro-IRA stuff has he posted?  The balaclava thing is the only thing I can remember too and that seemed like more of a joke than anything.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sid waddell

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 16, 2021, 12:19:08 PM
Had the same question as johnnycool - what pro-IRA stuff has he posted?  The balaclava thing is the only thing I can remember too and that seemed like more of a joke than anything.
To you it's a joke

To others it's a joke at the expense of those murdered by the PIRA, ie. not a joke at all

I'd tend to strongly agree with the latter, not the former

Funnily enough I'd expect most posters here would not class a joke at the expense of the dead of Bloody Sunday or the Dublin and Monaghan bombings as a "joke"

And neither would I

BennyCake

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 16, 2021, 11:58:58 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 16, 2021, 11:54:45 AM

I think its pretty well embedded in our employment laws, your feet wouldn't touch the ground on way out, major no no, I think a lot of people forget we are trying to create a peaceful future for EVERYONE

So, if you post a photograph of yourself in an Easter rising commemorative GAA shirt or a photograph of you at Michael Collins' grave, you'll be sacked?

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 16, 2021, 12:19:08 PM
To you it's a joke

To others it's a joke at the expense of those murdered by the PIRA, ie. not a joke at all

I'd tend to strongly agree with the latter, not the former

Funnily enough I'd expect most posters here would not class a joke at the expense of the dead of Bloody Sunday or the Dublin and Monaghan bombings as a "joke"

And neither would I

I'll give you that one, it was poor taste and he apologised for it IIRC but it was hardly pro- PIRA

Anything else hes put up?