Avoid cliches like the plague!

Started by Lecale2, February 05, 2009, 12:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

God I hate some of the awful cliches people throw into conversations, especially at work meetings.

I was at a meeting the other day and the HR Director finished off her presentation with the immoral words - "at the end of the day, the bottom line is you will catch more fish with honey than with vinegar!"

Some people wouldn't even recognise a cliche if they found it in their soup.

Spirit of 94

I hate cliches too, but hey, whatever floats your boat. ;)

The Forfeit Point

when all is said and done, cliché is becoming a bit of a cliché   ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 05, 2009, 12:33:33 PM
God I hate some of the awful cliches people throw into conversations, especially at work meetings.

I was at a meeting the other day and the HR Director finished off her presentation with the immoral words - "at the end of the day, the bottom line is you will catch more fish with honey than with vinegar!"

Immortal?

SidelineKick

Don't bother trying to teach a pig to sing; you only waste your time and annoy the pig.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Spirit of 94

Quote from: SidelineKick on February 05, 2009, 12:55:29 PM
Don't bother trying to teach a pig to sing; you only waste your time and annoy the pig.

It worked for Michelle McManus.

mannix

Another annoyance is RTE reporters saying "basically" all the time and miriam o callaghans ridiculous accent, only for I look at her more listen to her I would go nuts.
NOT MUCH TO WORRY US THANK GOD.

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

SidelineKick

Quote from: Spirit of 94 on February 05, 2009, 12:59:29 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on February 05, 2009, 12:55:29 PM

It worked for Michelle McManus.

You're thinking of whales.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ONeill

Cliches are a dime a dozen basically.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Actually, in point of fact, I feel myself that at this point of time in this country, clichés really come in at a dime a dozen and anyone who doesn't reach a consensus with me on that note basically must be batting for the other team.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Doogie Browser

That kind of talk is horses for courses though with weather forecasters.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 05, 2009, 02:08:05 PM
Actually, in point of fact, I feel myself that at this point of time in this country, clichés really come in at a dime a dozen and anyone who doesn't reach a consensus with me on that note basically must be batting for the other team.

Lar You really need to step up to the plate on this issue, either that or take it off-line.
Tbc....

heineken_on_tap

Let's get our ducks in a row - this one drives me mad ::)

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 05, 2009, 12:33:33 PM

i have fished a few times but never used honey as bate