The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Mentor

There is a lot of weekend and evening work involved with the job. Apart from schools, no club wants a GDA during the day Monday to Friday. I'd imagine having a social life would be quite difficult. I have to say all the GDA's we have had have always been more than willing to help clubs when asked and have brought value to every session. Peter will be missed.

Zooming around

Quote from: Mad Mentor on July 07, 2020, 08:50:23 AM
There is a lot of weekend and evening work involved with the job. Apart from schools, no club wants a GDA during the day Monday to Friday. I'd imagine having a social life would be quite difficult. I have to say all the GDA's we have had have always been more than willing to help clubs when asked and have brought value to every session. Peter will be missed.

I'd agree with you there. I always find them very helpful when they come to our club.

Is there any word on a replacement for Peter Halley.

CluainABU

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on July 02, 2020, 10:05:25 PM
Slieve Blooms future has been taken away with those transfers, over a jersey? How it was let happen is a disgrace. Realistically no player in Laois should be granted a transfer to another club inside the county, particularly a lad from a junior/small club to a senior club, bar its something like a lad moving from clonaslee to graiguecullen other than that its a small enough county, lads from every club regardless of grade should be given an oppurtunity to hurl or kick senior.

Regarding mass amalgamations at underage i feel every club should make an effort to try go solo for as long as possible even if it means playing B, Rosenallis are a prime example of this and you can see the benefits of it now for them. And even if some smaller clubs feel the need to go together they should try go with a club of simular size, surely better for kilcavan and the rock playing football together than sending young lads into mountmellick as it for mountmellick too, same with Ballinakill going with Ballypickas in hurling rather than taking lads into Abbeyleix or The Harps who have numbers on their own

All you have to do is look over the ditches where galmoy/windgap is the only underage amalgamation in Kilkenny, Ballyhale play at C level sometimes if they have to, meanwhile in Offaly you have Birr going in with two other clubs at some grades to make up teams.

I hear what you're saying @Ballyroan Abbey re. clubs of similar sizes going together, as opposed to "super clubs". However, especially at Juvenile level, for most parents, they are not going to travel unreasonable distances to play GAA, with a similar sized club, if there's a soccer pitch, or rugby pitch closer. If there's a neighboring GAA club, no matter how big the numbers, then that's the more practical option.

On the option of clubs like Clonaslee and Slieve Bloom going on their own at U13, which @clonadmad mentions, I don't believe that's an option either, like you said. Slieve Bloom have been cleaned out at juvenile by Castletown, who are the same parish, so it's difficult to see how they will recover. I believe Trumera are on their own at a few juvenile grades this year too and finding numbers though. For clubs like those mentioned, I think amalgamation is the realistic route to survival. For that to work, you really need to be looking at your neighboring clubs. Whatever about the options for Clonaslee, given their location, Slieve Bloom should be a strong candidate not just from their own perspective, but also from the perspective of other clubs in the vicinity - which includes Castletown, despite the recent difficulties between both clubs. If they end up going in with the likes of Ballyfin, Mountrath or whoever else on a full amalgamation, the parish rule that cleaned them out, might have the opposite effect with that "super club" and bolster numbers in that new arrangement.

The "super club" isn't a fad. Whether it be for the benefits it brings in terms playing numbers, resources ($$$), number of pitches etc. etc., IMO it makes a lot more sense to have players representing your area in a healthy "super club" and using your club grounds as part of that setup, when the alternative is watching your club slowly decline, while you wait for what?

Keyser Söze

Just on this.
I think Clonaslee have proved themselves a bit difficult to work with at underage level. And you can't exactly criticize Rosenallis for how their solo run has gone.
Similarly from enquiries I have made Slieve Bloom may well have shot themselves in the foot regarding their former juvenile arrangement. Reports of almost zero involvement in coaching teams and (unbelievable if true) their club not even being represented on juvenile committees over a number of years wouldn't draw much sympathy.
Only those involved know the full story in all of the instances. Pity. There did seem to be potentially successful arrangements between Clonaslee & Rosenallis and Castletown/Slieve Bloom. Rosenallis appear to be the only ones who have emerged from all of this in a positive position.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Will there be any underage intercounty hurling this year?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Ogie

Are we back to two weeks of senior teams training in parks & farmers fields again??

SCFC

Quote from: Ogie on August 10, 2020, 01:59:49 PM
Are we back to two weeks of senior teams training in parks & farmers fields again??
It's soul destroying. Personally, I can see the rationale for the "LOKdown" but I feel sorry for the young lads who've been working hard for the past couple of months trying to prepare as best possible for their championships.
The whole shebang must be in doubt at this stage. Best case scenario, the semi finals and finals will be played after Laois senior footballers and hurlers exit their respective championships.

Ogie

Not at all, we'll be back playing championship the week after this lockdown, if not sooner

I hope the Gaa decide tonight to keep the pitches open, allow training in groups of 15, to make life easier on all clubs

SCFC

Quote from: Ogie on August 10, 2020, 05:25:28 PM
I hope the Gaa decide tonight to keep the pitches open, allow training in groups of 15, to make life easier on all clubs
That's happened anyway🙂
It's a chink of light in the dark. Lot depends on the numbers for the next 10 days. Zero today in Laois is good.

Blow-in

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/569192/limerick-gaa-launch-review-into-the-nuts-and-bolts-of-post-primary-schools-hurling.html

Anyone think we need to implement something like this? When a county like Limerick is doing it sure we need too when our Post Primary section is so weak. Are our county board supporting our Post Primary schools? These schools should be mini academy's producing future senior hurlers.

Spiritof1915

Laois minors training over the weekend and a young lad gets knocked out and brought to hospital. Ends up with 5 staples in his head and will miss next 2 games of his club championship.  Worst thing is family will have to cover medical expenses as no County training allowed.

The PRO

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on September 07, 2020, 09:42:03 AM
Laois minors training over the weekend and a young lad gets knocked out and brought to hospital. Ends up with 5 staples in his head and will miss next 2 games of his club championship.  Worst thing is family will have to cover medical expenses as no County training allowed.
Without knowing anything about this, if it is as described by you, the family would have a good case to either seek legal redress from the county board or at least have all expenses covered by the county board.

Keyser Söze

Surely this is an instance where CB officers use their discretion and quietly settle any bills required.
Unless of course the team was training without the CB's knowledge? Hard to imagine that they would be.

I was one of the sceptics, but apparently it's going fairly well?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Spiritof1915

Minor semi finals this weekend
R/E v Abbeyleix
The harps v Rosenallis.
Rosenallis seem to be the favourites to win it out
Unbelievable work if they could win a minor A to go with their success over the last few years.

merman

I stand to be corrected but I think Abbeyleix won with this crop at U12; Clough/Ballacolla at U13, Borris/Kilcotton at U14 and Rathdowney/Errill at U15.
It's been a great grade.

I think Rosenallis might well win it.