Should Eoin McGrath Have Taken The Point?

Started by agorm, July 29, 2007, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Fantastic second half, once again these two teams provide me with the best hang over cure ever, Don't know about anyone but i didn't want it to end. hurling really is putting the big ball to shame regarding excitement etc. The game will bring Waterford further on, I fancy them to win the replay. If they fail they are surely the best team not to win an All-Ireland.

I felt McGrath had every right to go for goal and the rebound should have been netted anyway. Looking forward to the replay.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Don

With the bookies this replay is 50 50. What odds would P Flynn have been to score a goal if he had taken the free. Probably odds on to score, he should have taken it and went for a goal. 

cnoc16

the reason it wasn't a penalty is because it was a technical foul and a technical foul (foul on the ball) only warrants a 21 yeard free. a penalty is awarded when it is a foul on the player.

Mcgrath was dead right to go for the goal and in my opinion flynn should have taken the peno and gone for it. if waterford believe they are better than cork they should have finished it there and then.

i think waterford shot too many wides when the sensible option was to carry it in further or let it into the forwards. what was the story with eoin kelly, he was called out on the pa that he was being substituted and he never came off, was it a case of him saying no i aint coming off...

robinbanks

Eoin McGrath went for the right option at that time.Game is over now and i expect Waterford to edge it by couple of points the next day.

Hound

Quote from: cnoc16 on July 30, 2007, 10:32:41 AM
the reason it wasn't a penalty is because it was a technical foul and a technical foul (foul on the ball) only warrants a 21 yeard free. a penalty is awarded when it is a foul on the player.

Don't think that is right. If a defender picks the ball up off the ground inside the small parellelogram, then it is a peno. A technical foul inside the small box is usually a peno.

Personally I think it was the right decision to go for goal, if he was confident of scoring. He had the winning of the game in his hands, it wasnt a difficult chance.

Owenmoresider

Should he have gone for it? Course he should. Think about it, this time five years ago Dara McGarty was through on Benny Tierney's goal, a goal to win, a point to draw. He took the point, and Armagh the All-Ireland. If the opportunity is there go fot it. Hopefully they'll do it next day out.

Rav67

he had to go for goal in that position, and more often than not he would've scored it. Sensible enough to let Kelly point the free though

bottlethrower7

reminded me of the Leinster under-21 hurling final a couple of years back between Dublin and Wexford. Dublin were a goal up when Fergal Chambers got through on goal. Stick it over the bar and the ref blows up for full-time. He went for a goal instead. Wexford keeper Maty White pulls off a great save, ball rebounds out into play, Wexford move upfield and score an equalising goal. Game goes to extra time where Wexford win.

Waterford were lucky enough to come away with the point after that passage of play, though it was clearly a free. I can't believe anyone disputes that. It was a very black or white case and theres little doubt Donal Og covered the ball with his body to prevent Waterford players getting to it.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2007, 01:21:28 PM

Don't think that is right. If a defender picks the ball up off the ground inside the small parellelogram, then it is a peno. A technical foul inside the small box is usually a peno.

That's the rule in football, not hurling. Only an agressive foul inside the large parallelogram is a penalty in hurling

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2007, 01:21:28 PM

Personally I think it was the right decision to go for goal, if he was confident of scoring. He had the winning of the game in his hands, it wasnt a difficult chance.

as much as I hate to say it, our blinkered friend is right, a technical foul is only a 21-yard free in hurling.

Hound

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on July 30, 2007, 01:58:29 PM
reminded me of the Leinster under-21 hurling final a couple of years back between Dublin and Wexford. Dublin were a goal up when Fergal Chambers got through on goal. Stick it over the bar and the ref blows up for full-time. He went for a goal instead. Wexford keeper Maty White pulls off a great save, ball rebounds out into play, Wexford move upfield and score an equalising goal. Game goes to extra time where Wexford win.

Waterford were lucky enough to come away with the point after that passage of play, though it was clearly a free. I can't believe anyone disputes that. It was a very black or white case and theres little doubt Donal Og covered the ball with his body to prevent Waterford players getting to it.
IMO Chambers was wrong and McGrath was right.

Assuming time almost up, if you're two points up or three points up, then take your point. Any other score, go for goal. IMO!

Thanks for enlightng me on the difference in rules between hurling and football. Did not know that.

cnoc16

am i the blinkered friend bottlethrower??????????

rolloutking

Quoteonce again these two teams provide me with the best hang over cure ever

Spirit we are coming into the business end of the season and you are out on the rip on a saturday night. Your place at centre forward will be under threat if you dont buck your ideas up.

Quotewhat was the story with eoin kelly, he was called out on the pa that he was being substituted and he never came off, was it a case of him saying no i aint coming off...

i was in the canal end and waterford had a sub warmed up and standing beside the 4th official ready to come on. He held up the board with no9 on it and the announcer guy called out 'substitusion on the waterford team, no9 eoin kelly for...' I was surprised at this and looked over at Kelly and he shock finger as if to say no im not coming off. Maybe he got a knock and they thought he couldn't play on and he was just telling them he was fine to play on but he was definitely meant to come off. I dont think the waterford sub got on then at all. Can anyone shed light on this?

cnoc16

i reckon there is a chance that kelly just said no i'm not coming off. he wasn't having a vintage game and was disgruntled by justin and selectors suggesting he come off. not a whole lot that can be done if a player wont come off is there.
anyone any experience of this at club level, never heard of it at county level.

maxpower

surely not

i think its more likely he got a knock and the management thought he needed to come off, it would seriously undermine a manager if a player refused to come off
What happens next????