Laochra Gael

Started by Cyril Farrell fan, February 02, 2016, 09:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyril Farrell fan

There was a good episode last night, the great Conor Hayes of Galway.
Everyone described him as an inspirational leader. He was key for the magnificent Galway team of the late 80s.
I had forgotten about the timbering he gave to Fennelly in 1987, but he was a player who always tried to play fair.

I have always thought that if he was picked at full back for the 1990 All Ireland, Cork wouldn't have got 5 goals.

seafoid

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on February 02, 2016, 09:51:55 AM
Everyone described him as an inspirational leader. He was key for the magnificent Galway team of the late 80s.
I had forgotten about the timbering he gave to Fennelly in 1987, but he was a player who always tried to play fair.

I have always thought that if he was picked at full back for the 1990 All Ireland, Cork wouldn't have got 5 goals.
Me too. I think he was underrated at the time as well.
The plan was to replace him with Pete Finnerty but he got cleaned out in 91 by Tipp

waterfordlad

JJ Delaney was on last weekend and Ken McGrath is on this Sunday and should be repeated Monday at 8. I'm looking forward to that.

AZOffaly

Quote from: waterfordlad on February 26, 2016, 08:05:33 AM
JJ Delaney was on last weekend and Ken McGrath is on this Sunday and should be repeated Monday at 8. I'm looking forward to that.

Ken McGrath was such an elegant hurler. I really wanted Waterford to win an All Ireland for the likes of him, Mullane and that other Laoch, Tony Browne.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on February 02, 2016, 09:51:55 AM

Out of interest why wasn't he picked in 1990?? Was he injured?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2016, 08:39:10 AM

Ken McGrath was such an elegant hurler. I really wanted Waterford to win an All Ireland for the likes of him, Mullane and that other Laoch, Tony Browne.

Me too. For a few years Waterford were my favourite hurling team. Unfortunately Kk were in their pomp at the time too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 26, 2016, 10:12:35 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2016, 08:39:10 AM

Ditto
Mc Grath my favourite hurler ever
Remember that catch v cork and him running with his back turned

A flawed genius yes but a genius all the same
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets