Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: delgany on March 25, 2020, 11:11:55 PM
Teachers no longer have to return before  30 june. They can just sign themselves fit for work on 1 july!
how much time do you think kids should be spending doing some of the school work that was sent home? I do a daily plan for my 2 last approx 1.5-2hours. They attend a bunscoil so I'd prefer them to focus more on the obair as gaeilge, and my other thing is to get them reading their Irish books out loud so they can keep practising their oral skills.

delgany

2 hours is the max for a P4 to P7 child . Maybe an  hour p1 to p3. The rest of the time I'd be letting them engage in play , creative arts , music , outdoor play ( in the garden) , things that will occupy them , outdoor camps / tents / learn more code / coding activities. Most school have sent a lorry loads of stuff to access for ideas.
I view this as a sabbatical for children . Times are scary enough ,without stressing about their learning , most of them will be in school to their 18, so plenty of time to catch up

theticklemister

Quote from: delgany on March 26, 2020, 03:28:16 PM
2 hours is the max for a P4 to P7 child . Maybe an  hour p1 to p3. The rest of the time I'd be letting in engage in play , creative arts , music , outdoor play ( in the garden) , things that will occupy them , outdoor camps / tents / learn more code / coding activities. Most school have sent a lorry load of stuff to access for ideas.
I view this as a sabbatical for children . Times are scary enough ,without stressing about their learning , most of them will be in school to their 18, so plenty of time to catch up

Spot on.

I take a p6 class here in Liverpool, I've given them

-30 mins reading
-20 mins handwriting
-Online Maths activity ( roughly take 20/25 mins)
-English Comprehension ( roughly 25 mins)

I think that is enough. Or possibly too much 

There's a teacher with me lad, and she a timetable out for the kids, from 9-3. Saying do maths between 9-10 , English 10:30-11. f**king mental.

And I don't have two f**king hoots if it is done or not

marty34

Quote from: delgany on March 26, 2020, 03:28:16 PM
2 hours is the max for a P4 to P7 child . Maybe an  hour p1 to p3. The rest of the time I'd be letting them engage in play , creative arts , music , outdoor play ( in the garden) , things that will occupy them , outdoor camps / tents / learn more code / coding activities. Most school have sent a lorry load of stuff to access for ideas.

100% Delgany. Super post.

JimStynes

Well did you all see the big deal we are getting  ::)

delgany

INTO  are recommending it.So financially it is as good as it will be. The T & Cs are a better outcome , a few things to be finalised. The time allocation budget is a positive for teachers. Planning Preparation Allocation is a good thing , how this is funded will be of an interest to the management.
Overall , it is time to settle the on- going dispute , it looks like pay parity is restored looking at the figures and T&C's are more favourable. Plus they've got rid of Noelle Buick !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on April 08, 2020, 03:57:21 PM
INTO  are recommending it.So financially it is as good as it will be. The T & Cs are a better outcome , a few things to be finalised. The time allocation budget is a positive for teachers. Planning Preparation Allocation is a good thing , how this is funded will be of an interest to the management.
Overall , it is time to settle the on- going dispute , it looks like pay parity is restored looking at the figures and T&C's are more favourable. Plus they've got rid of Noelle Buick !

Any back pay?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2020, 03:59:16 PM
Quote from: delgany on April 08, 2020, 03:57:21 PM

Any back pay?

Back dated pay as follows
2.25% for 2017
2%  for 2018
Already accepted
1%  for 2019.

The  pay deal would reflect pay parity with UK teachers in 2017 - 2018. A teacher on UPS 3 would get roughly a months salary in back pay .

Nobody will get rich but it is an agreeable amount. The T& C are of more interest to teaching staff .

delgany

Quote from: hardstation on April 08, 2020, 06:32:51 PM
The increase & back pay figures were known around this time last year.
Most, if not all teachers I spoke to were rejecting it. The main reason being that it wasn't nearly enough to buy them out of the current industrial action. Even with the changes in T&Cs, I can't see how that doesn't still stand.

The spectacular timing of it will p***k a few consciences though, as it was designed I imagine. I mean, how could you possibly ask for more given the current circumstances?!

Then again, if it wasn't enough a year ago, why is it enough today? Here's a idea, keep your money. Give it to the health service - they're in dire need. For now, industrial action will do.

Who knows what way it'll go.

Agreed on timing.
A £3000  back pay  lump sum , is relatively  a good return. Anybody who thought they would get any substantial amount above that are being unrealistic.Pay parity has been achieved - it wasn't going to be any higher.

delgany

Quote from: hardstation on April 08, 2020, 07:16:43 PM
Is it worth coming off industrial action for?

That is the fight people are going to have with themselves. A lot of people have gotten used to it. As I said, this time last year people didn't seem prepared to.

That might have changed.

I think the unions have won all their substantive demands regarding  T & C. They were the central component imo.
There isn't any more wriggle room available there. I would say that T & C are acceptable and on a par with UK. PPA  equates to 1 day a fortnight of non - contact . End of key stage assessments to be flushed and teacher time budget allocated. 
£75 million had been set aside to settle the pay increases, this was agreed by Finance dept . I cant see any major changes from this.

marty34

That is the fight people are going to have with themselves. A lot of people have gotten used to it. As I said, this time last year people didn't seem prepared to.

That might have changed.

If teachers sign up for this - be prepared for all the inspections and more waffle like this.  It'll be pay back time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on April 08, 2020, 07:48:31 PM

That might have changed.

If teachers sign up for this - be prepared for all the inspections and more waffle like this.  It'll be pay back time.

Sure they havent been doing any inspections, and most teachers are prepared..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Inspection services will change to a more "advisory / pastoral/ school - led " approach. Unions dug in their heels  to get shot of chief inspector Buick, which was achieved. Inspection changes are part of the T & C changes - for the better!

Tony Baloney

If teachers are doing their job properly they should have nothing to fear come inspection time.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on April 08, 2020, 09:32:04 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2020, 09:27:20 PM
If teachers are doing their job properly they should have nothing to fear come inspection time.
Who decides what "properly" is?
The inspectorate. Are there no guidelines against which you are judged? Our business is inspected against a set of guidelines and requirements so we know what "properly" means.

The missus says the pay rise for her isn't worth the hassle of an inspection!