The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 10, 2020, 11:19:38 AM
Big win for Ireland. Poite was kind to them though in two big decisions I thought though, no real way to be sure VDF was over the line for his try and Henderson probably could have seen yellow on another day for his seatbelt tackle. I'd also argue Parkes try probably should have been given.

That aside, was great to see Conway do his thing. Really good player. CJ Stander delivered a performance you know he has in him (yet could be all over the place in England next round). Sexton had one shocker kick but after that was his usual self. England will give them a hell of a test and will see themselves as the only team able to stop an Irish Grand Slam....we'll see.

All in all, I'm glad for Farrell - he's pulled out two wins in two, you can't argue with that even if I was looking player X/Y/Z out after Scotland (and before!)

What about the French?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Taylor on February 10, 2020, 12:21:36 PM
Big win for Ireland. Poite was kind to them though in two big decisions I thought though, no real way to be sure VDF was over the line for his try and Henderson probably could have seen yellow on another day for his seatbelt tackle. I'd also argue Parkes try probably should have been given.

That aside, was great to see Conway do his thing. Really good player. CJ Stander delivered a performance you know he has in him (yet could be all over the place in England next round). Sexton had one shocker kick but after that was his usual self. England will give them a hell of a test and will see themselves as the only team able to stop an Irish Grand Slam....we'll see.

All in all, I'm glad for Farrell - he's pulled out two wins in two, you can't argue with that even if I was looking player X/Y/Z out after Scotland (and before!)

What about the French?

You know how the English are.....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on February 10, 2020, 11:33:35 AM

The look of pure frustration on Poite's face when he dished out the yellow card to Stander just after he'd won MOTM was priceless.

A positive enough day for Ireland but I think when Wales had possession in the first half in particular they were gaining easy yardage just by going through the phases and that would be a concern as Ireland had the ball for most of that half thankfully but that won't happen every day.

The Scots maybe aren't as bad as they were in the WC and gave England their fill of it only for Hogg to have yet another brainfart.

The Scots scrum was better than Irelands and they were bested by the English, so we'll have our work cut out there as well.
On the VDF try, I'd agree that there didn't seem to be any conclusive evidence of a try. However, and I'm open to correction, I thought this was related to the question asked by the ref i.e. on-field decision is a try and the TMO responds "I can see no reason to not award the try". French refs do what they want anyway. I do think though that Hadley Parkes did lose control before grounding it.

The rest of the championship is interesting as France's performance yesterday against Italy was peculiar given the way they battered England and it's hard to read anything into England beating Scotland in those conditions. It could be decided on the last day again.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 10, 2020, 01:45:36 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 10, 2020, 11:33:35 AM

The look of pure frustration on Poite's face when he dished out the yellow card to Stander just after he'd won MOTM was priceless.

A positive enough day for Ireland but I think when Wales had possession in the first half in particular they were gaining easy yardage just by going through the phases and that would be a concern as Ireland had the ball for most of that half thankfully but that won't happen every day.

The Scots maybe aren't as bad as they were in the WC and gave England their fill of it only for Hogg to have yet another brainfart.

The Scots scrum was better than Irelands and they were bested by the English, so we'll have our work cut out there as well.
On the VDF try, I'd agree that there didn't seem to be any conclusive evidence of a try. However, and I'm open to correction, I thought this was related to the question asked by the ref i.e. on-field decision is a try and the TMO responds "I can see no reason to not award the try". French refs do what they want anyway. I do think though that Hadley Parkes did lose control before grounding it.

The rest of the championship is interesting as France's performance yesterday against Italy was peculiar given the way they battered England and it's hard to read anything into England beating Scotland in those conditions. It could be decided on the last day again.

I think the French in general do as they please. Looking forward to the 2023 World Cup inevitable implosion already.

I'd put the French performance down to their arrogance, they knew they had the game won and it was almost an offence to them to have to complete the game. They'll need to learn that kind of ruthlessness....also, maybe the old accusation of the French still rings true....they aren't the fittest team in the world.

The Parkes try is an interesting one, yes he lost control - but.....he did ground the ball with his finger. It's incredibly harsh I thought, if you consider his line, the tackle and the gain.....I wouldn't have been surprised had it been given. I think he got that one in Cardiff.

topofthesoil

could be a nice wee gran slam on the cards

screenexile

With England and France away still??

We have a decent chance of a championship after the BP win against the Welsh but I can't see us getting through both those games unscathed. It's not impossible but odds wouldn't be great!

Edit: 7/1 actually if you're so confident go for it!!

johnnycool

Quote from: topofthesoil on February 12, 2020, 11:39:18 AM
could be a nice wee gran slam on the cards

The heavy lifting is still to come

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2020, 11:58:40 AM
With England and France away still??

We have a decent chance of a championship after the BP win against the Welsh but I can't see us getting through both those games unscathed. It's not impossible but odds wouldn't be great!

Edit: 7/1 actually if you're so confident go for it!!
I'd agree. The France first half v England is the best performance of the championship but some old habits in the Italy match. Ireland and England haven't been massively impressive so hard to know how it will finish up! Ireland v France on the last day could be spicy.

Estimator

Ireland unchanged for the game against England.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Gmac

Quote from: Estimator on February 19, 2020, 05:07:56 PM
if it wasn't for a retirement and a couple of injuries it's basically the same team that got embarrassed at the World Cup , hopefully they can blend in a bit of youth over next couple of six nations with an eye on 23 wc , as a side not will dan leavy be back playing soon , team's fortunes seem to go down hill around same time he got hurt.

Estimator

One change-Toner in for Henderson with Dillane promoted to the bench.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Capt Pat

Quote from: Estimator on February 21, 2020, 03:09:01 PM

His wife had a baby and he is taking the game off. It is not like he had the baby himself ffs.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 21, 2020, 03:50:57 PM
Quote from: Estimator on February 21, 2020, 03:09:01 PM

His wife had a baby and he is taking the game off. It is not like he had the baby himself ffs.

He's been due a wee spell on sidelines anyway.

Denn Forever

No worries. We have Bono on our side.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Taylor

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 21, 2020, 04:31:43 PM
No worries. We have Bono on our side.

Did I miss where Bono become a motivational speaker for sports teams?
f**k me, it's embarrassing letting that get out in the public domain