Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on June 25, 2018, 02:43:29 PM
He was the last man to take an Ulster senior title to this county

In hurling he did it, not sure about the football.

downjim

He has won 3 more SFC than Poacher and Mulholland

our_fella

Quote from: downjim on June 25, 2018, 03:13:01 PM
He has won 3 more SFC than Poacher and Mulholland

So doing nothing since 2011 puts him top of list?

Brick Tamlin

Well if its doing nothing since 2011 or doing nothing at all then i think hes sorta out in front in that regard.

johnnycool

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 25, 2018, 03:52:01 PM
Well if its doing nothing since 2011 or doing nothing at all then i think hes sorta out in front in that regard.

How'd he get on in Bellaghy?

Smurfy123

Dawson Poacher and Mulholland could be a dream team. Would the county board be bold enough to go for it? Can't see it happening as Deegan has the job

snoopdog

Im not living in the county anymore but what managerial or coaching ability does Mulholland have? All i know is a pretty dismal record with the  minors.

charlieTully

Quote from: snoopdog on June 25, 2018, 06:01:04 PM
Im not living in the county anymore but what managerial or coaching ability does Mulholland have? All i know is a pretty dismal record with the  minors.

Lately with rostrever. Took them to Ulster intermediate final. Not sure what's he's at now.

Smurfy123

Intermediate championship with Rostrevor. But they are flying in division 1 this year since he left.
Dawson the manager
Poacher trainer
Mulholland selector

SHEEDY

seriously lads, dawson?? personally wouldnt have him, i'd rather have any of wee james, paddy o'rourke or shorty to name a few as manager before dawson. i'd also try to have some of sean ward, mickey walsh or benny coulter involved in some capacity. whoever is in charge needs to try to get the best players wanting to play for down again. 
anyway all this at the minute is pure speculation because eamonn burns is still the manager and i wouldnt be one bit surprised if he is still in charge again next year.
nil satis nisi optimum

downjim

Some of you boys need a reality check. Dawson has been roaded from his last two jobs in Down😂

Brick Tamlin

Yet there's quite a few in burren would gladly take him back in the morning.
On another note ye can stick your dream teams up your arse. Why do people believe that lumping fellas in with each other as part of a management team works. It just doesn't.

Also should the men who guided other clubs to intermediate success also be thrown into the hat. I doubt it.
Good (or in alot of cases, overrated) players do not  necessarily make good managers or coaches.its a speedbump that the decision makers in our county keep seeming to hit every time they appoint management teams.

I'd love to see in black and white the managerial cvs of alot of the names being bandied about ie experience of managing adult football teams either at top tier clubs or representative level. Success in the role would be an added bonus.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: johnnycool on June 25, 2018, 04:06:51 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 25, 2018, 03:52:01 PM

How'd he get on in Bellaghy?

The same way wee James got on in stints at St Galls and Ballinderry I'd guess. maybe I'm wrong

Smurfy123

Yes brick that would be the same Wee James who manages St Galls to a championship. You clown

Brick Tamlin

As I alluded to.. maybe I'm wrong.