The Masters 2019

Started by Boycey, April 08, 2019, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Same as that.  Amazing performance

gerrykeegan

Loved it. used to hate seeing Tiger short odds for every tournament. Some of the shots he made over the 4 days was great to see
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

podge

I'm a big golf fan but yesterday's final day is being overhyped a lot. No doubt it's a fairytale with Tiger winning but at the end of the day he only shot 2 under on the final day-it was hardly legendary stuff.  He had more than his fair share of luck over the last 2 days in particular.

Gmac

Tiger held it together when everyone else was dropping shots all around him and I thought Faldo described it perfectly on the us commentary  , to hold the nerve so well at the age of 43 when he hadn't won a major in 11 years was unbelievable and from where he has been physically and personally it's a win for the ages and even though I'm not his biggest fan I was happy to see him get a win that may even be better than Nicklaus in 86

Taylor

Fantastic Majors overall and cant remember a Sunday in any big tournament that had so many in contention on the back nine.

Molinari looked nervous/worried all day Sunday but had to feel for him on the 2 water shots.

Cantlay made a burst but when he got in front his game went to bits.

Woods deserved it because he made less mistakes on the final day

trailer

Great win for Tiger. He played the best golf and had the biggest cajonies.
Also Sunday afternoon Golf is brilliant. Wish there was more of it.

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on April 15, 2019, 08:49:36 AM

God no!! Kids running in and out shouting/dinner ready just before Tiger hit his tee shot on 16 it was horrible couldn't get peace to enjoy it at all!!!

Keyser soze

Quote from: An Watcher on April 14, 2019, 08:06:50 PM
Brilliant from Woods, amazing comeback.  Just confirmed to me that he is the Greatest.  No harm to Muhammad Ali

Not to begrudge Woods his win but people spouting pure dung would sure sicken a man's shit.  Tiger isn't even the greatest golfer ever ffs.

Franko

Brilliant from Woods, amazing comeback.  Just confirmed to me that he is the Greatest.  No harm to Muhammad Ali

+1

mouview

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 15, 2019, 09:29:30 AM

Not to begrudge Woods his win but people spouting pure dung would sure sicken a man's shit.  Tiger isn't even the greatest golfer ever ffs.

He's a far better golfer than Ali was a boxer. Woods, by any metric, is at least second best to Nicklaus. It's debatable if Ali was even best heavyweight.

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on April 15, 2019, 09:09:00 AM

God no!! Kids running in and out shouting/dinner ready just before Tiger hit his tee shot on 16 it was horrible couldn't get peace to enjoy it at all!!!

Agreed. Much prefer the late evening finish.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: mouview on April 15, 2019, 12:26:16 PM

He's a far better golfer than Ali was a boxer. Woods, by any metric, is at least second best to Nicklaus. It's debatable if Ali was even best heavyweight.

How about number of pga titles - is he second best to Nicklaus in that metric - ill give you the answer - no.  He is currently 1 title behind Snead record of 82
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

TabClear

Quote from: lurganblue on April 15, 2019, 12:26:44 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 15, 2019, 09:09:00 AM

Agreed. Much prefer the late evening finish.

Great watching yesterday. Say what you like about Tiger but nobody gets the crowd going like he does. Amazing comeback

Lar Naparka

[/b]
Who is or was better?
Greatness can't be measured by the number of competitions a golfer has won. There are a few other metrics that should be kept in mind. neither Snead nor Nicklaus had the same number of top class opponents  to contend as Woods has at present. All of them, McIlroy, eigh, Molinari etc. are younger, fitter and have not gone through the medical and personal issues that Woods has had to.overcome.
For my money, Woods is in a class of his own.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mrdeeds

A great comeback but not best ever. In golf alone surely Ben Hogan. In sport Niki Lauda.