Paul Kimmage interviews Sean Cavanagh

Started by Jinxy, September 09, 2018, 08:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Is Sean being targeted because of the book?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

None this shit happened John McDermott, he killed all round him!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 16, 2018, 08:17:07 PM

Cavanagh is a self serving, egocentric Micky Harte wannabe.
Plays the poor wee me card looking to portray the sensitivity that gains him a reputation of a nice fella.....all the while publicising a book. Realistically people want to hear what he thinks of Harte and its very hypocritical of him lambasting Harte now when he was his biggest supporter when playing. To me this speaks volumes as to the type of character he is.

+1

JoG2

Quote from: trileacman on September 16, 2018, 08:36:50 PM
Edendork have being playing hatchet ball all year. Instigated a mass brawl 7 days ago when Trillick played them. One of our players had to get a couple of stiches, it's par for the course for them.

I'd wondered where it all stemmed from then I heard who managed them. This behaviour is par for the course for Barton, spent the best half of his Derry managerial career jumping into brawls his team instigated.

Barton's county reign? Surely not. Apart from the McKenna cup game in Armagh, when were these other brawls? Wasn't that McCarron acting the wag kicked that off? Barton made a complete balloon of himself right enough, no question

yellowcard

Quote from: haranguerer on September 13, 2018, 11:43:13 AM
Its sensationalised bullshit

Best post on here.
Plays the poor wee me card looking to portray the sensitivity that gains him a reputation of a nice fella.....all the while publicising a book. Realistically people want to hear what he thinks of Harte and its very hypocritical of him lambasting Harte now when he was his biggest supporter when playing. To me this speaks volumes as to the type of character he is.

Some of this may be true but it doesn't excuse the brutality inflicted on Cavanagh. Whatever you think of Cavanagh he was never a dirty player and from what I hear it was definitely not an accident.

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on September 16, 2018, 10:24:15 PM

Best post on here.

Some of this may be true but it doesn't excuse the brutality inflicted on Cavanagh. Whatever you think of Cavanagh he was never a dirty player and from what I hear it was definitely not an accident.

There's a few reasons going round. I have heard it was an accident and that it wasn't. Someone said there's a video, has anyone seen it

trileacman

Are all Tyrone games not recorded now and streamed live? Someones bound to have a recording.

I had heard he had went up for a kickout and as he landed he met a shoulder. Again could be bullshit hearsay like 95% of talk on here.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Jinxy

Quote from: trileacman on September 16, 2018, 11:05:32 PM
Are all Tyrone games not recorded now and streamed live? Someones bound to have a recording.

I had heard he had went up for a kickout and as he landed he met a shoulder. Again could be bullshit hearsay like 95% of talk on here.

It must have been this shoulder he met.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

He could've got another chapter out of this incident. All the talk about Nicholas Walsh, he wasn't on the field this weekend was he.

BarryBreensBandage

Regardless of the comments on what or who Cavanagh is, and his autobiography,  this happening on a Gaelic football field is a disgrace.

Is this what we are signing the youth of our communities up for?

Yes, it has been going on for years, but it doesn't make it right.

Times change, and maybe with social media, the dirt in our national game is being outed.

For this to happen to any player is a disgrace, never mind a man who, for me , along with Canavan and Dooher, were the three most important players in Tyrone's 3 AI successes. If it can happen to him, it can happen to any of our children and youth players in the future.

After seeing reports here about other Tyrone matches, and another incident in recent Ballyholland/Downpatrick game, where an 18 yo was hospitalised after getting a boot to the head when he is on the ground - where the f**k are we going folks?

Bad enough having to out up with a poor standard of football than having to read about this stuff.

I am genuinely angry and disillusioned tonight over this. Puke football is the least of our worries.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

tbrick18

Quote from: yellowcard on September 16, 2018, 10:24:15 PM

Best post on here.

Not for a second am I saying that he deserved what happened, I've no idea if it was accidental or deliberate. No place for it on a field if deliberate and I'd hope the culprit would be seriously reprimanded if it was.
My point was he's not the pleasant character he's portraying himself as, and to me this pr campaign he's on is loathsome given how hypocritical he is being. I actually used to like him when he just played football, but from he started his on and off field antics of crying, trying to dupe referees, playing the martyr to the press I lost all respect for him.
To me he comes across as arrogant and seems to have a self righteous complex.

His Sunday game analysis is far from great too.

LilySavage

It's all Sean's fault. FFS. Thuggery is Thuggery. f**k them out of the Championship if you're serious about cleaning up the game.

trailer

I was at the game. Cavanagh caught the ball was fouled (by no.9 I think) and fell. No.12 came in and fell on top of him with both knees. I don't know if was an accident or not. Only the player will know. Ref was looking straight at it. Didn't deem it worthy of a card etc. The ref in general had a poor game for both teams.
All Tyrone games are videoed. That will probably come out this week. Whether that sheds any light on the incident is anybodies guess.

Anyway that's exactly what happened.

nrico2006

Quote from: haranguerer on September 14, 2018, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2018, 12:38:38 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on September 14, 2018, 11:01:04 AM
Quote from: westbound on September 14, 2018, 10:49:01 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on September 14, 2018, 10:31:18 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on September 14, 2018, 01:04:17 AM
Quote from: APM on September 10, 2018, 09:51:35 AM
I know this was nothing new, but the stuff on Mass and the Rosary for me is something that the Tyrone CB should be looking very strongly at.  Totally inappropriate given the message it sends out to those with other faiths and none, that have an interest in playing Gaelic Football.
Noticed an reference to this elsewhere, so took a quick look to see what the reaction was on this forum.

Frankly, I'm shocked - though not surprised - that this particular aspect of Cavanagh's book doesn't merit a thread of its own (or at least some comment from more than one or two individuals).

I mean, is no-one else astonished, even outraged, that a team manager could get away with imposing his personal religious leanings on an entire team, to the exclusion of those who may feel differently?

i read a lot of stuff about sledging and foul play etc, but there is at least some possible redress (referee) or comeback (retaliation) to those things, but what can someone on the Tyrone panel who doesn't agree say or do to this? Speak out and never play for the county again?

And all that's BEFORE you get to the context of sport and society in  NI.

Could you imagine the shitstorm if eg the Linfield manager required his players eg to take part in some sort of Orange Order parade, or British armed forces commemoration, or attend a Free Presbyterian service?

It would be roundly and publicly condemned, with the governing body clamping down immediately, and QUITE RIGHTLY too, imo. In fact, it's unthinkable. (And I say that as someone who pretty much despises Linfield, btw).

"GAA For All (Protestants need not apply)"

Those aren't accurate comparisons - I'd say an accurate comparison would be attending a church service, and the comparisons you've chosen are telling about you, but your general point is valid. (On a slight tangent though, weren't Irish league players forced to take part in a ceremony and have an anthem they don't recognise as theirs played as though it were recently??)

I don't see it as a big imposition at all, but nonetheless everyone should have their own free choice - I haven't seen any evidence yet that they didn't. If anyone went to MH and said, I'm not comfortable, do you really think they would have suffered repercussions re selection? I doubt it very much. It would seem noone involved had an issue (Unlike the Irish league example I mentioned earlier actually).

The majority of Irish catholics are brought up with the ritual of mass, when they have their own free choice they'll all attend weddings, funerals, mass at easter/christmas, for whatever reason. A mass before games in this context isn't a big deal. Irish catholicism isn't taken that seriously, its just a routine for many, and I think thats the context it needs to be taken in. its not forcing your religious views onto others, as it is being portrayed.

I think you missed the point there.
Most Irish catholics wouldn't have a major problem with it. But What about somebody who isn't catholic? It's a pretty big deal to anyone of any other religion (or no religion).  It could certainly be viewed as 'forcing' your catholic views onto non catholics.
Obviously, we don't know how much 'forcing' was done, but all managers want players to do things as a team. Therefore it's likely that everyone was strongly encouraged to go as a team!

I'm not missing the point. The players were all from a catholic background. The hypothetical situation you describe didn't occur. If it had, I'm sure it would have been dealt with in the proper manner. MH would of course have been aware of the situation and adjusted accordingly. He is there to build bonds and win matches, not convert people to catholicism.

At the end of the day, this was something willingly partaken in by a group of people comfortable with the environment they were in. What we now have is people outside that environment theorising about what took place, or could have took place, or how players probably weren't comfortable but weren't able to say anything....none of which I believe for a second.

And of course, it could be noted that if there was an issue the captain should surely be the person to bring that up with the management team at the time. Instead he sniped about it later, and hasn't chosen to point out that everyone seemed satisfied with the arrangement (if there'd been any murmurings you can bet he'd have written about them!)

You don't know that to be the case yet your saying others are theorising, surely you're just doing the same. I doubt very much that 30 odd twentysomethings in any Gaelic football squad are practicing Catholics and believe in God. Personally I'd be very annoyed in that was asked of me in a team setting and I think many younger players/fringe players etc. would feel they may not be able to raise their concerns. Harte is in a position of Tyrone GAA authority and a religious man himself, he shouldn't have mixed them together. It was totally out of order IMO.

There hasn't been the slightest murmurings of complaint from those who have ever partaken. Many of these have also left the panel now, so aren't restricted by the fear of MH that some posters would have you believe. So in the absence of a shred of evidence to the contrary, despite ample resources and time for such to be found, I think I'm entitled to form the opinion noone had an issue with it.

I agree completely that they are all very unlikey to be practicing catholics - the point the rest of the post made is that, when brought up as a catholic, you still partake in rituals when it suits - weddings, funerals, christmas, easter - without it costing you a thought. I think the same relevance should be placed on this ritual (i.e. not that much).

Good post which is very accurate.  Additionally, I doubt there are many top protestant forwards in Tyrone that we are missing out on.  I would be interested to see how many protestants are actually playing club football in Tyrone or any other of the counties in the North.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyCake

The game is taken too serious. Players devote most of their lives, even to club football. ROared on by a demented manager making a name for himself and a brown envelope in his back pocket, getting boys to climb redwood trees and pulling monster trucks in the chapel car park. Players end up doing anything to gain success and lose sight of what's fair, honourable and sportsmanlike. So we end up with lads taken to hospital, broken jaws, lost teeth etc.

There is no outlet for your average club player, those who can't/won't devote the time/effort to play elite club football. No place for recreational football, just for the craic. Where the stakes are low, and boys are lining out for the enjoyment, to stay fit and the comradeship.

The GAA go on about the drop off after minor level. The main reason for it isn't lack of interest in the game. It's that people just can't commit to crazy schedules just to play club football.