Concerned Gaels

Started by give her dixie, June 20, 2018, 02:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 28, 2018, 12:03:58 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 27, 2018, 02:50:38 PM
Ignore what? Anti-Semitism? Why?

Baile an Taigh had posts removed from another thread because of their naked antisemitism.

Seafoid up there throws up anti-Semitic tropes every other week ffs.
Anti semitism is blown completely out of proportion,  but it is wrong, like all discimination
One question for you however;  who exactly are who trying to impress- is it protestants, unionists, israelis, yanks?
How do you feel about all the innocent children who are tortured, beaten, jailed or shot; for nothing or sometimes throwing a stone at one of the most protected armies ( thugs) in the world?
Thanks

Just one point that needs clarified. if you highlight the injustices of Israel and the IDF are you being anti-semitic?

It obviously depends on your motives but by and large I don't think you are.

inthrough

Quote from: johnnycool on June 28, 2018, 01:39:12 PM

Baile an Taigh had posts removed from another thread because of their naked antisemitism.

Anti semitism is blown completely out of proportion,  but it is wrong, like all discimination
One question for you however;  who exactly are who trying to impress- is it protestants, unionists, israelis, yanks?
How do you feel about all the innocent children who are tortured, beaten, jailed or shot; for nothing or sometimes throwing a stone at one of the most protected armies ( thugs) in the world?
Thanks

Just one point that needs clarified. if you highlight the injustices of Israel and the IDF are you being anti-semitic?

Highlighting the injustices of Israel, and there are many, in not anti semitic, but when someone can only see wrong in Israel & apportion no blame at all to the Palestinian leadership for the state their people find themselves then I have to ask why that is.
Let's call a spade a spade here. There has always been an anti semitic thread in Irish republicanism & I think it is reasonable to ask if that is poisoning the well here.
If it is then I do not want to see the GAA being used to further that thread. I go to GAA games to get away from the shite that is daily life & do not want to see the Association being linked with any extraneous political cause.

haranguerer

Quote from: inthrough on June 28, 2018, 01:51:36 PM

Thanks

Highlighting the injustices of Israel, and there are many, in not anti semitic, but when someone can only see wrong in Israel & apportion no blame at all to the Palestinian leadership for the state their people find themselves then I have to ask why that is.
Let's call a spade a spade here. There has always been an anti semitic thread in Irish republicanism & I think it is reasonable to ask if that is poisoning the well here.
If it is then I do not want to see the GAA being used to further that thread. I go to GAA games to get away from the shite that is daily life & do not want to see the Association being linked with any extraneous political cause.

Can you elaborate?

tonto1888

Thanks

And what thread would that be?

seafoid

Give us 10 examples from the last fortnight Gallsman.
If you can.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Therealdonald

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2018, 04:58:07 PM

If you can.

I dont understand the defence of the Israeli population? They literally annexed a plot of land with the support of their rich Western friends. Their last of enemies in the Middle East is as long as Bin Laden's beard but I suppose this is purely coincidental.

On the 1 hand everyone here lauds Slaughtneil for their pursuit of a gaeltacht area, yet their complete cessation of football during the Hunger Strike is glossed over? This kind of hypocrisy annoys me.

Yer man from Tyrone is 100% right. It's a free world, he's flying a flag of a country. He's not flying a banner with a tasteless description.

Eamonnca1

That's not calling a spade a spade. That's making stuff up. Prefixing your outlandish claim with "let's call a spade a spade" is like adding "in fairness" or "to be honest" to the end of a statement. The person thinks it makes them sound more correct without having to add any actual information that backs up their case.

I notice that you're a "newbie" here. You wouldn't happen to be on someone's payroll to influence online discussions, would you?

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/07/israel-social-media-app-idf-shin-bet-bds

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2018, 04:58:07 PM

If you can.

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's like the supposed antisemitism controversy in the UK Labour party. All I ever hear is some nebulous accusation that people like Jeremy Corbyn are antisemitic, but actual specific examples of antisemitism are a bit thin on the ground.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 29, 2018, 12:28:16 AM

That's not calling a spade a spade. That's making stuff up. Prefixing your outlandish claim with "let's call a spade a spade" is like adding "in fairness" or "to be honest" to the end of a statement. The person thinks it makes them sound more correct without having to add any actual information that backs up their case.

I notice that you're a "newbie" here. You wouldn't happen to be on someone's payroll to influence online discussions, would you?

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/07/israel-social-media-app-idf-shin-bet-bds

Well spotted,  through and through.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: inthrough on June 26, 2018, 12:21:50 PM
If you can show me where I said that it is impossible for anyone to have genuine sympathy for Palestinians or that anyone who claims to be sympathetic to them is only motivated by sectarian hatred then I will eat my own fee. These are your words not mine.
If you look carefully at my first post I said that the people of Palestine have enough to put up with without being used by people with other agendas. The Palestinians are having a desperate time & Israel is not without fault here but neither is the Palestinian leadership which clings to the claim that Israel has no right to exist & must be wiped from the map.
The people of Israel know full well that they cannot rely on anyone to look out for their interests except themselves. History & Irish history as well has told them that. If their country is to be wiped from the face of the earth then where are they to go?
At the moment they are fighting like cornered rats sorrounded as they are by enemies. Only for the Americans I shudder to think what would have happened to them by now.
At it's core all they want is to be left in peace & allowed to have a homeland free from threat. As long as the Palestinians, Iran & others refuse them that & threaten them they will fight no holds barred & all the flags in the world flying in Clones isn't going to change that.

Okay, there's a lot to unpack there but there are three big whoppers of claims that need to be challenged.

1 - the oft-quoted "Israel must be wiped from the map" claim that's been attributed to various people, most notably Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (who, incidentaly, was hugely unpopular, whose rigged election sparked weeks of vigorous protests, and who hasn't been president of Iran since 2013, but that quote still appears regularly in American conservative commentary). It's a bit like saying that Irish Republicans want the state of Northern Ireland wiped off the map. They want the map re-drawn, which happens to be a perfectly legitimate political aspiration. When Iranian and Arab leaders talk about their legitimate wish for the state of Israel to not exist* they are referring to their wish to re-draw the map, but when translated into English it comes out in the form of a metaphor that implies the physical destruction of the actual territory. Which is complete and utter nonsense. Palestinians just want to return home. Why would they want their own land to be destroyed first?

2 - "The people of Israel know full well that they cannot rely on anyone to look out for their interests except themselves"

Are you serious? I can't believe I just read that. Israel has been the single largest recipient of US aid since 1976, swallowing up about a fifth of the USA's annual foreign aid budget. Each Israeli citizen gets about $500 / year from US taxpayers. This despite Israel being an advanced and developed industrialized country.

3 - The old "Israel is surrounded by enemies" trope. Let's look at this one country at a time.

To the north: Lebanon. They did not participate in the 6-day war of 67 or the Yom Kippur War of 1973 in any big way. A country that's barely able to cope with refugees from Syria and can barely deal with its own waste management issues. A disfunctional state if ever there was, but hardly a major threat to Israel.

To the Northeast: Syria. I think they're a bit preoccupied at this time, don't you?

To the East: Jordan. Jordan and Israel have had diplomatic relations since signing their peace treaty in 1994.

To the South: Egypt. Signed a peace treaty in 1979 and have had diplomatic relations since 1980.

To the West: The Mediterranean Sea.

So what's all this about being "surrounded by enemies?"

*States don't have rights, people have rights. "Should Israel have a right to exist" is a meaningless question.

omaghjoe

Im as horrified about Israeli atrocities as the next man but the extent of this whole Palestinian flag thing is a bit perplexing.

The whole exercise seems to be pointless but at the same time I dont see a massive amount of harm in it.

BTW didnt Irish Nationalists support the Zionist movement in the early 20th century and didnt the Officials get help from the founders of the Israeli state?

Jayop

We'll there'll be no Guards in Enniskillen this weekend to take flags from anyone inside the ground so I expect to see plenty being flown.

inthrough

Quote from: Jayop on June 29, 2018, 04:22:35 PM
We'll there'll be no Guards in Enniskillen this weekend to take flags from anyone inside the ground so I expect to see plenty being flown.
95% of the people watching won't have a clue what they are and even amongst those whho do know most couldn't care less.
Still don't like to see the GAA being used for this.

Rossfan

He almost had a whole terrace to himself this evening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

snoopdog

Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2018, 12:40:58 AM
He almost had a whole terrace to himself this evening.

Its poinless but as someone said earlier harmless also.