American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Gabriel_Hurl

Drew Brees has retired

Tom Brady extended for 4 years

lurganblue

Good luck to Drew, but IMO the time is right.  A legend gone.

The Saints are in the sh*t in terms of cap space and have been cutting lads and restructuring contracts for the last few weeks.  I still expect some big departures.  Probably Michael Thomas.  No idea what they are going to do at QB now.  Taysom Hill got a restructured deal but i'd be surprised if they start the season with him as starting QB.  Same probably goes for Jameis.

Rossie11

Time was right. Injuries and age really caught up with him in playoff games the last 2 seasons and he looked like an old man at times

They will be fine re the cap, its like a yearly challenge with them. Only 9m over at the moment and bar Malcolm Brown it hasn't been too painful. Thomas just restructured deal so he is staying.
I expect Kamara to do the same.  Hill could play more at TE this season than QB with Cook and Josh Hill gone. 
Jameis is still front runner to start at QB but they should be drafting one with their 1st round pick. Russell Wilson as much as I would love it to happen would be too expensive.

lurganblue

Quote from: Rossie11 on March 15, 2021, 12:02:30 PM
Time was right. Injuries and age really caught up with him in playoff games the last 2 seasons and he looked like an old man at times

They will be fine re the cap, its like a yearly challenge with them. Only 9m over at the moment and bar Malcolm Brown it hasn't been too painful. Thomas just restructured deal so he is staying.
I expect Kamara to do the same.  Hill could play more at TE this season than QB with Cook and Josh Hill gone. 
Jameis is still front runner to start at QB but they should be drafting one with their 1st round pick. Russell Wilson as much as I would love it to happen would be too expensive.

I missed that one!

Rossie11

After the season he had it was touch and go for a while..

Capt Pat

The NFL draft is tonight. The Jaguars are picking first and will Take Trevor Lawrence from Clemson at quarterback. The rest of the draft is unpredictable and will make for a great late nights entertainment.

Capt Pat

Aaron Rodgers wants to leave the Packers according to reports. He is still understandably not happy that they tried to replace him in last years draft.

Minder

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 29, 2021, 09:08:39 PM
Aaron Rodgers wants to leave the Packers according to reports. He is still understandably not happy that they tried to replace him in last years draft.

Yeah he is also looking for an extension (more money) so I think it's also partly that but when they traded up for Love this was on the cards, didn't think it would be this year though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lurganblue

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 29, 2021, 04:46:57 PM
The NFL draft is tonight. The Jaguars are picking first and will Take Trevor Lawrence from Clemson at quarterback. The rest of the draft is unpredictable and will make for a great late nights entertainment.

I saw some predictions having Fields available around 9th position. I'd be very surprised at that...

Gonna be an interesting weekend.

Gmac

49ers taking a huge swing with trey lance

Capt Pat

Patriots took Mac Jones at 15. It will be interesting to see who does better between Lance and Jones. Lance will have a good team around him and no excuses.

lurganblue

I'd say the Green Bay telephone is red hot with enquiries about Rodgers anyway.  Is it just me or does he always seem to make noises on draft weekend. Drafting a CB probably hasn't excited him either.

Giants allow the Bears to move up and get Fields. I wonder what Dalton thinks of that.

Taylor

I would say Rodgers is pissed that GB dont look to move up and draft a wide receiver

Minder

So looks like the Nets are gonna walk the NBA playoffs, Clippers maybe equipped to live with them in the Finals but that's about it I would think
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"