Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 05, 2017, 10:21:11 PM
Come on Ffs!! UDA??

I did say i don't believe it :D

They were a help in getting their 10 seats thoug with jackie mcdonald encouragning voters

As is stated the oo are a lot of the dup's electorate. They have a bearing on them too.  I doubt they needed to go near either to come up with what they are doing now though.

johnneycool

Quote from: thewobbler on December 06, 2017, 06:48:13 AM
When you have a look at how low brow this thread has become, it's increasingly clear that we, the normal people, should neve have been presented with such an important decision as a Brexit referendum.

I think this has been touched on before but for some reason with the class system in the UK there seems to be this thought process in the working class, middle class groupings that those educated in public schools like Boris are born to be the decision makers even when they come across as thick as shit.
The likes of David Davis, Gove, Rudd really don't inspire confidence that they know what they are doing. Davis in particular is a career politician who's bluffing and getting caught out time and time again.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Theresa May as she's clearly out of her comfort zone and about to make a f**k up, but then you read articles about her and her husband making millions out of advising companies how to avoid paying taxes....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-philip-may-amazon-starbucks-google-capital-group-philip-morris-a7133231.html

rrhf

I find it interesting and strange that Arlene is getting so much airtime when she is not in government or first minister of NI as we currently stand. Outside the support deal with the Tory party she shouldn't have the airtime. Without governance in NI this is between Europe Ireland and the British government. Her deal is with the Tory party and her discourse should be with them, not making country reprinting statements on such an international stage. In actual fact  only influence in reality is with the Tory party. She doesn't represent the vast majority of people in the North as she hasn't taken that baton up yet. She is simply representing her party and it is up to the media to recognise that role before she does lasting damage to what is the best possible outcome of this sorry mess for her beloved NI.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on December 06, 2017, 12:27:48 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 06, 2017, 12:08:16 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on December 05, 2017, 11:47:14 PM
So the orange order has no role to play in politics. Your telling me that the unionist politicians don't consult with the O O leaders about big decisions like this. Do you think the good Friday agreement would have come about without their say...absolutely not.
O O didn't like it so that was that.
Wouldn't surprise me. People forget all their senior members are also in the OO

Nothing like SF so.

Not aware of any SF members who are in the OO.

JPGJOHNNYG

For the second day in a row Nolan seems obsessed with the Irish government suppossedly blocking any info to the DUP or not bringing up any possible DUP concerns to the negotiations.
Am I missing something isnt that what the Tories should be responsible for is that not the party that is being propped up by the bigots why the hell would the Irish government do the UK governments work at the negotiations.
Or maybe Arlene is telling some porkies its not like there is any form there lol

rrhf

It would not be correct protocol within negotiations for either the eu or Ireland and possibly not even the British governance to provide this information to what amounts to nothing more than a political party except through various parliaments. By not taking up governmental power in Ni the DUP have no say except what they are told by the Tories, they cannot claim to represent the majority even in NI on this issue. They are powerless and the media should be pointing this out. They are not in the British government either. Europe and Ireland in it are a formidable alliance here. Arlene and the Dup can shout all they want but they did not go into government and represent the people on this issue. I think the rug will be pulled under the Dup shortly by the tories but this is what I think will happen....The May government will collapse shortly as they are a mess. I expect a stronger candidate to contest leadership soon ... if there is one to emerge and proactively collapse the shambles and rebuild with more authority and direction.  It may be too late to stop Corbin getting in anyway but they can begin their political comeback by taking May out.

AQMP

Quote from: michaelg on December 05, 2017, 09:16:54 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on December 05, 2017, 08:13:59 PM
Its the Orange Order that has pulled the rug on this agreement. Do people think its the DUP running the show not a chance
Are you being serious?

I think he meant Jackie McDonald and Dee Stitt.  The DUP once did brief Jamie Bryson on the talks process.

Rossfan

Is any male Dupite not a member of the OO?
It seems like the DUPUDA are bigging up the Dublin bogeyman to divert from the fact that the Brits didn't tell them about Monday's document/wording.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

I'm sure he is being serious, and there is also likely to be at least some truth in that.

The DUP are such a joke, ready to act the big lad re Brexit, while not having the balls to stand up to those at the root of the biggest issues in their own communities, and not only not standing up to them, but actually kowtowing to them. No leadership there, but then there very rarely has been amongst unionism.

gallsman

Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2017, 10:03:21 AM
It seems like the DUPUDA are bigging up the Dublin bogeyman to divert from the fact that the Brits didn't tell them about Monday's document/wording.

Plenty aren't. Robinson, for example.

Minder

Some hardline Tory Brexiteers put the scuppers on it too apparently, read something in the Times last night that those at "the top of the DUP", including Foster I assume, where content to let it go through but when it was leaked others like Sammy Wilson and some Tories put the pressure on.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: gallsman on December 06, 2017, 10:06:41 AM

Yes but compared to the general protestant/unionist population they are dominated by the OO.
Over 50% of all DUP elected representatives ie councillors, mlas and mps are members. Thats an incredible figure.

sensethetone

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 06, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
For the second day in a row Nolan seems obsessed with the Irish government suppossedly blocking any info to the DUP or not bringing up any possible DUP concerns to the negotiations.
Am I missing something isnt that what the Tories should be responsible for is that not the party that is being propped up by the bigots why the hell would the Irish government do the UK governments work at the negotiations.
Or maybe Arlene is telling some porkies its not like there is any form there lol

I think he knows the Irish government aren't to blame, he's just taking the long road there as he hasn't much proof.

vallankumous

Quote from: Minder on December 06, 2017, 10:14:09 AM
Some hardline Tory Brexiteers put the scuppers on it too apparently, read something in the Times last night that those at "the top of the DUP", including Foster I assume, where content to let it go through but when it was leaked others like Sammy Wilson and some Tories put the pressure on.

They're on board or getting on board.

The best bit of political wizardry i've seen in years.
In just one day all Brexiteers soften, Remainers softened and Varadkar was the pawn that's left looking the fool. Brilliant. That's what ye get when you go to Brussels and 10 Downing street and get giddy at the fact you're there like a tourist. They played him well.

And we fooled ourselves into thinking the north was an issue. After 50 years of Europe and London not giving a single sh1t about the north we all suddenly felt they cared. Fools that we are. This foolery will continue however as we discuss Brexit in our little bubble while decisions are made in London and Brussels.

gallsman

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 06, 2017, 10:24:00 AM
Quote from: gallsman on December 06, 2017, 10:06:41 AM

Yes but compared to the general protestant/unionist population they are dominated by the OO.
Over 50% of all DUP elected representatives ie councillors, mlas and mps are members. Thats an incredible figure.

It is, but that wasn't the question asked.