New stadium for Dublin?

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 12, 2011, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

The GAA is believed to be considering building a third stadium in Dublin.

According to a report in today's Irish Daily Star, the Leinster Council is to carry out a feasibility study into building a 25,000-capacity stadium on a greenfield site at a cost of EUR100 million on the west side of the city.

With nearby provincial grounds such as Pairc Tailteann in Navan and St. Conleth's Park in Newbridge badly in need of upgrade work, the provincial body believes investing in a new stadium, which could act as a home ground for Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Louth and possibly Westmeath and Wicklow, may be a better option in the long run.

"We are aware of the situation in the north of the province," Leinster Council chairman Martin Skelly said.

"There are a number of grounds that would not be up to scratch under health and safety requirements and cannot meet the needs of paying customers in a modern-day context."

The Leinster Council's plan is certain to raise eyebrows, particularly in the current economic climate. A similar proposal by former GAA president Nickey Brennan to construct a multi-purpose stadium in Abbotstown, West Dublin was shot down in 2007.

???
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 12, 2011, 03:43:21 PM
The GAA is believed to be considering building a third stadium in Dublin.

According to a report in today's Irish Daily Star, the Leinster Council is to carry out a feasibility study into building a 25,000-capacity stadium on a greenfield site at a cost of EUR100 million on the west side of the city.

With nearby provincial grounds such as Pairc Tailteann in Navan and St. Conleth's Park in Newbridge badly in need of upgrade work, the provincial body believes investing in a new stadium, which could act as a home ground for Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Louth and possibly Westmeath and Wicklow, may be a better option in the long run.

"We are aware of the situation in the north of the province," Leinster Council chairman Martin Skelly said.

"There are a number of grounds that would not be up to scratch under health and safety requirements and cannot meet the needs of paying customers in a modern-day context."

The Leinster Council's plan is certain to raise eyebrows, particularly in the current economic climate. A similar proposal by former GAA president Nickey Brennan to construct a multi-purpose stadium in Abbotstown, West Dublin was shot down in 2007.

???

Stupid idea, they should upgrade somwhere like Navan, Mullingar or Newbridge.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Croí na hÉireann

Yeah, can't see too many traveling to Dublin for home league games  :P

I presume it'd be with "home" championship games in mind that would be too small for Croke Park but too big for the home team's venue. Dublin's league games would probably be moved there as well. Can't see it happening anyway, wonder how much that feasibility study is costing.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bogball XV

croker far too big for most games - it's a sensible idea, what would have made much more sense would have been joined up thinking between the GAA, IRFU, FAI and the govt.  2 stadia in Dublin, Croker to accommodate the big games and Lansdowne with a capacity of about 35-40K, perfect for most soccer, rugby and gaa games. 

Obviously that ship (like the tallaght stadium disaster) has sailed, but wouldn't it have made sense.

Rossfan

Daftest idea I heard in  a long time.
Obviously some GAA heads who are so long living in Dublin they can't see beyond the Phoenix Park.
A bit of terracing behind the 2 goals would fix Navan for a while , loads of terracing required in Drogheda while Newbridge and Mullingar are adequate for their League and Club games.
As for Aughrim ... sure where would you get scenery like that plus all those wooden seats.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

Maybe Christy is hoping that it can be built by people on SES/FAS schemes?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Royalranter

That's madness. Haven't been to newbridge in a few years but I've been told it needs a bit of work, Pairc Tailteann definately needs a facelift but I think Louth are the worst off. I'm sure they lost alot of money by having to move their game against Meath to Cavan and they would have had a far bigger support behind them if they were playing in Drogheda instead of Cavan which is always an advantage. I'm sure if that €100m was spread between the likes of Meath, Louth and Kildare it would be far better spent because there's no way on Earth they'll build a decent sized stadium from scratch for €100m
Let em know your there

Onlooker

Quote from: Royalranter on August 12, 2011, 06:29:59 PM
That's madness. Haven't been to newbridge in a few years but I've been told it needs a bit of work, Pairc Tailteann definately needs a facelift but I think Louth are the worst off. I'm sure they lost alot of money by having to move their game against Meath to Cavan and they would have had a far bigger support behind them if they were playing in Drogheda instead of Cavan which is always an advantage. I'm sure if that €100m was spread between the likes of Meath, Louth and Kildare it would be far better spent because there's no way on Earth they'll build a decent sized stadium from scratch for €100m
What I can't understand is who comes up with these mad ideas. 

Bogball XV

It's a bullshit story in that they wouldn't be able to get the finance and will not happen, it is a great idea though.

With the price of land what it is now and the construction slump, would 100m really be that far away?

laoislad

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 12, 2011, 11:18:33 PM
It's a bullshit story in that they wouldn't be able to get the finance and will not happen, it is a great idea though.

With the price of land what it is now and the construction slump, would 100m really be that far away?

100mill should be plenty but then this is Ireland.....
Espanyol built this for €60mill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadi_Cornell%C3%A0-El_Prat
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Shamrock Shore

How many games will Shamrock Rovers demand to play there  :-\

Jinxy

Pairc Tailteann is alright the way it is.
We just need a small grant so we can put light bulbs in the jacks.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Ewan MacKenna blog: Stadium of slight

Given the current economic climate, the chances are it won't happen, and let's all be thankful for that. However the idea mooted just a few days ago about a feasibility study into a new 25,000-capacity stadium on the west side of Dublin that could host home games for Kildare, Meath, Louth and even Westmeath and Wicklow was somehow more insulting than the projected cost. And for the record, it was said such a development would require in the region of €100m, but more of that in a moment.

Leinster Council chairman Martin Skelly was right when saying, "We are aware of the situation in the north of the province, there are a number of grounds that would not be up to scratch under health and safety requirements and cannot meet the needs of paying customers in a modern-day context". However, unusually for one of the more progressive GAA politicians, he identified the problem and then went in the opposite direction from the obvious solution. By telling teams to play their home games in a neighbouring county, he broke one of the major rules that makes Gaelic games great. Identity is key and borders matter more than they ever should when it comes to sport.

It may seem an odd time for a history lesson, but clearly one is needed. In 1210 the visit of King John to Ireland set the ball rolling for the most nationalistic of associations. So his administration might get a better handle on the island, Dublin, Louth, Waterford, Cork, Limerick and Kerry were declared counties while Meath, Kilkenny, Wexford, Carlow, Kildare and Ulster were considered liberties. An enemy of Robin Hood, and a man by the BBC's judgement who was the 13th century's worst Briton, had created the building blocks for the GAA, generations before it was created. (Not a fact too often brought up after the blessing of the gravy takes place at Congress lunch.)

But in a sport where rivalry could be considered the most important aspect, telling counties that their home is now in the territory of a great rival is demeaning from both a perspective of pride, and of course for economic reasons when hundreds of thousands of euro spent on match days are not helping the local community. Add in the fact that the clubs in these counties will still be expected to consider themselves fortunate to play in a falling-down relic come county-final day compounds the lack of foresight in the proposal.

It's true that statisticians and economists see the likes of Kildare and Meath as little more than a commuter belt and a place to more cheaply sleep for those working in the capital. But the GAA shouldn't see it that way, especially because they are two of the best-supported teams in the country. Therefore would it not be wise to use the money to let them develop St Conleth's Park and Pàirc Tailteann, in terms of quality rather than quality, especially when the GAA needs to be attracting supporters with decent grounds rather than adding a few more rows of concrete that will never be filled?

The average crowd at Leinster Championship matches this year was 17,000, and it's that which should be bothering the provincial council more than stadia, especially when you consider that there are already seven grounds in the province capable of holding such crowds and the likes of Tullamore and Portlaoise are among the better places to watch any sport on this island. But if the powers that be believe a way to improve supporter numbers is to improve venues, then the solution is in front of them. If the counties mentioned by the Leinster Council and Skelly have facilities not fit for purpose, split the €100m between them and believe it or not, such a figure should create five facilities plenty big and that people should want to go to for games.

Look at value for money here because €100m is one of those incomprehensible figures until you see what can be done with it. In Turin, Juventus are close to completing a new state-of-the-art facility that holds 41,000 at a cost of €105m. In Barcelona, Espanyol built the 40,500, all-seated Estadi Cornellà-El Prat that was named as Venue of the Year at the Stadium Business Awards last year for just €60m. And if European prices do tend to be cheaper, a look closer to home reveals a similar trend and shows us how the GAA are wasting their money.

They may have had €13m more than the GAA, but for that Cardiff City built a new 27,000-seater stadium, the new Cardiff International Sports Stadium, a 470,000sq ft retail development, a new road system and a brand new 70-room hotel. These are the types of developments the GAA should be looking at. In fact down the road from Cardiff, is the 20,000-capacity, all-seated and covered Liberty Stadium, now a Premier League ground. Consider the money they spent, and you realise the GAA could furnish Meath, Kildare and Louth with similar, brand-new stadia for their €100m. It's just another reason why the Leinster Council's idea is simply ludicrous.

Right now, they have the money to give three of the countries more populated counties facilities befitting of modern-day sport. It's a great shame that instead of this, the best they can come up with is to take away their dignity.

Ewan MacKenna was a sports writer with the now defunct Sunday Tribune. He was also
ghost writer of 'The Gambler: Oisín McConville's Story' and 'Darragh: My Story' and is currently working on Kenny Egan's autobiography
If you have any opinions, good or otherwise, feel free to contact Ewan at Twitter.com/EwanMacKenna or ewanmackenna@hotmail.com
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @eircomSportsHub

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/news/gaa/Ewan-MacKenna-blog-Stadium-of-slight.aspx
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

We dont need any stadiums in Dublin. While other counties invested in bricks and mortar white elephants. We invested in the youth hence the reason why we're in 5 all-ireland semi this year.

Its great having stadiums. Not much use if you havent players good enough to play in them.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: INDIANA on August 17, 2011, 11:11:07 PM
We dont need any stadiums in Dublin. While other counties invested in bricks and mortar white elephants. We invested in the youth hence the reason why we're in 5 all-ireland semi this year.

Its great having stadiums. Not much use if you havent players good enough to play in them.

You do need them, its just that you built Parnell Park year ago and are in fortunate position that Croke Park is in your backyard. And its a little rich to boast about Dublin taking through the youth, if you managed to turn anything like the percentage of children in footballers that other counties manage you'd win those 5 All Irelands every year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead