Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Great memories of their last encounter ten years ago on a balmy evening in Newbridge with Ken Doyle kicking an injury time winner. I'd happily take the same outcome again with his cousin kicking the winner!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

tbrick18

Think this suits Donegal down to the ground and I cant see Kildare winning this. donegal will suffocate the Kildare attack and it wont matter to them that Kildare play a sweeper with the way the counter attack.
I can only see one winner here.

donegal lad

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM
Great memories of their last encounter ten years ago on a balmy evening in Newbridge with Ken Doyle kicking an injury time winner. I'd happily take the same outcome again with his cousin kicking the winner!
Can remember that game well was a great atmosphere that night here's hoping for something similar next week with donegal coming out on top this year

J70

I was in Newbridge myself that night. Was a sickening loss but a great game of football. Devenney destroyed the Kildare backs that night, but it just wasn't enough as we blew a five or six point lead in the first half. Can't see this tie finishing 1-17 to 1-16 or whatever that final score was. Very tough draw for us, but I see no reason why we should go in afraid of Kildare.

donegal lad

We already got good news for this game with the news that dermot Mollys knee injury isn't as bad as first feared and he will be available for this game that's great boost for us to know we have him to spring from the bench if needed

Dinny Breen

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 24, 2011, 07:23:05 PM
Think this suits Donegal down to the ground and I cant see Kildare winning this. donegal will suffocate the Kildare attack and it wont matter to them that Kildare play a sweeper with the way the counter attack.
I can only see one winner here.

Do you see dead people too?
#newbridgeornowhere

squire_in_navy_slacks

Should be a great game..................fancy kildare in this one big style

ck

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 24, 2011, 09:04:42 PM
Should be a great game..................fancy kildare in this one big style

No game involving Donegal will "be a great game". They don't do great games. They suffocate, frustrate and strangle the life out of their opposition. Awful to watch but very effective. I think McGeeney will be well up for this unlike Derry in the Ulster final who stupidly just treid to play their normal game. Kildare/McGeeney will be a very different test.

Dinny Breen

Yep interesting draw and no clear favourite would imagine Kildare will be marginal in bookies at maybe 10/11 with Donegal at 11/10 with a 1 point spread.

Both teams will fancy there chances of a win here and the match ups will be interesting, unless Donegal change game plans this won't be a classic, 2 of the meanest defences out there (only 2 goals in 10 games conceded between them).

Looking forward to it and who knows maybe away from Ulster Donegal will express themselves, they certainly have the tools..

#newbridgeornowhere

ck

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2011, 10:07:21 PM
Yep interesting draw and no clear favourite would imagine Kildare will be marginal in bookies at maybe 10/11 with Donegal at 11/10 with a 1 point spread.

Both teams will fancy there chances of a win here and the match ups will be interesting, unless Donegal change game plans this won't be a classic, 2 of the meanest defences out there (only 2 goals in 10 games conceded between them).

Looking forward to it and who knows maybe away from Ulster Donegal will express themselves, they certainly have the tools..

Totally disagree. I don't think Donegal do have the tools to be attacking or creative. Also I don't believe Jimmy McGuinness knows anything but putting everything behind the ball. If they went attacking and man to man they would get eaten alive and would have by both Dery and Tyrone. Donegal will not change system and Kildare forwards be ready to be tackled by 3 or 4 men each time. I do think Kildare will have enough to cope though and Croke Park will test Donegal to the max.

lawnseed

ulster team v mcgeeneys kildare.. as an armagh man i'm drawn to kildare sorry donegal. i think kildare have what it takes to win this one they have lads who can score from distance and that makes the blanket defence that donegal have used relatively useless. also the big forward guy kildare have cant think of his name will cause donegal loads of problems. kildare to win comfortably
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Dinny Breen

What the Sunday Giveth they take away - from 3rd best team in Ireland to be beaten by Donegal next week. RIP Hype.
#newbridgeornowhere

J70

Quote from: ck on July 24, 2011, 10:43:38 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2011, 10:07:21 PM

Totally disagree. I don't think Donegal do have the tools to be attacking or creative. Also I don't believe Jimmy McGuinness knows anything but putting everything behind the ball. If they went attacking and man to man they would get eaten alive and would have by both Dery and Tyrone. Donegal will not change system and Kildare forwards be ready to be tackled by 3 or 4 men each time. I do think Kildare will have enough to cope though and Croke Park will test Donegal to the max.

Eaten alive by Derry??? We beat them just two years ago in the championship under the clueless regime of John Joe Doherty (with the Bradleys playing), two weeks before Cork did eat us alive!! As for Tyrone, who knows.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2011, 11:19:29 PM
What the Sunday Giveth they take away - from 3rd best team in Ireland to be beaten by Donegal next week. RIP Hype.

Ah sure we've had a good run of it all things considered. Our distinct lack of anything resembling a "natural footballer" was always going to come back to haunt us. Rather go out to Donegal than lose to Dublin again. Hopefully the Juniors will give Warwickshire a good rattle in their semi-final to give the long suffering Flourbag masses something to shout about....
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

J70

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2011, 11:19:29 PM

Really? What reasons did they give?