Congress

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

People saying that the vote at the weekend is the worst in GAA history. The worst vote was the 90% rejection of the CPA motion for more voting transparency.

Armagh18

Quote from: ck on October 25, 2021, 11:37:47 PM
People saying that the vote at the weekend is the worst in GAA history. The worst vote was the 90% rejection of the CPA motion for more voting transparency.
How do you even justify that? Disgrace

Saffsof82

Everyone agrees reform is needed, there is just too much of a gulf between the elite and the also rans. But the horse has really bolted on that and Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone are miles ahead both on an off the pitch. I cant understand why, with the think tanks that the GAA instigates at HQ, a better motion than plan B couldnt have been put together.

BennyCake

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 26, 2021, 03:51:17 AM

He does have a point.  There's no point clubs/players/members being asked about motions, or taking a vote, if county delegates vote the opposite  way at Congress.

Armagh18

Quote from: BennyCake on October 26, 2021, 11:00:31 AM

He does have a point.  There's no point clubs/players/members being asked about motions, or taking a vote, if county delegates vote the opposite  way at Congress.
I mean how can the delegates justify voting against transparent voting? Thats a disgrace. 

Rossfan

Because they can do what they like and sod the County Boards, Clubs, members, etc etc .
They want to keep it that way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Louther

Disappointing but not surprised at weekends events. When you have people who devised the plans speaking against them, you know what you up against.

And as for some of the amendments doing the rounds, shocking.

Starting point seems to be to get as many teams as possible to the knockout rounds especially the top teams. Hybrid competitions where finish in one competition will effect the positions of another competition - this dilutes the competition in question further e.g Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry and Mayo win their provincial and are guaranteed knock out spots. The Div 1 league then becomes farcical as the sole aim of these teams will be avoid been in bottom 2 and peak at later stages to be ready for championship.

Having a 1A and 1B, we are just not affect them balance again and having teams of mixed level playing against each other.

Buzzword at weekend was we all want change but only change that suits ourselves.

Rossfan

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 26, 2021, 12:19:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 26, 2021, 12:01:24 PM
Because they can do what they like and sod the County Boards, Clubs, members, etc etc .
They want to keep it that way.
If the County Boards, Clubs and Members really cared that much about it would they not hold their delegates to account for it? Or just gas them altogether? At 90%, you could just get rid of them all.

I reckon that they just don't care that much.
But problem is nobody knows how they voted !

BennyCake

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 26, 2021, 11:37:33 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 26, 2021, 11:00:31 AM

I mean how can the delegates justify voting against transparent voting? Thats a disgrace.

Oh... right, yes. I knew that  ;)

johnnycool

Where do you find out who can vote at congress?

I have seen graphics of the various counties and the likes but ex presidents and Central Council seem to have quite a bit of sway, but can't put a figure on it.

Rossfan

I think the CC had 52 votes in the recent Congress.
There's 1 delegate from each County in Ireland and possibly from each GAA County in Britain.
1 GPA rep, 4 Provincial Council reps, Uachtarán too I presume.
Schools, 3rd level.....

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2021, 11:36:30 AM
There's 1 delegate from each County in Ireland and possibly from each GAA County in Britain.
Schools, 3rd level.....

down had three votes IIRC, other larger counties like Cork or Dublin get five so on and so forth.

Not sure why the central council need so many.

Eire90

have the 5th and 6th  playoff the loser is out  they have had 7 games and playoff to make it there no excuses after that want to avoid the playoff then get top 4  we then have finals  in division 2  3 and 4 them four games can be played over the one weekend so we will 3 elimination games   that weekend the division 2  final would effectively be a quarter final qualifier.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2021, 11:36:30 AM
Schools, 3rd level.....

The fact we don't know is scary.

Zooming around

110 is the magic number Proposal B must hit on Saturday if a league-based All-Ireland championship is to be introduced for the 2022 season.

183 delegates are eligible to vote at Saturday's Special Congress, which means either of the two proposals to reform the All-Ireland SFC must receive at least 110 votes (60% backing) if they are to come into effect from next year.

Of the 183 votes, almost half - 90 - is spread across the 32 counties. The overseas units carry 34 votes, Central Council has 52 votes, with seven past presidents of the GAA also entitled to vote.

Found the above online.