The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

It's ok gallsman, I did get it.  But thanks anyway.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

As characters go in the Wire, in the series about the dockworkers, Frank Sobotka was the ultimate tragic character. A union man to the bone with a 100 or so members and a doomed desperate plan for survival in the face of powerful vested interests.
Omar had a similar intensity.
Pres was not a powerful character in the drama, but a very interesting, intelligent and good natured character.
The guy pushing the trolly around the projects had a "Rashers" appeal :)

gallsman

Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2010, 01:37:10 PM
As characters go in the Wire, in the series about the dockworkers, Frank Sobotka was the ultimate tragic character. A union man to the bone with a 100 or so members and a doomed desperate plan for survival in the face of powerful vested interests.
Pres was not a powerful character in the drama, but a very interesting, intelligent and good natured character.

I thought season two was as excellent as the rest, with Sobotka as compelling as any of the other major characters on the show.

nifan

Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2010, 01:24:01 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on May 31, 2010, 01:00:16 PM
I think Bunk is based on an actual person too.

There's a lot of characters based on real individuals, from both David Simon's and Burns' experiences of Baltimore, but the characters discussed above are portrayed by people who were real-life criminals as opposed to actors.

Aye.
Omar is partially based on a notorious stick up man - who actually played the part of the guy who helps Omar try to hunt down Butchies killers.

As for picking favourites - absolute nightmare.

Omar and Bunk obviously spring to mind.
Carver was very good though - started off a f**k up like Herc but progressed so much.
D'Angelo was also a very good character.

The Real Laoislad

Downloading Season 1 as we speak...
Is it dangerous to start watching this? as in will it take over my life and I will just have to keep watching this until I have seen them all?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 31, 2010, 09:08:19 PM
Is it dangerous to start watching this? as in will it take over my life and I will just have to keep watching this until I have seen them all?

They are best watched half a dozen episodes at a time.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewobbler

Clay Davis steals every scene he is in, and Vandas was perfectly played. An underrated character in my opinon is Gus the editor, who continues the theme that doing things right gets you nowhere.

Minder

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2010, 09:15:34 PM
Clay Davis steals every scene he is in, and Vandas was perfectly played. An underrated character in my opinon is Gus the editor, who continues the theme that doing things right gets you nowhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktvE2vfxSQ&feature=youtube_gdata

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on May 31, 2010, 09:10:47 PM

Should I take the week off work,put the chinese/dominos/local chippy on speed dial,tell the woman to feck off to her parents house for the week and tell the girlfriend I won't be making my weekly visit to her etc etc
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 31, 2010, 09:25:19 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 31, 2010, 09:10:47 PM

Should I take the week off work,put the chinese/dominos/local chippy on speed dial,tell the woman to feck off to her parents house for the week and tell the girlfriend I won't be making my weekly visit to her etc etc

All of the above.

nifan

Laoislad get off this thread no and do not return until youve finished it all.
You dont want it ruined!

Down South

He should have watched The Corner first, though watching it after The Wire lets you see were a lot of the characters came from.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2010, 01:37:10 PM

I disagree found that end of things rather boring if I'm honest. Colbridge in series 3 was genius. The idea, the concept of legalising drugs was brilliantly concocted and acted. Still series 4 stole the show. The mother of the kid with the ponytail depicted the harshness of the hood by disowning her son because he wasn't a thug. Michael getting dragged in with Marlo even though he didn't really want to.

Down South

Quote from: INDIANA on May 31, 2010, 09:32:04 PM
The mother of the kid with the ponytail depicted the harshness of the hood by disowning her son because he wasn't a thug. Michael getting dragged in with Marlo even though he didn't really want to.

Namond Brice, a brilliant character, wasnt he Weebeys son? The mother was a cow.

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010