5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

macdanger2

Quote from: galwayman on December 07, 2020, 12:06:47 PM
I don't think Coen would be too comfortable in the corner.
Durcan on Kilkenny I would say.
On Keegan - is he in the corner now because Horan doesn't believe he has the legs to attack as he used to from the half back line?
One thing I noticed yesterday which I wouldn't ever have seen before... when he was outfielded by Quinlivan for an early goal chance he just stood with the head down and made no attempt to get back and recover - Clarkes save could easily have rebounded back into play. Barrett seemed to berate him afterwards for it. Anyway that's just a side point.
The match ups will be key for sure - but I do think Horan will play a covering player (probably a rotating one) in front of his full back line this time. I think he will err on the side of caution this time around.
In saying that though, the way the Dubs play nowadays is more about being patient in their build up play and probing for an opening (which they are brilliant at).
They aren't as likely to bomb in early ball to their full forward line as other teams.

Yeah, that was very poor from him and not the sort of thing he'd be known for.

I'd say Keegan is in the FB line simply because we don't have anyone else good enough rather than his legs being gone - although I'd wonder why Eoin O'D isn't in and around the squad, I thought he'd be a nailed on starter by now   

MayoBuck

On Keegan - is he in the corner now because Horan doesn't believe he has the legs to attack as he used to from the half back line?
One thing I noticed yesterday which I wouldn't ever have seen before... when he was outfielded by Quinlivan for an early goal chance he just stood with the head down and made no attempt to get back and recover - Clarkes save could easily have rebounded back into play. Barrett seemed to berate him afterwards for it. Anyway that's just a side point.
The match ups will be key for sure - but I do think Horan will play a covering player (probably a rotating one) in front of his full back line this time. I think he will err on the side of caution this time around.
In saying that though, the way the Dubs play nowadays is more about being patient in their build up play and probing for an opening (which they are brilliant at).
They aren't as likely to bomb in early ball to their full forward line as other teams.

Can't see Coen playing corner back either. He'll be put on Scully or Bugler and try to drop off and sweep a bit too.

Barrett did well on Rock last year so will probably be on him again. If he's put on Con he'll get dragged out the field which we wouldn't want.

Mullin or Keegan on Con with the other on P Small. Durcan on Kilkenny then.

macdanger2

Mayo subs from yesterday (ones in bold played):

Hennelly
O'Hora
Plunkett

Brickendon
Higgins
Parsons
Flynn

Boland
Carr
Coen
Towey

Didn't think any of the subs did themselves any favours really except for Coen who got a couple of points

MayoBuck

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 07, 2020, 12:26:01 PM

Hennelly
O'Hora
Plunkett

Brickendon
Higgins
Parsons
Flynn

Boland
Carr
Coen
Towey

Didn't think any of the subs did themselves any favours really except for Coen who got a couple of points

Agreed. Parsons caught a couple of kickouts I think but was quiet enough apart from that.

Flynn seemed to be tracking Feehan for one of the Tipp goals. Conor Sweeney only got his 1-1 from play when Barrett went off for O'Hora.

seafoid

Last year wasn't that long ago

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-no-hiding-mayo-s-many-mistakes-against-dublin-1.3984163

"I was interested in their game management after Lee Keegan's goal. I noticed that they there was a signal given and they went into a hand-passing drill back and forth to take the sting out of the game after that score.
Any bit of rebellion that Mayo may have had was drained out by this couple of minutes of patient recycling. This was only the 52nd minute. The 12 points in 12 minutes is over: they have the game won and they can control the tempo and just see it out. They were not about to get sucked into one of those helter-skelter closing finishes with which Mayo nearly caught them before
Not that they'd say it in public, obviously, but it would have been a generally-held view in the Dublin dressing room that Mayo had that coming to them. It took nearly the whole decade for them to get there with Mayo but they did it. And if they can do it to Mayo, to the one team that have dogged them through their glory years, they can, obviously – and will, obviously – do it to anyone."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: square_ball on December 06, 2020, 11:40:25 PM
What's the story with Mannion this year? He's as good a forward as what's in the country imo but not starting. Surely he's far better than Paddy Small?

Don't understand the Small selection. Mannion is a level above Small and I have seen nothing from Small to make me change my mind on this.

galwayman

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 07, 2020, 12:10:12 PM

Yeah, that was very poor from him and not the sort of thing he'd be known for.

I'd say Keegan is in the FB line simply because we don't have anyone else good enough rather than his legs being gone - although I'd wonder why Eoin O'D isn't in and around the squad, I thought he'd be a nailed on starter by now   
My thoughts exactly. Very surprised he is not a starter in the fullback line for Mayo these days.
Seems to not even be on the extended panel at the moment?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 07, 2020, 12:26:01 PM

Hennelly
O'Hora
Plunkett

Brickendon
Higgins
Parsons
Flynn

Boland
Carr
Coen
Towey

The bench would be the biggest concern for Mayo for this upcoming final IMO. Dublin will be bringing on like for like replacements and the last number of games they finished with a stronger team.

highorlow

We have a better chance this year than ever I reckon.

Dublin will have no hill to drive them on. Dublin have had no test whatsoever. There is something different about us this time, a confidence in the unit that wasn't there before, likely driven by KMcD. Add to this we are completely written off by the "pundits" which ought to create a siege mentality.

Mayo by 2 or 3. This is our year. Winning is a habit and Dublin are good at it, but without their fantastic supporters this year I feel they will fail. We will know in a few weeks and if Dublin do it again without one of their major advantages I will be the 1st to applaud them.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Hound

Maybe i'm misremembering, but it feels like the first time in years that both O'Connors are 100% fit and in form.

One problem for Mayo is that the Dubs are flying. Playing better than last year, when perhaps the 5 in a row was a weight. But as highorlow said they've perhaps been tested less than usual, particularly in defence. And our own kickouts have been pretty much uncontested. Always seems odd that it's only Mayo (most of the time) and Kerry (some of the time) who try to put pressure on Cluxton. I'm sure the Dubs will try and pressurise almost all of Clarke's kickouts.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-how-stiff-will-mayo-test-be-for-omnipotent-dublin-1.4429796

This all originated in a GAA sponsored effort to 'fix' the Dublin situation. Well, now they have fixed Dublin but the competition is broken.
Fortunately, Mayo-Dublin finals have been so riveting, they have glossed over so much of what went before.

Rossfan

And if it's close this time it will be glossed over again.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

I think Mayo need to man mark Fenton, someone like Coen (or even O'Hora although I doubt he has the discipline) should be told to forget about getting on the ball, supporting play, etc. and only focus on being as close as possible to Fenton at all times. Far too often, he's allowed to come through the middle and either give or receive a hand pass to create a goal chance

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on December 08, 2020, 10:58:22 AM
And if it's close this time it will be glossed over again.
I thought the Gooch's presence on TSG talking about the elephant in Croke Park was very significant.
Kerry basically saying "this thing is too big even for us".
This year was the one that very prominent GAA people started to speak out.
The Dubs will probably hammer MGHU, like they did last year.