Cavan v Tyrone - 5pm, Clones, Sat 6th July

Started by tyroneman, July 01, 2019, 12:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 04, 2019, 12:38:43 AM
So Tyrone are another racing cert? Just like Mayo were against The Rossies, or Tyrone were against Donegal, or Galway were against Ros or Monaghan against cavan and how many more favourites have fallen this year.
Cavan will be ready for this, the hype is gone now after the Ulster final, Graham will have them up and running Sunday and they will have learned from that Donegal game.
I expect a close game.

It seems to be mainly Cavan folk who think they have no chance. And anyone who thought Tyrone were "racing certs" v Donegal where clearly bluffers. I agree with you, a tight game is on the cards here, Cavan will have learned from the Donegal game and surely won't make the same mistakes when faced with a packed defence. However, I really hope Tyrone are planning to mix up their style as the games progress.
That was never a square ball!!

mrdeeds

Oisin Pierson and Caoimhim Reilly out. It's time to start Mackey.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 04, 2019, 07:46:59 AM
So Tyrone are another racing cert? Just like Mayo were against The Rossies, or Tyrone were against Donegal, or Galway were against Ros or Monaghan against cavan and how many more favourites have fallen this year.
Cavan will be ready for this, the hype is gone now after the Ulster final, Graham will have them up and running Sunday and they will have learned from that Donegal game.
I expect a close game.

It seems to be mainly Cavan folk who think they have no chance. And anyone who thought Tyrone were "racing certs" v Donegal where clearly bluffers. I agree with you, a tight game is on the cards here, Cavan will have learned from the Donegal game and surely won't make the same mistakes when faced with a packed defence. However, I really hope Tyrone are planning to mix up their style as the games progress.

Bookies have Tyrone @ 2/7 which I found very strange. They obviously have their mathematical calculations but I wouldn't have thought Tyrone were that nailed considering Galway are actually outsiders v Mayo. 

RedHand88

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 03, 2019, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 03, 2019, 02:15:41 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 03, 2019, 12:50:53 PM
Literally any other team would have been a satisfactory draw for Cavan, but if there's an all Ulster pairing possible, out of the hat she'll come. So deflating and such an anti climax, super 8s would have been a great developer for the team and manager. A typically impotent exit, following the usual script when we play Tyrone, could actually send us backwards a few steps. You'd hope that the bit of steel we've been able to show at times this summer will at least see us emerge with a an enhanced reputation, but as for the result it's a foregone conclusion I'm afraid.
That's one of the most pessimistic posts I've ever read. Is this the feeling in Cavan generally?

If it is then the players living in Cavan will surely pick up on this vibe and may be beaten before they take the pitch.

I'm afraid it is we really didn't want Tyrone  :-[ .

The bandwagon jumpers will have all gone to ground by now so i can see a small enough Cavan crowd travelling down the road also.

This post has cute hoor written all over it.

Angelo

Same XV as against Kildare? What you reckon lads?

It was great to see Meyler back, he really adds a tempo and vibrancy to the side. It would be harsh to drop anyone on the back of that performance. I presume Cassidy is fit?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Fuzzman

I was worried going into the Donegal and a bit worried for last weekend unless we upped it a gear which is what we did.

I would be hopeful that this was the management's plan was to cruise along in 2nd gear until July and then start putting the foot down a bit coming into the super 8s. I'd say Mickey and Co would never admit it but I think coming through the back door suits our approach a lot better.
There has been a good few years when we won Ulster that we were caught cold in the quarterfinals unless we met a lower division team.
Donegal certainly didn't benefit last year from winning Ulster and it would appear they have a tough draw again this year with their game in Croker v Kerry as expected but their harder qualifier game away to Galway or Mayo.

I think teams in the top 6 are at a different level to those below that and teams like Kildare and Cavan who often yo yo up and down from Div 1 cannot deal with the speed, strength and conditioning of these top teams any more. Cavan certainly found that v Donegal in the first half.
I could be wrong but I can see another game like Kildare, as long as Petey and Mattie continue were they left off last week. McShane could well be a decoy to keep two defenders busy and so to bring others more space.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cavan19

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 04, 2019, 10:42:38 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 04, 2019, 07:46:59 AM
I expect a close game.

Bookies have Tyrone @ 2/7 which I found very strange. They obviously have their mathematical calculations but I wouldn't have thought Tyrone were that nailed considering Galway are actually outsiders v Mayo.

5 or 6 point winners they reckon Tyrone will win by. Probably about be right as Cavan should give Tyrone a more competitive game than Kildare did last weekend.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on July 04, 2019, 12:50:10 PM
And the top 6 are?

Looks like one of the so called top 6 were already beaten by Cavan and knocked out of the championship by Armagh.  I find it mildly amusing how some think Tyrone can turn form on and off like a tap. In reality when Tyrone get any set back as they did v Donegal they have a manager with the ability and experience to change things up and bring that much needed improvement.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 04, 2019, 01:19:04 PM
And the top 6 are?

Looks like one of the so called top 6 were already beaten by Cavan and knocked out of the championship by Armagh.  I find it mildly amusing how some think Tyrone can turn form on and off like a tap. In reality when Tyrone get any set back as they did v Donegal they have a manager with the ability and experience to change things up and bring that much needed improvement.
was it not the managers fault that Tyrone were beat by Donegal in the first place?

lenny

Quote from: southtyronegael on July 04, 2019, 06:18:15 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 04, 2019, 01:19:04 PM
And the top 6 are?

was it not the managers fault that Tyrone were beat by Donegal in the first place?

I think the manager allowed a few of the backroom team to have a say in changing the gameplan but once they were beat it was back to his way, negative tactics, rosarys, mass before games etc.

Jayop

Mayo winning the league probably keeps them in any top 6 talk but another early exit this year from the championship and no super 8 will have them drop out. Strange team.

Other than that it's Dublin alone at the top. Then a gap back to kerry, Tyrone, Donegal, Galway and mayo in no particular order.

Cavan and roscommon just need a few scalps outside their own province and a decent stint in d1 to break into that. My own bias would have cavan a wee bit ahead but the rossies have their recent provincial titles and a win against Cavan in the d2 final a while back to point to.

cavanmaniac

One of the main positives about playing Tyrone in a championship match is a vibrant, active thread like this with lots to read to shorten bus journeys.

After that, I'm struggling.