Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Did the Top of the Mourne triathlon today!!! What a fecking killer that was, my first Olympic distance and it showed, the climb up to Spelga Dam was madness. Running is my thing out of the 3 but the 10k was the worst time ever lol. I'd like to see a tougher Tri for that distance. Brilliant craic........ NOW
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2014, 06:43:27 PM
Did the Top of the Mourne triathlon today!!! What a fecking killer that was, my first Olympic distance and it showed, the climb up to Spelga Dam was madness. Running is my thing out of the 3 but the 10k was the worst time ever lol. I'd like to see a tougher Tri for that distance. Brilliant craic........ NOW

Well done MR - if only I could swim! or owned a bike! Enjoy the pints tonight!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on August 09, 2014, 06:44:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2014, 06:43:27 PM

Well done MR - if only I could swim! or owned a bike! Enjoy the pints tonight!

I couldn't swim well for a long time and looking back at that today I probably still can't lol and I don't own a bike either CD I borrow a good racing bike and away I go. Not in a club nor train for it but after that if I were to do that distance again I'd train properly for it. But yeah its like anything, great when its done and I'll enjoy a few (already a couple down) tonight
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Just did Newry triathlon today, great craic and really pleased with my time. Fantastic day and another well run event as usual by the Newry boys
Great event and most of the roads all closed, I'm sure it caused big disruptions around the town but het good for us.

Had full feck up the whole journey down and back, pure car trouble that ended with car overheating to the point that I thought it was going to go on fire!! That's my last two Tris's were I've had car trouble heading down. I fecking hate cars!!

Mayo4Sam

What time are u doing these days MR2
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 31, 2014, 11:25:08 PM
What time are u doing these days MR2

1.21 today, still slow in the water but cycling getting better and managed 21mins for the run. Not serious enough about it. borrowed a friends bike today (A Boardman) and used the cleats for the first time, felt good though took me an age to click both in. That's me done for the year. Titanic soon but I'll watch it.

It's a great buzz but things are changing possibly work wise which will limit my spare time if it happens so will need to assess goals for next year

sabhallphadraig

Guys,

Complete novice here doing a fair bit of biking and running tho (separately) and interested in taking the step into this. Swim needs a lot of work to get even near the others but will be working at that.

General question tho - where do you get a good events calendar of triathlons (sprint and upwards)? country wide? - home base is Co. Down. Ironman at the end of the big plan but that's a while off and would want to go global scenic for that one :)

Thanks

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sabhallphadraig on September 06, 2014, 11:16:18 AM
Guys,

Complete novice here doing a fair bit of biking and running tho (separately) and interested in taking the step into this. Swim needs a lot of work to get even near the others but will be working at that.

General question tho - where do you get a good events calendar of triathlons (sprint and upwards)? country wide? - home base is Co. Down. Ironman at the end of the big plan but that's a while off and would want to go global scenic for that one :)

Thanks

http://www.triathlonireland.com/ would be the place to start. season nearly over but there is a pool based swim Tri in Newtownabbey at the end of the month, very good for starting out, then you can judge what needs worked on after that. The complete novice swimmer would need to do 30 lengths in under 30 mins. So get to the pool and see where you are at

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2014, 01:31:58 PM
Guys,

Thanks

http://www.triathlonireland.com/ would be the place to start. season nearly over but there is a pool based swim Tri in Newtownabbey at the end of the month, very good for starting out, then you can judge what needs worked on after that. The complete novice swimmer would need to do 30 lengths in under 30 mins. So get to the pool and see where you are at

Are you doing the Titanic triathlon tomorrow MR? I'm going to head into town to watch it in the morning.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

sabhallphadraig

Guys,

Thanks

Thanks MR2 - will look that one up and plan out targets for next year. Swim technique is gonna be the major weakness now and needing the most work but I def want to give this a go.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on September 06, 2014, 05:02:08 PM
Guys,

Thanks

Are you doing the Titanic triathlon tomorrow MR? I'm going to head into town to watch it in the morning.

Watching me thinks, first wave is at 8.45am

haranguerer

Guys,

Thanks

I've always used this one, loads a lot quicker for me: http://www.irishtriathlon.com/race-calendar-ireland/races/

If swimming is your weakness, it seems duathlons would be a good thing to do in the meantime while you're improving it

haranguerer

Milltown, whats the logistics for pool tris? Like I assume you're just in togs swimming, so do you just get changed into the cycling gear in the changing room and take it from there? Are transitions very long then?

I'd like to do that one - £50 is a tight ask for an event too though -£30 entry and a £20 one day licence on top

Mayo4Sam

If you have a tri suit you'd swim in that, straight onto the bike. Otherwise swim in shorts, throw on a top when you get to the bike, no changing room, clothes fired on over what you have on in the pool
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

haranguerer

Cheers. Ah, hadn't considered swimming in bib shorts (I assume they'd also be grand?). And do you generally just be running through the leisure centre soaking then?