Managerial Abuse

Started by highorlow, August 08, 2018, 10:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: J70 on August 08, 2018, 02:53:28 PM
There are clearly a lot of people out there with empty, meaningless, lives who lack any sense of perspective regarding the relative importance of sports. Whether that is the Tyrone supporter who gobbed down on Karl Lacey, the eejit from Mayo a few years back who ran into the field to pursue the ref or the lowlifes sending abusive, anonymous letters to a man like Eamon Fitmaurice.

If your team wins, enjoy it. If they lose, take it on the chin, congratulate your opponent and get back to your real life... you know... the stuff that actually matters.
In a nutshell, its only a game at the end of the day FFS.

mrdeeds

It's happened a couple of our previous chairmen at club level. There is a lot of crazy out there.

rosnarun

Quote from: hardstation on August 08, 2018, 03:39:02 PM
Is his point not that the previous management achieved all that Rochford did and more but were given the road rather unfairly? Given the circumstances surrounding the appointment of Rochford, he needed to be winning Sam and certainly not regressing to a point where they are not even winning a provincial title as well as being damn lucky not to have been relegated from Division 1.

That’s what I’m reading from his post.

they were harshly treated but by them that had to deal with them. the players and if the players as a group are not happy things are not going to go in the right direction for long.
the only player to speak up for H&C had left the panel which is rare enough in mayo.
but to use that as a stick to beat rochford with is just stupid , If it was the wrong decision then Mayo should mavel at how lucky they were to have Rochford in a position to take over
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ONeill

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 08, 2018, 03:11:47 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 08, 2018, 02:17:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2018, 01:55:47 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 08, 2018, 12:05:04 PM
I think Bernard Flynn loves trying his best to be controversial but to suggest that Rochford doesn't get enough criticism particularly with it being so topical at the moment was just plain daft.

Rochford hasn't won a single bit of silverware in his three seasons, and Mayo have generally preformed poorly in the championshipand league under him. Given H&C were jettisoned after winning Connacht and forcing a replay with Dublin one season in it's hard to argue against Flynn on this one, whatever you think about him in general. The Mayo panel used their political capital getting Rochford and seem to have stuck themselves with a bit of a turkey.

**** troll alert  this is not a drill  ******

**** he's not wrong though ******

****** I'm coming last *******
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 08, 2018, 04:37:18 PM
There are clearly a lot of people out there with empty, meaningless, lives who lack any sense of perspective regarding the relative importance of sports. Whether that is the Tyrone supporter who gobbed down on Karl Lacey, the eejit from Mayo a few years back who ran into the field to pursue the ref or the lowlifes sending abusive, anonymous letters to a man like Eamon Fitmaurice.

If your team wins, enjoy it. If they lose, take it on the chin, congratulate your opponent and get back to your real life... you know... the stuff that actually matters.
In a nutshell, its only a game at the end of the day FFS.

What if football is the only thing that matters to these guys..?

Halfquarter

Quote from: Jayop on August 08, 2018, 04:11:13 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 04:09:44 PM
Kerry players aren't immune to dishing out criticism. Tomas O'Sé fairly went to town on Cian O'Neill. Different breed down there. A lot of self-entitlement.

If this is as widespread as it's starting to look then I'm sure o'Neill had a few letters sent to him from within Kildare too.

Like who even writes letters anymore?

My thoughts exactly ,who writes letters,a lot of people nowadays would not know where to get a stamp.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 08, 2018, 08:40:18 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 08, 2018, 04:11:13 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 04:09:44 PM
Kerry players aren't immune to dishing out criticism. Tomas O'Sé fairly went to town on Cian O'Neill. Different breed down there. A lot of self-entitlement.

If this is as widespread as it's starting to look then I'm sure o'Neill had a few letters sent to him from within Kildare too.

Like who even writes letters anymore?

My thoughts exactly ,who writes letters,a lot of people nowadays would not know where to get a stamp.

Shows the age profile of the offender.

Jayop

And yet every interview I've heard this week blamed social media and dem forums for the problem of nasty letters. Sorry but 99 percent of people on twitter would never write a letter and I'd say about 98 percent the same one forums. It's quite obvious that this is older people for me and forums etc have little to do with it. Was there huge gaa forums 17 years ago when Paudi was giving out?

trileacman

I'd see a difference between those two actions and writing anonymous letters though. The lad who went on to abuse the ref lost his temper during a game when tempers were up and I imagine the Lacey incident was during a game  too. Given a half hour to cool off I'd say neither of those events wold have occurred. Someone who dwells on a match or season enough to sit down and write a posinous letter is clearly in a different category to those actions. There's a real malelovence involved in that.

I abuse the heads off players and referees during matches to the point that I'd be ashamed thinking back afterwards of what I said. Mostly though when the red mist lifts you see that you'd f**k all to be annoyed about. Someone who carries that ill feeling around with them to the point that they write hate mail are clearly physcotic.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Jayop on August 08, 2018, 09:08:31 PM
And yet every interview I've heard this week blamed social media and dem forums for the problem of nasty letters. Sorry but 99 percent of people on twitter would never write a letter and I'd say about 98 percent the same one forums. It's quite obvious that this is older people for me and forums etc have little to do with it. Was there huge gaa forums 17 years ago when Paudi was giving out?

Therre are parallels between hate mail and the forums. I've often thought the anonymity afforded to posters on this board and others isn't particularly fair. It's very easy to slate the shite out of players or coaches reputations when it comes at no cost to your own.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

smelmoth

Quote from: yellowcard on August 08, 2018, 10:47:13 AM
There should be a clear distinction made between managers who get paid vast sums of money and those who do it for the pride of their club/county.

When it comes to telling someone to jump off a cliff then there is no distinction to be made on whether they are paid. It and similar abuse is always wrong.

When it comes to criticising managerial decisions then there is no distinction. If the criticism is accurate or at least arguable then it's fair.

But you are right about one thing. Once the individual crosses the line and accepts payment for a role that the rules and traditions of the game state are exclusively amateur then it's difficult for them to appeal to the rules and traditions of the game for protection. The level of scrutiny and accountability increases once you take payment

rosnarun

Quote from: smelmoth on August 09, 2018, 08:30:17 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 08, 2018, 10:47:13 AM
There should be a clear distinction made between managers who get paid vast sums of money and those who do it for the pride of their club/county.

When it comes to telling someone to jump off a cliff then there is no distinction to be made on whether they are paid. It and similar abuse is always wrong.

When it comes to criticising managerial decisions then there is no distinction. If the criticism is accurate or at least arguable then it’s fair.

But you are right about one thing. Once the individual crosses the line and accepts payment for a role that the rules and traditions of the game state are exclusively amateur then it’s difficult for them to appeal to the rules and traditions of the game for protection. The level of scrutiny and accountability increases once you take payment
Is Jump Off a cliff mot just an expression though , Its not exactly 'ill shoot you and all your family' or ' look under your car tomorrow '  level of threat . in fact its an invitation not a threat .
I'd love if these guys would actually just show the letter and then we'd see exactly the extent and nature of the Problem
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

I dunno what can be done about any of this stuff.
It's not today or yesterday it started.
Why anyone pays any heed to the rantings of individuals who are clearly a bit tapped, I'll never know.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mourne Red

It's been fed in from the soccer, you see the abuse professional managers in EPL get.. People think they can use this in Gaelic football too, I've had parents give me abuse when managing underage, think people need to get their boots on and try management and see what it's like from the inside then they wouldn't be as quick to give abuse

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2018, 12:09:47 PM
I dunno what can be done about any of this stuff.
It's not today or yesterday it started.
Why anyone pays any heed to the rantings of individuals who are clearly a bit tapped, I'll never know.

You could say this about a woman who is being stalked and it becomes ridculous. Even the thickest-skinned animal of a man could be spooked if they have a family.