Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDenver

Quote from: screenexile on January 15, 2021, 12:16:44 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 15, 2021, 12:06:52 PM
No, while they always were mild Eurosceptics (like SF) they thought Brexit would solidify the border with the ROI. They repeatedly rejected Theresa May's deal as it left the border situation untouched  and then got shafted by Bojo and got the double whammy of an seamless border with the ROI and a customs border with GB. Karma.

Yeah they took the gamble that it would weaken the North South relationship. Then after the General Election in 2017 they could not have been in a better position when they had the Tories over a barrel. . . they massively overplayed their hand though and it spectacularly backfired.

I would really enjoy what's happening now if it weren't for the fact that I hate Brexit and what it means and the headaches it's causing me in work at the minute!

I would agree with you here. I am hoping that the ball ache of the brexit issues will be worthwhile and hopefully speed up the process of uniting Ireland in some form or other.

I wonder also are the DUP really as thick and pig ignorant as they come across?  It couldn't be the case. They are bound to have some savvy operators, but are they just outnumbered by butchers apron waving neanderthals?

The biggest hurdle will be convincing a sizeable portion of the PUL community that it would be beneficial to them (where it matters to most - in their pocket) to consider a united Ireland.

How many times will they get shafted by the Tories and Westminster before they realise they don't give two fiddlers about the North or the unionists there.

michaelg

No, while they always were mild Eurosceptics (like SF) they thought Brexit would solidify the border with the ROI. They repeatedly rejected Theresa May's deal as it left the border situation untouched  and then got shafted by Bojo and got the double whammy of an seamless border with the ROI and a customs border with GB. Karma.
I genuinely don't think this was the case.  Nobody who lived through the conflict here, even the DUP, would have wanted something that may have led to the return of what went on before.  Like most people, they voted for Brexit believing that there was little cjance of Leave winning.

bennydorano

They lost one of their best performers in Simon Hamilton as well, got fed up and went back to the private sector.

bennydorano

Quote from: michaelg on January 15, 2021, 12:33:31 PM
I genuinely don't think this was the case.  Nobody who lived through the conflict here, even the DUP, would have wanted something that may have led to the return of what went on before.  Like most people, they voted for Brexit believing that there was little cjance of Leave winning.
Thats a good point (altho only partial to the whole situation) that often gets lost, nobody (even Farage) expected Leave to win. A protest vote gone badly wrong.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 15, 2021, 12:21:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 15, 2021, 12:16:44 PM

Yeah they took the gamble that it would weaken the North South relationship. Then after the General Election in 2017 they could not have been in a better position when they had the Tories over a barrel. . . they massively overplayed their hand though and it spectacularly backfired.

I would really enjoy what's happening now if it weren't for the fact that I hate Brexit and what it means and the headaches it's causing me in work at the minute!

That's it in a nutshell.
Will it hit them at the polls? Depends on how soon the next election is....and the ability of UUP (an maybe alliance in some seats) to capitalise on the DUP shambles.
DUP will, no doubt, once again wave the flag and rhetoric that if they don't get the votes SF will be the biggest party and get the First Minister seat. It will take a lot to sway that band of voters away from the DUP when their traditional voters will be devastated if SF had that figurehead position.

Correct, the DUP electorate especially paisleys bunch of 16th century gimps round North Antrim will vote for them regardless of their failings. They are our version of the Alt-right and will keep on their inflexible directive to they are spouting their contentious rhetoric in the Dail and not Stormont. After seeing events the world over this last few day's it seems the political universe is heading for some welcomed realignment but don't expect these events to ingrain logic into the DUP masses.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

screenexile

I really think they'll suffer in the polls next time out they'll be begging the UUP for pacts all over the shop!

trailer

Brexit and the DUP were natural bedfellows. It was a right wing conservative ideology. They simply had to support it. But there is a real lack of intelligence and political nous in the party. Anyone could see they had significant power with Teresa May. They had the perfect scenario for them to influence and get a Brexit that suited NI. But they got completely outplayed by the ERG and Johnson. Johnson courted them perfectly. Drove May out with their help, got the top job and then just rid them up the hole. So much so that IPJ stood up the commons yesterday and sobbed his little heart out like a lover that had been dumped. It would be beautiful if it wasn't so serious. The most amazing thing was that everyone told them, absolutely everyone.

It just reflects poorly on our politics here. We have so many awful politicians, on both sides. a real lack of intelligence and ability. While we can say the DUP will get elected again, beat the drum etc... the same is true of Nationalists. Like we sent Martina Anderson to Brussels with an Irish passport and a James McLean jersey! Everyone needs to think long and hard about who we're voting for.

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on January 15, 2021, 01:00:23 PM
I really think they'll suffer in the polls next time out they'll be begging the UUP for pacts all over the shop!
I've been saying this for a while to friends and family and keep getting shot down. Things always remain the same until they suddenly don't in politics.

north_antrim_hound

Hope your right screen but if there has been one constant in our politics it's DUP incompetence in serving their electorate only for voters to re-up. They hate nationalism more then any accountability due for bad representation.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Taylor

As many have said the DUP will continue to be elected as long as SF top the polls among Nationalists.

If SDLP/Alliance had the majority of Nationalist votes then I really do think the soft supporting DUPers would have a different stance.

The will be a hardcore base of SF/DUP voters who will never change.

Its the more logical supporters from each side who are key

general_lee

Quote from: bennydorano on January 15, 2021, 12:38:58 PM
Thats a good point (altho only partial to the whole situation) that often gets lost, nobody (even Farage) expected Leave to win. A protest vote gone badly wrong.
Why did they spend £100ks on an advertising campaign then? One that wasn't even shown here? Let's not beat about the bush here, the DUP have some of the most belligerent, hostile bigots among their ranks and a return to a hard border on this island was like a wet dream to them.

Thankfully it has backfired spectacularly on them and they got border posts at Larne instead. The only silver lining out of all this chaos has been seeing Poots, Sammy and Paisley Óg crying with egg on their faces, desperately trying to blame everyone else for the mess they are solely responsible for.

Mike Tyson

Nah they did - hence why the likes of Crispin Odey made hundreds of millions shorting shares & the pound.

bennydorano

Quote from: general_lee on January 15, 2021, 02:16:51 PM
Why did they spend £100ks on an advertising campaign then? One that wasn't even shown here? Let's not beat about the bush here, the DUP have some of the most belligerent, hostile bigots among their ranks and a return to a hard border on this island was like a wet dream to them.

Thankfully it has backfired spectacularly on them and they got border posts at Larne instead. The only silver lining out of all this chaos has been seeing Poots, Sammy and Paisley Óg crying with egg on their faces, desperately trying to blame everyone else for the mess they are solely responsible for.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? but.... Allegedly - that was (illegal) Vote Leave money being re-distributed slyly to get round electoral funding guidelines - the DUP as ever willing to be the patsy for anything that shouts how British they are.

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on January 15, 2021, 02:31:50 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 15, 2021, 02:16:51 PM

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? but.... Allegedly - that was (illegal) Vote Leave money being re-distributed slyly to get round electoral funding guidelines - the DUP as ever willing to be the patsy for anything that shouts how British they are.

The clause in NI parties not needing to declare where they are funded from make them good for filtering dark money into the Leave Campaign.

There's plenty of pics of Sammy and Ian Óg living it up with Aaron Banks and Wigmore of the Leave.EU campaign who incidentally have had to reregister in Waterford to keep their .EU web address. Oh, the irony.

As for the DUP and Leave, it's hard to fathom unless they just wanted to align themselves with the right right wing of the Tory Party and honestly didn't believe it would ever happen plus get a few bob along the way.
In saying that once Vote Leave did actually win they were hopeless at anything remotely looking like a strategy for putting out what type of Brexit they wanted. Like all Unionists they can tell you what they don't want but not what they could accept.

I think it was Peter Robinson who said that there were senior members of the DUP promoted above their ability and that's pretty obvious to us all.

It would be good to see the back of them but the fear of a Shinner in first minister will be enough for them to keep the party faithful giving them their votes in the next assembly elections.

The UUP are abjectly useless yet again under the submariner.

red hander

Quote from: HiMucker on January 15, 2021, 01:15:23 PM
I've been saying this for a while to friends and family and keep getting shot down. Things always remain the same until they suddenly don't in politics.

And the UUP, with that complete and utter arsehole of a leader, will fall for it hook, line and sinker once the butcher's apron starts getting waved.