Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 06:52:58 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 14, 2016, 06:26:14 PM
Northern Ireland's growth in the last quarter exceeded the overall UK rate, now that is a shock! This quarter will also receive an almighty boost from border hopping shoppers.

While I find Brexit an act of grandiose stupidity, there is an undoubted element of punishing the Brits now (& plenty of self inflicted woes from the Tories). The EU is a club like any other club & it is fearing for it's future, if Italy goes, either politically in a Referendum or with it's basket case Banks the whole project is doomed. The EU will be doing all in it's power to prevent any further Referenda (?ums? ) occurring.

Longterm Brexit could work (who really knows?), but we've years of crap to wade through first unfortunately.

The experts on here know cause they quote people who says it will!

The 'experts' on here quote actual experts.  Who do you quote?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2016, 06:32:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 06:12:20 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2016, 04:22:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 01:13:09 PM
Quote from: uimhr ocht on October 14, 2016, 12:37:56 PM
The pound is in diffs, food prices rising,fuel hiked another 5p litre,jobs being lost,things arent going to improve.Brexit was voted for by working class english people im sure they will suffer the most ironic really.

So why are people still coming over the border to buy food? very strange

Are you determined to ignore every bit of evidence that's produced on the topic?  This is Fearon-esque behavior.

No but everyone has given it the doomsday scenario!! I wasn't for the change didnt vote for it, at the minute there is panic by companies and banks and the rest, due to the uncertainty on what could happen and they are preparing for the worst.. but this doom and gloom hasn't happened yet!

Fuel was up a lot more last year than it is now, got a general shop today, nothing stood out to be extortionate, business seems fine nothing, I work in sales and people are buying.

The forecast may be different 5 years later but if it happens it won't be the 70's 3 day week and turn off the power! It won't really effect people who work. And eventually it will level out and then grow.

Our kids will find it tougher but they have a better life than I had growing up in the 70's without a penny to my name!

So it's not head in the sand, nor do I need an economics degree to understand it

No but everyone has given it the doomsday scenario!! I wasn't for the change didnt vote for it, at the minute there is panic by companies and banks and the rest, due to the uncertainty on what could happen and they are preparing for the worst.. but this doom and gloom hasn't happened yet!

I don't think they have, the only one on here who continually quotes the doomsday scenario is seafoid.  As far as I can see, everyone else presents evidence based scenarios from reputable sources (usually quoted).  You haven't provided any evidence whatsoever, just anecdotes and instincts.  And as you seem to enjoy an anecdote, I'll give you one.  You say this 'doom and gloom' hasn't happened yet.  Maybe not in your world.  I was talking to the MD of a relatively successful local company recently who trade mostly in Europe.  The night before the vote they forward bought 20 million euro to hedge against a leave vote.  With the utmost sincerity he tells me now that if they hadn't done that, they would be out of business today.  That's 300 odd people who would right in the middle of 'doom and gloom' at the minute.  The only reason we haven't seen more like this is because of actions like his and those of the BofE who pumped billions into the economy after the vote to steady it up.

Fuel was up a lot more last year than it is now, got a general shop today, nothing stood out to be extortionate, business seems fine nothing, I work in sales and people are buying.

Firstly, you probably won't notice the effect of food just yet but it's coming.  Fuel last year was probably where it should be. At minute is being held artificially low to put pressure on Putin.  If the price of a barrel of oil climbs to anywhere near what it did at it's peak, with the current state of sterling, we'll be paying 2 quid a litre.  Secondly, and as I've said before, it hasn't happened yet.

The forecast may be different 5 years later but if it happens it won't be the 70's 3 day week and turn off the power! It won't really effect people who work. And eventually it will level out and then grow.

Our kids will find it tougher but they have a better life than I had growing up in the 70's without a penny to my name!

You must have some sort of economics qualification to be fit to state all this.  Again without any shred of supporting evidence whatsoever.

So it's not head in the sand, nor do I need an economics degree to understand it

It is, you know.  And no, you don't need a degree to understand it.  But you need more than what you've got at the minute cos you clearly don't.

Yeah I never claimed to have a degree in economics nor do you I suspect or most people on here but they love quoting, I'm sure you've lived long enough to have lived through harder times than what will or might happen depending on where you find the quotes..

If I found quotes that said things won't be as bad will that suffice?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 07:03:23 PM
The pound is in diffs, food prices rising,fuel hiked another 5p litre,jobs being lost,things arent going to improve.Brexit was voted for by working class english people im sure they will suffer the most ironic really.

Are you determined to ignore every bit of evidence that's produced on the topic?  This is Fearon-esque behavior.

I don't think they have, the only one on here who continually quotes the doomsday scenario is seafoid.  As far as I can see, everyone else presents evidence based scenarios from reputable sources (usually quoted).  You haven't provided any evidence whatsoever, just anecdotes and instincts.  And as you seem to enjoy an anecdote, I'll give you one.  You say this 'doom and gloom' hasn't happened yet.  Maybe not in your world.  I was talking to the MD of a relatively successful local company recently who trade mostly in Europe.  The night before the vote they forward bought 20 million euro to hedge against a leave vote.  With the utmost sincerity he tells me now that if they hadn't done that, they would be out of business today.  That's 300 odd people who would right in the middle of 'doom and gloom' at the minute.  The only reason we haven't seen more like this is because of actions like his and those of the BofE who pumped billions into the economy after the vote to steady it up.

Firstly, you probably won't notice the effect of food just yet but it's coming.  Fuel last year was probably where it should be. At minute is being held artificially low to put pressure on Putin.  If the price of a barrel of oil climbs to anywhere near what it did at it's peak, with the current state of sterling, we'll be paying 2 quid a litre.  Secondly, and as I've said before, it hasn't happened yet.

You must have some sort of economics qualification to be fit to state all this.  Again without any shred of supporting evidence whatsoever.

It is, you know.  And no, you don't need a degree to understand it.  But you need more than what you've got at the minute cos you clearly don't.

Yeah I never claimed to have a degree in economics nor do you I suspect or most people on here but they love quoting, I'm sure you've lived long enough to have lived through harder times than what will or might happen depending on where you find the quotes..

Most people would have the sense to know that if they know sweet FA about a subject, they'd look for an expert opinion.  You blather on regardless.

I refer you to my last post.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2016, 07:11:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 07:03:23 PM

Most people would have the sense to know that if they know sweet FA about a subject, they'd look for an expert opinion.  You blather on regardless.

I refer you to my last post.

So you know nothing then?? Because you quote
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Yes, that's it.  ::)

If you want to debate, post something worthwhile.  If you want to run round in circles, making petty, inane points about the form of words, by all means, go ahead.  But if that's the case, im out.  Your ball.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2016, 08:26:07 PM

If you want to debate, post something worthwhile.  If you want to run round in circles, making petty, inane points about the form of words, by all means, go ahead.  But if that's the case, im out.  Your ball.

When debating debate, throwing in quotes all the time from experts isn't debating. I'm as concerned as the next person on how brexit is going to effect me be more importantly my family...

But the wild predictions on the severity of the brexit aftermath is (to me anyways) exaggerated to the point that there will be widespread disruptions huge job losses and wages cut! Could it be any more worse than the collapse from the banks??

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 08:37:53 PM

When debating debate, throwing in quotes all the time from experts isn't debating. I'm as concerned as the next person on how brexit is going to effect me be more importantly my family...

But the wild predictions on the severity of the brexit aftermath is (to me anyways) exaggerated to the point that there will be widespread disruptions huge job losses and wages cut! Could it be any more worse than the collapse from the banks??

Quotes are only one small part of what is being presented here.  We can look at the evidence with our own eyes.  The collapse of sterling being the main one.  Investors are dumping it in such numbers that it the worst performing currency in the world this year.  The 'wild predictions' are based on indicators like this.  As far as I can see, the wildest predictions are made by those who are in the 'it's gonna be OK' brigade.  This is the group that includes Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and Jamie Bryson.  And what do all these people  have in common?  They provide no evidence to back up their assertions, they just keep repeating them and hope we'll all believe it.  It doesn't wash with me.

As for the bank collapse comparison - I don't know, maybe it will, maybe it won't.  But I tell you what, I wouldn't like to go back to 2008-2009 again.  It was grim.  I was lucky but a good few of my friends and family had to leave at that time for work and some haven't returned.  I had another friend who took his own life because he couldn't pay his debts.  If it gets anywhere near that bad again, it'll be sad times ahead.  And the kicker is, we f**king  "CHOSE" this.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 08:37:53 PM

Maybe it won't be that bad. But the dynamic would have to change.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2016, 09:03:53 PM

As for the bank collapse comparison - I don't know, maybe it will, maybe it won't.  But I tell you what, I wouldn't like to go back to 2008-2009 again.  It was grim.  I was lucky but a good few of my friends and family had to leave at that time for work and some haven't returned.  I had another friend who took his own life because he couldn't pay his debts.  If it gets anywhere near that bad again, it'll be sad times ahead.  And the kicker is, we f**king  "CHOSE" this.

We didn't choose it. The electorate of a foreign country did and are now (once again) imposing their will upon us.

Franko

Hence the inverted commas.

imtommygunn

Quote from: OgraAnDun on October 14, 2016, 09:21:55 PM

We didn't choose it. The electorate of a foreign country did and are now (once again) imposing their will upon us.

Backed up by the dup. While the snp fight their corner for what their country voted for the dup don't find for the will of northern ireland because they wanted out. They have no interests in representing the will of anyone here unless it suits them and they continually get voted in. The economy falling on it's arse and what could be disasterous for here but they might get a border to appease them and their insecurities over their beloved union.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 14, 2016, 09:36:30 PM

Backed up by the dup. While the snp fight their corner for what their country voted for the dup don't find for the will of northern ireland because they wanted out. They have no interests in representing the will of anyone here unless it suits them and they continually get voted in. The economy falling on it's arse and what could be disasterous for here but they might get a border to appease them and their insecurities over their beloved union.

Although they were moronic in backing a Brexit and probably hoped that it wouldn't actually be passed, from a unionists point of view I can see where they are coming from in that they believe that the UK (including the O6) is all one entity and therefore the wishes of the majority should be respected. It's just ironic that that is how the northern statelet came into being in the first place. But if they fight for the north to have a special arrangement, they're basically admitting that it's not really part of the UK, or that at some point in the future it will not be.

I think they've shot themselves in the foot big time anyway, the issue of a United Ireland is now firmly back on the agenda and there have been more articles, polls and discussion on it in the past few months than in the previous ten years. I woke up that June morning delighted that the Brits had committed economic suicide safe in the knowledge that it is the best thing long term for Irish nationalism.

imtommygunn

Yeah the irony is that they have probably weakened it.

I can see that they are going with the democratic decision of their great one entity and they will push this but i don't for one second think that if the democratic decision didn't suit them they would back it.

Milltown Row2

At no point have I said that it will be ok and that there won't be repercussions!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: OgraAnDun on October 14, 2016, 09:57:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 14, 2016, 09:36:30 PM

Although they were moronic in backing a Brexit and probably hoped that it wouldn't actually be passed, from a unionists point of view I can see where they are coming from in that they believe that the UK (including the O6) is all one entity and therefore the wishes of the majority should be respected. It's just ironic that that is how the northern statelet came into being in the first place. But if they fight for the north to have a special arrangement, they're basically admitting that it's not really part of the UK, or that at some point in the future it will not be.

I think they've shot themselves in the foot big time anyway, the issue of a United Ireland is now firmly back on the agenda and there have been more articles, polls and discussion on it in the past few months than in the previous ten years. I woke up that June morning delighted that the Brits had committed economic suicide safe in the knowledge that it is the best thing long term for Irish nationalism.
In a weird sort of way...so did I.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.