Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2016, 04:35:51 PM
Quote from: Canalman on July 05, 2016, 04:27:58 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2016, 11:20:10 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 05, 2016, 11:13:45 AM
Unfortunately, the British media, the likes of the Sun, have been peddling this anti EU cack for years with nonsense about straight bananas and the like, the list of myths is endless. Apparently. the EU decided to abolish double decker buses over 20 years ago, not surprising Boris and Wright were opposed. Oddly enough there are still double decker buses.
The EU was overwhelmingly positive for the UK economy.
Murdoch and Dacre and co hate it.
Sun and DM  readers will now be shafted

Seafoid, huge swathes of the north and midlands of England  ( by far the soundest and nicest people in England imo for what it is worth ) obviously disagreed with you about the EU being overwhelmingly positive for the UK economy.

Not particularly happy myself with the outcome , but the whingeing and downright snobbery from the losing side is a bit hard to take.

Canalman

Without Europe the UK would be in a much worse state. Areas like Cornwall got grants from the EU for development that London will never pay-
The issue in the UK is how the money in the economny is distributed and that is related to the Thatcherite economic system.
But you won't read about that in the Sun.

Cornwall voted out.

seafoid

Brexit reminds me of this

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~cooneys/poems/cummings.ygUDuh.html
ygUDuh

ydoan
       yunnuhstan

ydoan o
       yunnuhstand dem
       yguduh ged

yunnuhstan dem doidee
       yguduh ged riduh
       ydoan o nudn

LISN bud LISN

dem
            gud
            am

lidl yelluh bas
            tuds weer goin

duhSIVILEYEzum

seafoid

If you look at  a map of England by income levels all the ones that are 60% below the average voted Brexit.
NI is actually quite well off compared to large chunks of the North of England. Wales is as poor as Portugal.
The economic system basically works by driving down wages of working class people and blowing up asset bubbles.
It doesn't work for people in Hull or Middlesbrough or Penzance.

Brexit is a p***k tease. It won't change anything. People will become even more angry and more disillusioned.
The real cause of the despair has to be tackled. That means a new economic system.   

muppet

The worst thing about all of this is that there is no plan for tomorrow, next week or next month in the UK. No one has any idea where this is going or even when it will begin to go there.

Three of the main architects of that chaos have walked away: Cameron, BoJo and Farage.

This is truly amazing. When analysing something like this we usually look for the most prominent Machiavellian character. None of the above fit that bill and were very obviously pawns, not that they knew it. They each thought the right Brexit vote would be the making of them. Now that they realise they are the patsies, they are not hanging around for this slow tsunami, as they can see better than we can, how big the mess they created is going to be.

However, Gove remains. He reminds me of Oliver Cromwell for some reason. I'll be keeping a close eye on him from now on.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2016, 05:01:51 PM
The worst thing about all of this is that there is no plan for tomorrow, next week or next month in the UK. No one has any idea where this is going or even when it will begin to go there.

Three of the main architects of that chaos have walked away: Cameron, BoJo and Farage.

This is truly amazing. When analysing something like this we usually look for the most prominent Machiavellian character. None of the above fit that bill and were very obviously pawns, not that they knew it. They each thought the right Brexit vote would be the making of them. Now that they realise they are the patsies, they are not hanging around for this slow tsunami, as they can see better than we can, how big the mess they created is going to be.

However, Gove remains. He reminds me of Oliver Cromwell for some reason. I'll be keeping a close eye on him from now on.

Cameron broke the link between the vote and Article 50.
He is Blackadder
Gove is finished.

Minder

It was pretty obvious that Cameron was gone if it was a Leave vote. He bet his political career on it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: Minder on July 05, 2016, 05:44:25 PM

It was pretty obvious that Cameron was gone if it was a Leave vote. He bet his political career on it.

Yes, but Bojo and Farage didn't win by the vote going the other way.

So who is pulling the strings?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2016, 05:46:50 PM

Arlene Foster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on July 05, 2016, 05:48:56 PM

Arlene Foster.

Another who lost, but she doesn't realise it yet.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: Minder on July 05, 2016, 05:44:25 PM

Tory grandees backed by the City would be my guess. May is plamasing the Brexit crowd.

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jul/05/media-should-rethink-coverage-in-wake-of-brexit-vote-says-justin-webb

BBC presenter Justin Webb has said the media needs to look again at how it covers politics and the way it holds people to account in the wake of the vote to leave the European Union.
Webb, one of the BBC Radio 4 Today team, spoke out after Oscar-winning film producer Lord Puttnam criticised the BBC's coverage of the European debate as constipated and effectively hamstrung by its own strict rules on impartiality.

muppet

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2016, 04:30:00 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0705/800274-bank-of-england-brexit/

The Bank of England has taken steps to ensure British banks can keep lending and insurers do not dump corporate bonds in the "challenging" period that is likely to follow the country's shock vote to leave the European Union.

The central bank said it would lower the amount of capital banks are required to hold in reserve, freeing up an extra £150 billion pounds for lending in a reversal of a decision it took earlier this year, when it started tightening screws on lenders because Britain's economy appeared on course for more growth.

BoE Governor Mark Carney said the move represented a "major change" that would help the economy to weather the Brexit hit.

Heganboy and others.....

You can take Carney at his words above........

Or, it is possible that one or more UK banks cannot meet the current Capital requirements and this is a drastic short-term fudge?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/05/ken-clarke-caught-camera-ridiculing-tory-leadership-candidates-theresa-may-michael-gove

Clarke went on to claim that neither Andrea Leadsom nor Boris Johnson really wanted to leave the European Union.
"Well I don't think they even cared very much either way," Rifkind replied.
Clarke continued: "She is not one of the tiny band of lunatics who think we can have a sort of glorious economic future outside the single market ... So long as she understands that she's not to deliver on some of the extremely stupid things she's been saying."

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2016, 06:30:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2016, 04:30:00 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0705/800274-bank-of-england-brexit/

The Bank of England has taken steps to ensure British banks can keep lending and insurers do not dump corporate bonds in the "challenging" period that is likely to follow the country's shock vote to leave the European Union.

The central bank said it would lower the amount of capital banks are required to hold in reserve, freeing up an extra £150 billion pounds for lending in a reversal of a decision it took earlier this year, when it started tightening screws on lenders because Britain's economy appeared on course for more growth.

BoE Governor Mark Carney said the move represented a "major change" that would help the economy to weather the Brexit hit.

Heganboy and others.....

You can take Carney at his words above........

Or, it is possible that one or more UK banks cannot meet the current Capital requirements and this is a drastic short-term fudge?

I think it is more likely to be linked to his decision to lower interest rates which reduces the net interest margins of the banks from their already pathetic levels . They need some kind of offset

seafoid

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jul/05/brexit-live-tory-leadership-tom-watson-unions-jeremy-corbyn

In the House of Lords debate on the EU referendum, the archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev Justin Welby, said the Brexit vote had led to the worst "out-welling of poison and hatred" he had seen for years.

The events of the last two weeks have led to some of the most dramatic and dynamic changes that we've known. The course of the campaign was both robust, as it properly should be on such great issues, but at times veered over the line on both sides into being not merely robust but unacceptable.

Through those comments were created cracks in the thin crust of the politeness and tolerance of our society, through which, since the referendum, we have seen an out-welling of poison and hatred that I cannot remember in this country for very many years.

It is essential, not only in this House but for the leaders of both sides, and throughout our society, to challenge the attacks, the xenophobia and the racism that seem to have been felt to be acceptable, at least for a while.

He said that, to repair the damage, more needed to be done to tackle inequality.

The biggest thing it seems to me that we must challenge, my Lords, if we are to be effective in this creation of a new vision for Britain – a vision that enables hope and reconciliation to begin to flower – is to tackle the issues of inequality. It is inequality that thins out the crust of our society. It is inequality that raises the levels of anger and bitterness.

We have done it before, my Lords. This is not new. In the 19th century we tackled inequality. In the great governments following 1945 we tackled the inequality that had been so ruinous to our society in the 1930s and led to the failures of that time.

The tools to tackle inequality are as readily available as they ever were, my Lords. They are the obvious ones of education, of public health – and we would add today mental health – of housing. But those tools are tools that we have to take up and invest in.