Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: Franko on June 29, 2016, 02:01:14 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 29, 2016, 11:16:41 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 29, 2016, 10:44:03 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 29, 2016, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 29, 2016, 07:23:54 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 06:25:43 AM
Sturgeon is doing a great job.  Scotland's problem is the usual one of balancing the books, but also the problem that if England isn't  closely aligned then you'd have customs etc in Britain.  Interesting times, indeed.

She is playing a blinder.

However, she needs to be careful not to overplay her hand.

She has a massive mandate to stay in the EU, not for independence. If she keeps to the former I think she can succeed. If she gambles and seeks a vote for the latter, she could blow it completely a lá Cameron.

How is she playing a blinder exactly? She's been dealt a royal flush.

If you equate a royal flush to 'exactly what she didn't want' then yes, that's what she's got.

Can you explain that?

Her and her party were among the most vociferous campaigners for a Remain vote.  That was the main aim for Scotland and the SNP.  They got a leave vote.

The political circumstances since and the relative votes of the constituent countries have conspired to put the issue of Scottish independence back on the table, which is a side benefit for the SNP.

She has come out of this as the only leader who;

a. convinced her people to vote (overwhelmingly) as she wanted

and

b. is making positive strides in the aftermath to give her people what they have clearly said they want.

'...exactly what she didn't want'? Hardly.

I'm not slating her by any means, just a little confused to see this much praise being heaped upon her when events conspired to suit her and her party pretty much perfectly. She can't be given the credit for the Remain vote - all five parties in Scotland backed Remain.

Post the Brexit vote, she has made the speeches and taken the action you'd expect anyone to make/take.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/nicola-sturgeon-remain-the-logical-vote-for-those-who-want-indyref-2-1-4158610

Mr Cameron told the Daily Mail: "The SNP has already said it will use a Brexit vote to kick-start their independence plans. So just at the point when doubts over Scotland's constitutional future were being erased, a Leave vote tomorrow will take Scotland back to square one.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/211575/nicola-sturgeon-david-cameron-last-ditch-appeals-scots-vote-remain/

imtommygunn

Have the dup even once acknowledged that their campaign failed and that the majority over here voted for remain?? I haven't heard it once. Surely even that economic "expert" Sammy Wilson (who could probably barely count to ten) has noticed the damage it has done??

they want a border - i really don't see what else they hoped to gain from it.

Declan

muppet

Quote from: Declan on June 29, 2016, 03:59:40 PM

He probably was thinking of Luke Ming Flanagan.
MWWSI 2017

NAG1

Quote from: Declan on June 29, 2016, 03:59:40 PM

This is the caused by the dangerous lies that Boris created about the EU when he was a reporter there. Blatant lies which have been highlighted by many jounos since.

But he created the attitude and set the tone for the Brits to the EU in a negative way.

Hereiam

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2016, 03:36:59 PM
Have the dup even once acknowledged that their campaign failed and that the majority over here voted for remain?? I haven't heard it once. Surely even that economic "expert" Sammy Wilson (who could probably barely count to ten) has noticed the damage it has done??

they want a border - i really don't see what else they hoped to gain from it.

The question is what were the DUP promised or paid to back the leave side, and who were the pay masters. I don't think this had anything to do with the border as Foster is not stupid she would have known what an exit from Europe would mean. Its maybe a bit of a coincidence that the queen is over here at the minute and i would not discount the fact that the royal establishment pushed for an exit.

GJL

Quote◾US bank JP Morgan has said it now expects Scotland to vote for independence and introduce its own currency before Britain leaves the European Union in 2019.
◾JP Morgan economist Malcolm Barr said in a note to clients: "Our base case is that Scotland will vote for independence and institute a new currency at that point (2019)"

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on June 29, 2016, 04:13:38 PM
The question is what were the DUP promised or paid to back the leave side, and who were the pay masters. I don't think this had anything to do with the border as Foster is not stupid she would have known what an exit from Europe would mean. Its maybe a bit of a coincidence that the queen is over here at the minute and i would not discount the fact that the royal establishment pushed for an exit.

Foster knew what it would mean, a border and disruption of cross border trade and although such trade is very important in her own constituency she still went for it.
As for QEII , she too must have known that Leave would kick things off in Scotland and she previously was presumed not to be too keen on the Scots doing their own thing.

Are they both mad? QEII has the excuse of being 90, what's Arlene's excuse?

Meanwhile another dodgy female, Villiers, has stated that NI will not get special treatment   and "I believe we can keep a border which is as open and free-flowing as it is today,". This combination is only possible if they scrap the whole Brexit thing. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

I saw a map of the NI vote. Brexit won in most of Antrim bar Belfast and North Down. Heavy unionist country. Nietzsche said madness is common in groups.

screenexile

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 04:56:41 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on June 29, 2016, 04:13:38 PM

Foster knew what it would mean, a border and disruption of cross border trade and although such trade is very important in her own constituency she still went for it.
As for QEII , she too must have known that Leave would kick things off in Scotland and she previously was presumed not to be too keen on the Scots doing their own thing.

Are they both mad? QEII has the excuse of being 90, what's Arlene's excuse?

Meanwhile another dodgy female, Villiers, has stated that NI will not get special treatment   and "I believe we can keep a border which is as open and free-flowing as it is today,". This combination is only possible if they scrap the whole Brexit thing.

I hate Villiers!!!! Even to look at her she looks hateful!

seafoid

Villiers is an idiot. Brexit is the worst thing to happen to the UK in a very long time. One in 5 foreign companies think they may relocate.

No wides

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2016, 06:38:22 PM
Villiers is an idiot. Brexit is the worst thing to happen to the UK in a very long time. One in 5 foreign companies think they may relocate.

Fear factor again. It is what it is lets embrace it.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2016, 05:16:38 PM
I saw a map of the NI vote. Brexit won in most of Antrim bar Belfast and North Down. Heavy unionist country. Nietzsche said madness is common in groups.
Surely north Down would be unionist too?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 29, 2016, 10:04:26 PM

Yes, but there is great respect for the half crown (and $, €, etc) there as well as the crown.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 29, 2016, 10:04:26 PM
It was just the way it was written. Down isn't in Antrim. Brexit vote was correlated with orange.