Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Actually it was a much greater leap for Stalford than Arlene.  As a party leader on a planned round of gestures to groups beyond that reached by her party she was sure in her approach and knew what was happening in advance.  She is doing this round with the authority and consent of the party officers. 

It was easy to stand for the anthem because in her eyes and those of her supporters she was merely showing respect to the anthem of a neighbouring nation.

However, for Stalford, it was more difficult.  Given his Church and beliefs, going to the game on a Sunday or participating in political activity on a Sunday is a major issue.  He doesn't have the same cover as Arlene particularly in is local area and not being in a leadership role.  So, fair play to Stalford for joining Arlene.

Orior

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 24, 2018, 08:59:31 PM
Actually it was a much greater leap for Stalford than Arlene.  As a party leader on a planned round of gestures to groups beyond that reached by her party she was sure in her approach and knew what was happening in advance.  She is doing this round with the authority and consent of the party officers. 

It was easy to stand for the anthem because in her eyes and those of her supporters she was merely showing respect to the anthem of a neighbouring nation.

However, for Stalford, it was more difficult.  Given his Church and beliefs, going to the game on a Sunday or participating in political activity on a Sunday is a major issue.  He doesn't have the same cover as Arlene particularly in is local area and not being in a leadership role.  So, fair play to Stalford for joining Arlene.

And what about Stalford's eyes?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orchard park

Quote from: snoopdog on June 24, 2018, 06:28:11 PM
Arlene not so bigoted today. Fair play to her.

Playing party politics with Sinn Fein ( very) lite .....  but getting good spin from it

armaghniac

Perhaps he thinks the wind is changing and that things will be different within his political career.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

She's clearly been told by her PR people that she's too cold in certain issues and needs to soften her stance on a few things.

It can only be a good thing that she's engaging with LGBTQ and the GAA and for someone who wasn't into gesture politics finally she's realised that it's sknethung you need to do when you're a leader!!

mrdeeds

Did the whole Paddy Kielty thing make her realise she needed to change tact?

AQMP

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 24, 2018, 08:56:53 PM
I thought Heather Humphreys should have joined in the singing of the National Anthem

I'm sure she and Arlene gave it a few verses of "The Sash" afterwards.

nrico2006

Fair play to Foster for attending. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sensethetone

Quote from: armaghniac on June 24, 2018, 10:28:55 PM

Perhaps he thinks the wind is changing and that things will be different within his political career.

Stalford could be the next DUP leader in the North, Arlene shouldn't have a future in NI politics.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: sensethetone on June 25, 2018, 11:01:01 AM

Stalford could be the next DUP leader in the North, Arlene shouldn't have a future in NI politics.

Think Simon Hamilton will be next DUP leader

Keyser soze

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 25, 2018, 12:32:24 AM
Did the whole Paddy Kielty thing make her realise she needed to change tact?

Might have made her realise she needed to change tack.

Denn Forever

So Arlene has made a giant gesture.  Is there a similar gessture that Sinn Féin could make?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

sensethetone

Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 25, 2018, 11:20:02 AM
Quote from: sensethetone on June 25, 2018, 11:01:01 AM

Think Simon Hamilton will be next DUP leader

Simon's probably an ideal candidate, that's why the DUP will probably not let him be leader lol.. Stalford done over Emma little-Pengelly to make sure he was an MLA(probably short term gain as she got the MP number).. he'll sort Simon, chris is a winner, probably was routing for Donegal yesterday too.

ziggysego

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 25, 2018, 11:23:51 AM
So Arlene has made a giant gesture.  Is there a similar gessture that Sinn Féin could make?

Met the Queen on many occasion. MMcG went to NI game during the Euros. Mary Lou said L'Derry. I'm sure there's more.
Testing Accessibility

6th sam

Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2018, 11:39:05 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 25, 2018, 11:23:51 AM

Met the Queen on many occasion. MMcG went to NI game during the Euros. Mary Lou said L'Derry. I'm sure there's more.

"A giant gesture" , presumably you're having a laugh?

This choreographing and gesture politics irritates me, but surprisingly it often turns out to be beneficial, from a PR perspective as a milestone on the road to reconciliation.
Arlene unfortunately has shown her true colours especially in the Kielty programme. Her comments after yesterday indicate that she only had eyes on her own community's response to the gesture. She is at best bedgrudging and her reconciliation efforts appear forced and contrived. She talked about wishing her neighbours well, in other words it's not my team, it's the local fenians' team.
I suspect the DUP see an opportunity that conservative catholics could swell their ranks, so they'll have to be seen to engage with the GAA to which many conservative catholics have a strong affinity.

At the heels of the hunt , she has never shown any rapport or even recognition for Irish culture. Ireland remains the enemy ( understandably given her own experiences) and her bedgrudging gesture politics is merely a means to an end. She even got in her dig regarding respect for culture, again equating the GAA with the orange order. Her body language was uncomfortable For the most part.
She is among a dying breed of dinosaurs ( Sammy, Edwin , Nigel, Gregory, Nelson) who are fast losing credibility in their own community . The majority of their support comes from the older generation and thankfully their influence is on the wane.
I have to say , the sycophantic " isn't she great for coming along to the Ulster final" grates with me.
She is attending one of the most important Ulster sporting events of the year , on her own doorstep, with her own county competing as underdogs. The fact that it was staged in ROI meant standing in a "foreign country" for their anthem, was no challenge for her.
If She aspires to be a true leader  of NI again, she has to openly embrace all cultures within that. I don't think she possesses those personality traits and leadership qualities, the personal experiences of her family and community still dominate her agenda . Can she rise above that ? I doubt it.