Favourite Christmas Tunes

Started by Puckoon, December 19, 2023, 04:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

;D The wife hates it. So have it on repeat for the next week or two.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

From the Bunker

Think this thread should have been called ''Good Christmas Songs that go under the Radar''. We can all list the usual suspects - good or bad that are rolled out religiously every year. Can we unearth hidden gems?

weareros

Maybe not a hidden gem, but I always consider Arthur McBride and the Sergeant (Paul Brady version) as a Christmas Song and it's quite brilliant. It's an old song too (dating to late 1700s/early 1800s with class lyrics).

J70

Bob Dylan - Must be Santa

Brilliant version (like the Pogues might have done). And Dylan in a blonde wig at a fairly wild house party in the vid.

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on December 19, 2023, 04:46:23 PMMariah gets a lot of flack these days in the memes, but her Christmas tune is still a banger. Shane always made a good run this time of year and this year even more so with his unfortunate passing.

Let's see your favourites - even the obscure ones:

Baby it's cold outside - well they've tried to cancel it but it's still gonna be one of my favorites - particularly this version with Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews

IMO 2000 miles by The Pretenders is a criminally underrated Christmas banger

Happy Christmas GAABOARD.

Heard a version of Cold Outside while driving this evening. John Legend and Kelly Clarkson. Sounded like they rewrote it to be more acceptable to those who insist in interpreting it under the modern light of spiked drinks.

Sounded perfectly fine, to be honest. But I like the old versions too.

J70

Brilliant version of O Holy Night by Etta James. Personally only heard it last year for the first time.

thewobbler

If we are getting into the cousins of Christmas songs, I do like this arrangement, and have never heard it anywhere apart from on a compilation album I happened upon once upon a time.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Puckoon

Not going to put it up here, but if you've ever had the misfortune to hear Bob Dylan's rendition of Hark the Herald Angels...

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GAABoardMod5

Dropkick Murphys "The Season's Upon Us"

If the gaaboard all got together, it would resemble these scenes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

weareros

Always enjoy the Mud performance on Top of the Pops with the fake snow. BBC4 show it every now and then.

Here's a man with strong Irish connections with a Christmas instrumental classic from 1975.

seafoid

More New Year's Eve than Christmas ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryg7ZB10hKQ

Lush, 31 Dec 99 OWC

Queen - We Will Rock You
Angelli & Nelson - El Nino [Xtravaganza]
Lustral - Everytime (Nalin And Kane 97 Mix) [Hooj Choons]
Paganni Trax - Zoe (Timo Mass Mix) [Incredible / Sony]
Fat Heads - Music For Lunch [Flammable Acetate]
BT - Mercury And Solace (Transa Remix) [Pioneer / Headspace]
Space Manoeuvres - Stage One (Tilt Remix) [Hooj Choons]
DJ Energy & Tatana - End Of Time (Extended Polaris Mix)
Thrillseekers - Synasthesia
Age Of Love - Age Of Love
Brothers In Rhythm - Such A Good Feeling

trailer

My Favs

Bruce Springsteen Santa Claus is coming to town - Live version
Love a bit of East 17 - Stay.