All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Good man spuds ;D He did say if we win Sam. So God knows what condition I'll be in myself!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yoggie

Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2012, 07:33:16 PM
Quote from: blast05 on September 04, 2012, 06:04:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2012, 02:19:10 PM
They're out to get us on all sides FFS  >:(
At least the Laythrums didn't get Cortober or the main part of Rooskey or we'd be effed altogether.

Don't all those west of the Shannon in Athlone play with Clann na Gael ?

Depends. St. Brigid's eats into some outlying areas of Athlone, Paraig Pearses are in the Monksland area. Clann is actually only two half parishes wedged between those two clubs.

Just to correct, Pearses is about 10km from Monskland. Monksland entirely falls within Clann na Gael, and St Brigids doesn't even touch any of the urban part of Athlone. You have to pass through Clann to get to Brigids if you leave Athlone.

Crete Boom

Quote from: ONeill on September 04, 2012, 06:55:34 PM
Are Mayo the worst side to reach an All Ireland since Mayo?

Very hard question to answer when you think about it O'Neill. There's many thinks to consider like which worst Mayo are you talking about?
Is it the Mayo of 96 which had the ' you expect me to kick the ball between the posts and over the bar!!' full forward line?
Or the  ' full back line what full back line' vintage of 2006?
Then you have the ' sure Maurice Fitz couldn't kick snow of a rope' titans of 97 to contend with?
And not forgetting the ' where's Davy Brady gone I want my midfield back ' galaticos of 2004?
1989 doesn't apply since we had Galway's best ever modern era manager in charge of us then to keep the game competitive so as you can see there's a lot of variables to take into account when deciding are Mayo the worst side since Mayo to reach an All Ireland final! ;)

seafoid

Who played the pukiest fuball since Mayo were last in the final? Was it Tyrone ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on September 04, 2012, 11:47:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2012, 11:28:52 PM
All this amounts to is Ulstermen following the family line and Mayoigans being aghast (jaws hitting fireplaces, floors, tarmac, whatever's under their feet) at the arrogance.

I'd love to see someone from Ulster plump for Mayo, y'know, to fresh it up, like.

I'd prefer to see Mayo win. No fan of Donegal. But it's not going to happen. Impossible. I'll run naked from Malin to Ballina if Sam ends up in Mayo.

Beware ONeill bearing a bare arse (or thereof threatening): we're still awaiting his buck-naked birthday suited arrival in Sion Mills since 2008! 
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Quote from: yoggie on September 05, 2012, 09:55:55 AM
At least the Laythrums didn't get Cortober or the main part of Rooskey or we'd be effed altogether.

Depends. St. Brigid's eats into some outlying areas of Athlone, Paraig Pearses are in the Monksland area. Clann is actually only two half parishes wedged between those two clubs.

Just to correct, Pearses is about 10km from Monskland. Monksland entirely falls within Clann na Gael, and St Brigids doesn't even touch any of the urban part of Athlone. You have to pass through Clann to get to Brigids if you leave Athlone.

It's really not that simple. Brigid's success means I know of a good few families who moved to the area that chose them, nevermind people from Kiltoom moving to houses closer to Athlone. Boundary lines are far from clear-cut in urban and semi-urban areas.

blast05

Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2012, 12:16:47 PM

It's really not that simple. Brigid's success means I know of a good few families who moved to the area that chose them, nevermind people from Kiltoom moving to houses closer to Athlone. Boundary lines are far from clear-cut in urban and semi-urban areas.

Indeed, isn't Ganleys stores at the roundabout at the start of the Roscommon road in the Brigids catchment area for example. As for the Garrycastle/Athlone divide on the other side of the river  ::)
How did an All-Ireland final thread end up discussing this ?!

Crete Boom

Quote from: blast05 on September 05, 2012, 12:52:48 PM

Indeed, isn't Ganleys stores at the roundabout at the start of the Roscommon road in the Brigids catchment area for example. As for the Garrycastle/Athlone divide on the other side of the river  ::)

It has to be kept interesting somehow cause there is only so many ways you can say Mayo haven't a hope of wining this match! :'(

yoggie

Ganlys is indeed the end of the St. Brigids catchment area. After that you're in Clann.
Syferus, I'm talking about actual parish boundaries, not where members move to. Thats a whole different can of worms. Just making the point that the most populated area in Roscommon falls within Clann na Gaels area.
And I don't know how we got to this discussion.

Fear ón Srath Bán

A bona fide Mayo thread and you end up discussing the Rossies!

I give up!  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 05, 2012, 01:56:47 PM

And ye are calling the Jimmys arrogant  ;)

Crete Boom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 05, 2012, 01:56:47 PM

Sure join the club most of us in Mayo have given up anyway(on the final but not necessarily this thread).
I think we are getting quite good at being as farcical off the pitch as on it! Can't wait for this to be over , roll on the FBD and our new manger. 8)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: yoggie on September 05, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Ganlys is indeed the end of the St. Brigids catchment area. After that you're in Clann.
Syferus, I'm talking about actual parish boundaries, not where members move to. Thats a whole different can of worms. Just making the point that the most populated area in Roscommon falls within Clann na Gaels area.
And I don't know how we got to this discussion.

Syferus was waffling about Athlone castle being in Roscommon I think. Then he went on to claim Paraig Pearses were in the Monksland area  ::) Maybe Rossfan or is it Rossman has a case.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

J70

drici