New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ned

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2018, 11:29:43 AM
If you have a car allowance and looking to get a decent deal on a, lets say on a 1.6 type car, with a decent extras, where is the best place to look? I'm not a petrol head so for me any new car is nice, loved the Ford Focus i had for 3 years, might even go back to that type, but interested in something different

I got a brilliant lease deal on an Infiniti Q30. Nissan's "upmarket" brand, Mercedes engine, fully loaded. Probably not the best car but different.

Norf Tyrone

Anyone in the Newry area can give advice via PM about a car dealer. Thinking of making a purchase but I've heard too many horror stories.

Thanks
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

giveherlong

Norf Tyrone

Sent you a PM there longball.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Ambrose

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 23, 2018, 12:42:10 PM
Anyone in the Newry area can give advice via PM about a car dealer. Thinking of making a purchase but I've heard too many horror stories.

Thanks

If you've heard too many horror stories then I that tells you all you need to know.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

David McKeown

A cousin of mine has two twins who turn 17 in a few weeks. He's looking at maybe getting them a car but wants advice on the following.

Which car would be cheapest to insure for two 17 year olds with him as named driver.

Would a new car represent better value if he could pay it off?

How much more would insurance be for two 17 year olds over and above one.

Does anyone offer car with free insurance like they did in my day?

There's an older fella in the house who drives a polo would it be best just adding them to that insurance for a year or two?  The only other car in the family is an old estate

I know very little about cars so can't really help but I know a few on here seem to know a fair bit.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

delgany

Car insurance for 17 year olds is expensive business.
I'd say £1500 each.
Bought a Peugeot 107 for 18 year old at £2200
Insurance quotes ranged from £1300 to £4000!
Multi car reduced the quote to £1200 for his part.
As a main driver the young one needs to be the policyholder!
But add as many over 25s on the policy as you have.
Other factors  include  different quotes from insurers in different days of the week .
Parked in driveway !!! Etc

David McKeown

Quote from: delgany on December 31, 2018, 09:51:48 PM
Car insurance for 17 year olds is expensive business.
I'd say £1500 each.
Bought a Peugeot 107 for 18 year old at £2200
Insurance quotes ranged from £1300 to £4000!
Multi car reduced the quote to £1200 for his part.
As a main driver the young one needs to be the policyholder!
But add as many over 25s on the policy as you have.
Other factors  include  different quotes from insurers in different days of the week .
Parked in driveway !!! Etc

Cheers. I know from my own job that insurance companies are fairly cracking down on the old have the parent as the primary driver when really it's the youngster thing. Remember too when my now wife learnt to drive. It reduced her premium by near £300 by adding me as a named driver even though I had active penalty points at the time.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rois

David, check out Autoline's telematics policy, called ChilliDrive. It is based on monitored driving, and premiums come down quite a bit in Yr2. £1,500 is prob right enough. No black box needed, just an app.

screenexile

Quote from: Rois on December 31, 2018, 10:17:39 PM
David, check out Autoline's telematics policy, called ChilliDrive. It is based on monitored driving, and premiums come down quite a bit in Yr2. £1,500 is prob right enough. No black box needed, just an app.

This is presuming the person who is driving the car is actually a good driver!

I've worked in insurance and you shouldn't be giving your child a car so young. Number 1
it's ridiculously expensive and 2 they don't really need a car at that age. Being insured on the second car or the main car should be more than enough for what a 17 year old needs and at least £500 quid cheaper insurance wise!

illdecide

Guys just found this thread as i was close to starting another one...

I bought a car before Christmas but i'm not happy with it, engine is only 1.0 litre petrol (turbo) and i should have known better but hey we all make mistakes. Anyway going to replace it soon but the longer i look at cars online the harder it gets to pick one. I'm off work atm sick so when i go back to work i will be out and about a lot so going to need a car with a bit of power and comfort. Just had two separate visits from Armagh to Clare via Limerick in my car and to be fair with cruise control on at 70mph (2000 revs) it was comfortable enough drive but the only problem is if you need to overtake someone you don't have the power to do it quickly (like a lorry overtaking a lorry ffs)

My current car is 2018 Seat Toledo and i've been looking at a 420 M Sport BMW at a few garages which are turning my head as well as a few Audi cars too. My aim is to buy something like 2017 and keep the cars fresh but didn't realise just how many different cars that are on the market...
Any suggestions from previous experiences good or ones to avoid
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Aristo 60

It's quite a jump from a 1.0 petrol to a 420d

The 420d is a great car I'm sure but it would surely be a fair few steps up from a 1.0L

Is there a chance you might overcorrect your mistake with it?

illdecide

Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 11, 2020, 08:22:58 PM
It's quite a jump from a 1.0 petrol to a 420d

The 420d is a great car I'm sure but it would surely be a fair few steps up from a 1.0L

Is there a chance you might overcorrect your mistake with it?

To be fair the 1.0 litre car has a turbo and is not like the we 1 litre cars from years ago and the 420D is a 2.0 litre car but the car is bigger and as much as it's quick it's not a rocket either...Looked at the 430 M Sport but that's a different animal altogether...

Ambrose

The 4 series Grand Coupe is a very nice car, though it's probably better suited to the bigger engine. The 8 speed ZF gearbox is excellent, you wouldn't go back to a manual after driving one.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

illdecide

Just out of curiosity...If a dealer has a car up for sale for £20k how much does a dealer expect to make profit of a car and what % do you haggle for without insulting them...lol. I suppose each car has it's individual price and some will have more profit than others but it would be nice to know (any dealers on the board here) just what % you can take them below their asking price.