Peter Robinson steps down as First Minister!

Started by under the bar, August 16, 2013, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 06:51:21 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 19, 2014, 01:53:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 11:40:08 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 19, 2014, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 19, 2014, 11:27:30 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 09:05:06 AM
People are very quick to label people who question any situation regarding anyone foreign a racist these days...

I would however say these people know nothing about his points, where anyone is in any queue etc etc. Why have they got any moral high ground would be another question?

But what is it then when someone is victimised by a local mob specifically because they are not local or of the same race as the locals?

My point was that if he had been a Catholic of the same race or a Pole or Romanian he would have got the same reception. It is not specifically racism or sectarianism or Xenophobia. It is just plain intolerance of anyone who is not them.

His colour only meant he was identified quicker and he got a pre-warning rather than a brick through the window after he moved in.

This may not have been your intention but it reads as watering down the significance of the event because they are intolerant of anyone. I think the other politicians should be condemning this from the rooftops. The world knows of the conflict in the North at some level. But it doesn't know of the broad xenophobia,intolerance and racism inherent in some of the mobs embedded in one of the traditions.

We shouldn't be helping them by playing down the significance of this.

Thats your reading of it. Racism may be visually easier to identify but I don't consider Xenophobia or sectarianism as any less significant.

muppet

Quote from: LeoMc on June 20, 2014, 11:04:05 AM
People are very quick to label people who question any situation regarding anyone foreign a racist these days...

I would however say these people know nothing about his points, where anyone is in any queue etc etc. Why have they got any moral high ground would be another question?

But what is it then when someone is victimised by a local mob specifically because they are not local or of the same race as the locals?

My point was that if he had been a Catholic of the same race or a Pole or Romanian he would have got the same reception. It is not specifically racism or sectarianism or Xenophobia. It is just plain intolerance of anyone who is not them.

His colour only meant he was identified quicker and he got a pre-warning rather than a brick through the window after he moved in.

This may not have been your intention but it reads as watering down the significance of the event because they are intolerant of anyone. I think the other politicians should be condemning this from the rooftops. The world knows of the conflict in the North at some level. But it doesn't know of the broad xenophobia,intolerance and racism inherent in some of the mobs embedded in one of the traditions.

Thats your reading of it. Racism may be visually easier to identify but I don't consider Xenophobia or sectarianism as any less significant.

Can you let go of the whataboutery for once?
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on June 20, 2014, 11:19:41 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 20, 2014, 11:04:05 AM

Can you let go of the whataboutery for once?
?

Kidder81

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on June 18, 2014, 11:51:12 PM
It wouldn't be a free house, he would have to pay rent

He is on "disability benefits" so wouldn't be paying any rent.

ziggysego

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 21, 2014, 09:55:52 AM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on June 18, 2014, 11:51:12 PM
It wouldn't be a free house, he would have to pay rent

He is on "disability benefits" so wouldn't be paying any rent.

Well that's not true either.
Testing Accessibility