South Belfast North of Ireland Supporters Club

Started by T Fearon, August 10, 2009, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

While passing through Shaftsbury Square yesterday afternoon I glanced over at the aforementioned establishment and noted an array of flags including the Union Flag and Bastardised Ulster Flag. As the aforementioned are not flown at any other time during the year from this building, I concluded that indeed this establishment (whose members claim with vehemence that they are non sectarian) can only be flying them at this time to celebrate the 12th of July and other unionist/loyalist sectarian celebrations (Apprentice Boys etc). :(

lynchbhoy

you must be wrong Tony...
sure the same 'one' fella cant be banned from ni soccer supporters and be in coleraine all at the same time ! !
:D

obv the other 20 supporters were not in or about the 'clubhouse' these few days so the 'one' lad could put up those flegs !
;)

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2009, 12:18:25 PM
While passing through Shaftsbury Square yesterday afternoon I glanced over at the aforementioned establishment and noted an array of flags including the Union Flag and Bastardised Ulster Flag. As the aforementioned are not flown at any other time during the year from this building, I concluded that indeed this establishment (whose members claim with vehemence that they are non sectarian) can only be flying them at this time to celebrate the 12th of July and other unionist/loyalist sectarian celebrations (Apprentice Boys etc). :(
As has been pointed out on this Board before, on threads to which you have contributed, that club always sticks flags out* on the days before and after a game.

http://ifatickets.first-sports.com/

Why don't you stick to entering GAA Colouring-In Competitions etc... ::)

* - On its own premises, btw, not on eg nearby lampposts.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 10, 2009, 12:20:12 PM
You got that bit right (though the rest was your usual shite)... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Oh right, so they only use sectarian divisive flags on the days preceding and after games? Well thats alright then. I suppose all the members will be getting OBEs next year for reconciliatory services to the community. >:(

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2009, 02:56:54 PM
Oh right, so they only use sectarian divisive flags on the days preceding and after games? Well thats alright then.
No, they're an NI football supporters' club, so they put flags up, including the NI flag, on the front of the club for a few days around an NI international football game. You know, just like eg GAA fans put flags out around the time of their big games (though not always exclusively on their own premises).

P.S. Can we take it that you are no longer claiming that these flags are out for the Twelfth and Apprentice Boys etc? Progress of sorts, I suppose... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Er, they shouldn't be out at any time if the organisation is claiming to promote football for all and is anxiously trying to move on from a shameful sectarian past.

By the way, which flag do the monocultural North of Ireland supporters regards as their own, the Union Flag or the bastardised Ulster flag?

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2009, 03:30:26 PM
Er, they shouldn't be out at any time if the organisation is claiming to promote football for all and is anxiously trying to move on from a shameful sectarian past.
So your beloved GAA cannot claim to be promoting "GAA For All" so long as it is a requirement in its Rulebook that the Tricolour be flown at every GAA game, either?
By the way, which flag do the monocultural North of Ireland supporters regards as their own, the Union Flag or the bastardised Ulster flag?
I can't speak for every other NI fan, but although I've never carried either an NI Flag nor a Union Flag to WP, I personally am happy with the IFA's chosen match day arrangements, which are to fly the NI flag, the UEFA or FIFA flag (as appropriate) and the flag of our opponents.

As for the South Belfast NISC, I'm not a member, nor is it my regular pre- or post-match watering hole, but I'm not aware of their ever having flown any "sectarian" flags etc, nor indeed any flag which could be said to be objectionable by any reasonable or tolerant individual.

Then again, from your insane ramblings on this thread and others (eg imagining that flags were being flown for the Twelfth or ABOD etc), it is clear that you are neither "reasonable" nor "tolerant".

Anyhow, I hope Shaftesbury Square wasn't too  far out of your way in your quest to be "offended"... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stew

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 10, 2009, 04:32:43 PM
So your beloved GAA cannot claim to be promoting "GAA For All" so long as it is a requirement in its Rulebook that the Tricolour be flown at every GAA game, either?
I can't speak for every other NI fan, but although I've never carried either an NI Flag nor a Union Flag to WP, I personally am happy with the IFA's chosen match day arrangements, which are to fly the NI flag, the UEFA or FIFA flag (as appropriate) and the flag of our opponents.

As for the South Belfast NISC, I'm not a member, nor is it my regular pre- or post-match watering hole, but I'm not aware of their ever having flown any "sectarian" flags etc, nor indeed any flag which could be said to be objectionable by any reasonable or tolerant individual.

Then again, from your insane ramblings on this thread and others (eg imagining that flags were being flown for the Twelfth or ABOD etc), it is clear that you are neither "reasonable" nor "tolerant".

Anyhow, I hope Shaftesbury Square wasn't too  far out of your way in your quest to be "offended"... ::)

When all else fails go with the aul fallback that is whataboutery. Evil, is it or is it not wrong for supporters clubs of your beloved north to fly flags that would obviously alienate a large portion of the community?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: stew on August 10, 2009, 05:04:01 PM
When all else fails go with the aul fallback that is whataboutery. Evil, is it or is it not wrong for supporters clubs of your beloved north to fly flags that would obviously alienate a large portion of the community?
When all else fails, go with the aul fallback of crying "Whataboutery", even when you clearly don't even understand the term (see my post in the "OWC Hooligan thread).

For the record, I have never claimed that it is "wrong" for the GAA's Official Rulebook mandating every club throughout Ireland to fly the Tricolour (even though I think such actions likely to deter Unionists from getting involved in Gaelic games).

But that is rather different from an individual NI Supporters's Club choosing to fly the NI team flag outside its premises in respect of a forthcoming NI game.

And in any case, even if you consider that such flag-flying by the South Belfast club is similarly unhelpful to that of the GAA and the Tricolour etc (and I note you ignore the fact that I personally have never waved such flags at WP myself), my actual point was to expose the hypocrisy of Fearon, who claims "outrage" when NI clubs fly an NI flag, but isn't in the least bothered when eg a GAA club flies the Tricolour.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stew

The GAA has never hidden it's stance on it's promotion of a United Ireland and Irish culture, In contrast to the IFA who talk a good game about for example FFA but at the same time alienate 50% of the population in the six counties.

I understand the term whataboutery full well.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

nifan

The fact that tony cant bear to use the term "Northern Ireland Supporters Club" highlights the fact that he simply dislikes the concept of such an organisation.

FFA is not about completely getting rid of the NI team - its about enabling anyone who wants to be involved to do so. If someone disagrees with the concept of NI in its entirety  then there is little that can be done to make them support us. I dont believe it makes someone a bigot to not support us, nor do i think that supporting NI, and the use of the NI flag makes anyone bigoted.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: stew on August 10, 2009, 08:04:41 PM
The GAA has never hidden it's stance on it's promotion of a United Ireland and Irish culture, In contrast to the IFA who talk a good game about for example FFA but at the same time alienate 50% of the population in the six counties.

I understand the term whataboutery full well.

I thought it was supposed to be a non political sporting body?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 10, 2009, 04:32:43 PM
...doesnt seem to stop the americans , English, Scots, Welsh, Aussies or Bretons(french) from playing Gaelic games...
thats hardly excluding anyone - most def 'GAA for all' - unlike the devisive fleg posting and coin throwing ni soccer neanderthals that pretend to 'want' soccer for all !

looks like Tony wasnt wrong after all !!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 10, 2009, 01:59:37 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 10, 2009, 12:20:12 PM
You got that bit right (though the rest was your usual shite)... ::)
..looks like you have lost the 'debate' earlier than usual !