Horslips ride again

Started by Shamrock Shore, July 01, 2009, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Horslips will play Dublin's O2 on Dec 5 2009 with a gig in Belfast's Odyssey on Dec 3 2009 in their first 'open' gigs since September 12 1980.

Great news for a few auld fellas that inhabit this board (like myself).

The foundation stone of modern Irish music whose self management template was taken by Paul McGuinness and tweaked to make U2 what they are etc...

See you all there. Tickets on sale this day week (9 July 2009)

stpauls

good stuff, that's me da's christmas present sorted out then, and might even see if i can get one for myself!!

Main Street

What about your Grandad? :)

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 01, 2009, 10:11:37 AM
The foundation stone of modern Irish music whose self management template was taken by Paul McGuinness and tweaked to make U2 what they are etc...
Are you not getting carried away?
Surely that should read :  One of the foundation stones.
Modern Irish Music is not a popularity contest and a lot wider than the space occupied by U2.

You could even argue that Horslips have had a greater influence on modern Irish music than U2.

Anyway I saw their stint on TG4 a few moons ago and thought they sounded better than ever.  Maybe one or two voices have aged, but overall sounded brilliant.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

I was a bit tongue in cheek there really a bit Main Street (hence the etc)

I agree with what you say. I was at that 'gig' on Ardan in RTE that night and John Fean had a wicked dose on him hence the ropey voice in parts.

Borderlands in Muff was known locally as Murderlands cos of the many fights before, during and after gigs there in the 70s.

Main Street

I have the Ardan gig recorded, which auld fella in the audience are you? :)

Shamrock Shore

Ara - I can be spotted briefly in parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZzHzDCSjk

I can be seen briefly at 6.40 on the right wearing a brown jacket going mintil.

stpauls

Denn Forever

Sounds great but it is not mentioned in the O2 Dublin website.

I'll try ticketmaster.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 01, 2009, 03:01:45 PM
Ara - I can be spotted briefly in parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZzHzDCSjk

I can be seen briefly at 6.40 on the right wearing a brown jacket going mintil.
Judging by the spring still left in your step, you were in short trousers, a mere slip of a lad, when Horslips released their first album.

There are a load of Horslip songs on that  You Tube page, lots I have not seen, like the Dingle concert.

Shamrock Shore

Aye - all posted by me, longfordman (quelle suprise).

Dingle was a mightly night - got to the scratcher at 4.30 after the sessions of all sessions in Benners after the recordings ended.

I was 13 in 1980 when they finished so I never saw them live that time. But I have made up for it since.

There will be no 'formal' announcement until next week. This thing hit the wires by mistake too early.

Dougal Maguire

God this is great news all together. Its been a long time coming but hopefully it'll be worth the wait
Careful now

FL/MAYO

Had a chance one night to go see Horlips but decided for some unknown reason to go see a band called Tweed that were big back then. I have regreted it ever since. I had an album of theirs where the cover was 5 sided,I think it was their first album, it might still be in the house back in Mayo for all I know, it would be great to see them live. I saw the Alligators which were  a spring off from Horslips but they were more of a rock band not the same type of celtic rock that Horslips played.

Shamrock Shore

Actually Tubridy on Radio 1 this morn at 9 will have some of the band in explaining the comeback after 30 odd years.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 02, 2009, 02:53:55 AM
Had a chance one night to go see Horlips but decided for some unknown reason to go see a band called Tweed that were big back then. I have regreted it ever since. I had an album of theirs where the cover was 5 sided,I think it was their first album, it might still be in the house back in Mayo for all I know, it would be great to see them live. I saw the Alligators which were  a spring off from Horslips but they were more of a rock band not the same type of celtic rock that Horslips played.
The Alligators were great! 

Fantastic news about Horslips.  Only ever saw Eamon's spin-off group which I can't even remember the name of now so it would be fantastic to see them live.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something