5 (4.2%)
Ian Parsley - Alliance
12 (10%)
None of the above
25 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 120

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 12, 2009, 12:48:43 AM
I wouldnt spit on any of them if they were on fire never mind voting for them.

If they were on fire, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate you gobbing all over them Pints.
Testing Accessibility

Tonto

Quote from: Donagh on May 11, 2009, 06:42:39 PM
Dog shit tends to smell the same wherever the mutt is kenneled. The brand you trail about with you is particularly obnoxious.
:D :D :D

Dammit, quite disappointed (but not surprised) that Donagh was the only one dumb enough to take the bait. :D

cville

Quote from: slow corner back on May 11, 2009, 11:30:53 PM
I was talking to a local sdlp man the other day who was pushing the line that Alban could sneak 3rd place with a split unionist vote. At first I told him he was talking out his ass but he kept arguing so I looked up the figure tonight from the 2004 election. After the first count the UUP were only about 4000 votes ahead of the SDLP but then picked up good transfers from Allister but not enough to push him over the finish line. At this point the Alliance/farmer candidate Gilliland, Eamon McCann and the green candidate were eliminated with Nicholson picking up 22000 votes and Morgan 20000. This was enough to push Nicholson over the line and the third seat, BDBs surplus was never distributed. What surprised me was that although we are always told the alliance are a unionist party and all the centrist votes are really unionist votes loaned out there was almost a 50/50 split in the transfers. Overall taking into account transfers we ended with about 53% unionist vote 47% nationalist. I still believe it will be an election too early for the SDLP this time although it may be closer than I first thought.

Sorry - regarding the SDLP - If Alban Maginnnnnneeeesss stood on shite - as opposed to standing for Europe - it would make no difference to anyone. SDLP - sons of the pig-owning class of Ireland ..

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Things seem to be very quiet on the discuss/news front going into this election, haven't really heard from any of the candidates (except party political broadcasts from Sinn Féin and the DUP) and very little on the two main news websites from the north. This piece from Martina Purdy is almost two weeks old.

Northern Ireland's European agenda 

Elections to the European Parliament are being held on 4 June

BBC Northern Ireland political correspondent Martina Purdy looks ahead at the issues dominating June's European election.

POWERSHARING
Although this is a European election and some argue that it should not be a "sectarian vanity contest", the experience of past polls has been that voters regard the contest as a chance to pass a verdict on events in their own backyard.

The TUV candidate, Jim Allister, who is the only candidate opposed to the settlement at Stormont, would like to make this election a judgement on the DUP's decision to share power with Sinn Fein in 2007.

The Stormont parties will point to their united opposition to the recent dissident violence as proof that, despite its failings, the power sharing coalition is better than what went before.

THE EXECUTIVE
Some candidates, such as the SDLP's Alban Maginness, argue that this is a mid-term poll which gives voters the opportunity to pass a judgement on the policies pursued during the past two years by the Stormont Executive.

This means that arguments will range across the executive's response to the economic downturn, its decision to defer water charges and freeze rates and the continuing stand off over Sinn Fein's attempts to end academic selection in schools.

NORTHERN IRELAND WITHIN EUROPE
Over the past few troubled decades Northern Ireland has benefitted from £2 billion of funding from the European Union.

However, Brussels is now focussing increasingly on the newer EU members to the east. Candidates will debate how best to obtain financial and technical support from the EU in the changed climate.

A task force, appointed by the head of the EU Commission Jose Manuel Barroso, suggested ways in which the EU could help Northern Ireland to become more innovative.

AGRICULTURE AND FISHERIES
Earlier this year, Northern Ireland farmers queued overnight for EU subsidy payments administered by the local agriculture department.

The method of handing the cash out was controversial, but the demand showed how reliant local farmers are on EU support.

All candidates will have to pay particular notice to the influential rural lobby - the Agricultural Show at Balmoral in Belfast is always seen as a key opportunity for canvassing.

Local dairy farmers are likely to press for support at a time the prices of their products have been flagging.

Poultry farmers may be concerned about tougher EU pollution controls. Local fishermen have pushed for greater regional control over the EU's fishing quotas.

The candidates will want to be seen as responsive to their concerns.

THE FUTURE OF THE EU
Northern Ireland politicians differ on the balance which should be struck between nation states and the EU, and that manifests itself in their approach to issues like the Lisbon treaty and the proposed European constitution.

The three outgoing MEPs are all sceptical to varying degrees about increased Euro federalism, and the DUP's Diane Dodds is likely to share that view.

By contrast, the SDLP founder John Hume was always a committed Europhile, and his party's candidate Alban Maginness is also a Euro enthusiast, a stance largely shared by the Alliance and the Greens.

CLIMATE CHANGE
In the European parliament Northern Ireland MEPs have taken very different perspectives on climate change with the TUV's Jim Allister sceptical about the view that it is man made, whilst Sinn Fein's Bairbre de Brun advocates radical action to tackle global warming.

The climate change sceptic Sammy Wilson has raised the profile of this issue during his controversial tenure as DUP Environment Minister.

However, this poses a dilemma for his party candidate Diane Dodds, does she side with Mr Wilson or her party leader Peter Robinson who does believe climate change is man made?

Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Curious to know if anybody on here who will be voting Babs number one, will be putting down a number two, three etc?
Tbc....

Roger

Heard a bizarre one. My father infomed me last night that for the first time in 50 years that he would be going to the polling booth to spoil his vote  :o

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Roger on May 24, 2009, 12:38:29 AM
Heard a bizarre one. My father infomed me last night that for the first time in 50 years that he would be going to the polling booth to spoil his vote  :o

None of the above is the second most popular option on this thread.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 24, 2009, 12:46:03 AM

Sorry but spoiling your vote is a cop out as far as I'm concerned, as bad as the elected reps maybe in your eyes, there are other options.
People fought and died to get you people the vote - use it!

Tbc....

Maguire01

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 24, 2009, 03:26:12 AM

Sorry but spoiling your vote is a cop out as far as I'm concerned, as bad as the elected reps maybe in your eyes, there are other options.

But what if none of the candidates float your boat? Is a spolit vote not better than not voting at all?

Tony Baloney

In our elections you're not really voting for the best candidate. It's more like a vote for the least useless.

stiffler

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 24, 2009, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 24, 2009, 03:26:12 AM

But what if none of the candidates float your boat? Is a spolit vote not better than not voting at all?

I believe candidates in the election get access to the register of voters, and a list of who voted and who hasnt.

If you really want to f**k them off them dont spoil the vote, at least then they will know that you never voted for them.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Watched the Politics show today, Babs did herself proud, came across very well, Unionists made a cnut of themselves by infighting and not discussing the real issues.
Will actually give Alban my 2nd preference as there is a slim chance he may get in on transfers.
Tbc....

dodgy umpire

hilarious when fitzpatrick told dodds to stop talking, got a big applause from the audience
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 31, 2009, 02:44:59 PM
Watched the Politics show today, Babs did herself proud, came across very well, Unionists made a cnut of themselves by infighting and not discussing the real issues.
Will actually give Alban my 2nd preference as there is a slim chance he may get in on transfers.
I know we tend to vote along tribal lines here but jesus that Dodds woman kept going on the other night that people had to get out and vote two unionists in to defeat the republican mandate. Is she not even going to pretend to run on European issues?!

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 31, 2009, 09:18:03 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 31, 2009, 02:44:59 PM
I know we tend to vote along tribal lines here but jesus that Dodds woman kept going on the other night that people had to get out and vote two unionists in to defeat the republican mandate. Is she not even going to pretend to run on European issues?!
She's not exactly Mensa material.