Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on June 17, 2019, 02:56:29 PM
Roscommon won because they were the hungrier outfit and when the game was in the melting pot, their appetite was in stark contrast to the galway one.

Alas, I fear hunger and honest application may only get you so far, and there is a strong possibility that the Rossie will not win another game, in fact, I dare say, many will view them as a weak link in the Super 8s and those coming through the qualifier route will be hoping they are in the Rossie group.
I'd say Roscommon would delight in being the underdogs

Hound

From memoey, the Super 8 groups if the favourites win the other finals and the runners-up win their qualifiers (they all won't but, just for interest):

Dublin
Roscommon
Cork
Cavan

Kerry
Donegal
Meath
Galway

I'd guess Ros would prefer to avoid Mayo, but otherwise wouldnt be overly bothered with the prospect of Monaghan, Tyrone, etc coming through the qualifiers.

Mayo4Sam

That was a dirty hit on Shane Walsh alright, it had to have shook him
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Taylor

Quote from: Hound on June 17, 2019, 03:22:43 PM
From memoey, the Super 8 groups if the favourites win the other finals and the runners-up win their qualifiers (they all won't but, just for interest):

Dublin
Roscommon
Cork
Cavan

Kerry
Donegal
Meath
Galway

I'd guess Ros would prefer to avoid Mayo, but otherwise wouldnt be overly bothered with the prospect of Monaghan, Tyrone, etc coming through the qualifiers.

If it came to fruition that top group would be frightening.
None of the teams mentioned would get within 10 points of the Dubs in CP - all games would be a damp squib and would be like an extension of the Leinster Cship for the Dubs.
The second group in theory should produce a few great games

manfromdelmonte

Add to the fact that the Dubs will probably have their next 3 games at home in Croker

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 17, 2019, 04:06:55 PM
Add to the fact that the Dubs will probably have their next 3 games at home in Croker

Looks like Dublin's away game will be in Ulster again:

Week 3 of the Super 8s, the Leinster champions are away to the Ulster runners-up (or whoever beats them in the qualifiers)

But the purposes of me putting those up there is Ros have a chance of progression to the semis.

Dublin v Donegal
Kerry v Roscommon

Donegal v Ros final!

giveballaghback

Roscommon won because they were the hungrier outfit and when the game was in the melting pot, their appetite was in stark contrast to the galway one.

Alas, I fear hunger and honest application may only get you so far, and there is a strong possibility that the Rossie will not win another game, in fact, I dare say, many will view them as a weak link in the Super 8s and those coming through the qualifier route will be hoping they are in the Rossie group.
Silly post, the Ros group will be 3 teams playing for a runner up spot, the other group will have 2 places up for grabs.

Captain Obvious

Hunger is only a small part in any upset win. What I saw of Roscommon's last two wins was they defended and attacked better than their opposition and look a far more organised unit that what they were last year. Going into last eight off the back of beating the NFL and what was the defending Connacht champions in MacHale Park and Pearse Stadium is a strong position to be in and their first game will be in Hyde Park I believe?

Be interesting to see how Galway react from this defeat. I remember plenty tipping Donegal to beat them in the round 4 tie two years ago and Galway walked that match.

Rossfan

I'd say the GAA will ban us from the so called Super8s due to not being good enough. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Duine Eile

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 17, 2019, 06:06:14 PM

Hunger is only a small part in any upset win. What I saw of Roscommon's last two wins was they defended and attacked better than their opposition and look a far more organised unit that what they were last year. Going into last eight off the back of beating the NFL and what was the defending Connacht champions in MacHale Park and Pearse Stadium is a strong position to be in and their first game will be in Hyde Park I believe?

Be interesting to see how Galway react from this defeat. I remember plenty tipping Donegal to beat them in the round 4 tie two years ago and Galway walked that match.

That was the first match Ian Burke started in I think and we had a change of keeper for that game too. There's no easy teams coming through the qualifiers, to be honest I wouldn't be too hopeful of making the super 8s, every bit of football seems to be coached out of this team.

An Fhairche Abu

We have to stop absolving the Galway players of any blame here, KW is busted flush now but there were plenty of players who did not execute well yesterday or at other stages in other matches this year, it can't all be solely 100% down to the manager in this blame game regardless of the tactical setup not working.
I saw multiple players take the ball into the tackle yesterday and get easily overturned, some of them shirked out of challenges and some made poor attempts at tackles/tracking back, whatever about the makeup of the sideline team they are surely not being coached to do that.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 17, 2019, 06:45:34 PM
We have to stop absolving the Galway players of any blame here, KW is busted flush now but there were plenty of players who did not execute well yesterday or at other stages in other matches this year, it can't all be solely 100% down to the manager in this blame game regardless of the tactical setup not working.
I saw multiple players take the ball into the tackle yesterday and get easily overturned, some of them shirked out of challenges and some made poor attempts at tackles/tracking back, whatever about the makeup of the sideline team they are surely not being coached to do that.
Would agree with all of that.  I get the impression that some players are undroppable to the management  regardless of performance in the league, challenge matches and championship and I don't think that is fostering a healthy vibe with some of the wider panel.  Is that contributing to the malaise we seen in the second half yesterday when the pressure came on and in other games during the year?  Who knows?!!  Anyway, Walsh will probably see out the remainder of championship campaign but that should be the end of his tenure. 

LooseCannon

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 17, 2019, 03:41:58 PM
That was a dirty hit on Shane Walsh alright, it had to have shook him
If that's dirty, imagine what the Meath of old would have done to him.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 17, 2019, 12:01:31 AM
Where is Syferus?

He putting on boards.ie now. He posts under Syferus and nice guys 80s on that forum

LooseCannon

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on June 17, 2019, 10:39:47 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on June 17, 2019, 12:01:31 AM
Where is Syferus?

He putting on boards.ie now. He posts under Syferus and nice guys 80s on that forum
He isn't nice guy80. Nice guy 80 was talking about Offaly hurling in a thread, iirc.