Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Still trying to come to terms with that second half turnaround.
Probably the best 35 minutes I've experienced following Ros teams over the years.
A serious statement made by our lads as 2 monkeys now off the backs.
What can one say about the Dalys ...steel, attitude, just the right amount of badness,  and to think a previous regime didn't want them.
Cox... that 1st half point he shouldn't have even tried for it from that position.
We really lost the plot and shape after Devaney went off and the monsoon came down, got totally sloppy and looked like our goose was cooked at half time.
A calm refocusing in the dressing room and we started to play as we can ....and the rest is history.
This week is for basking in the glow, then put the cup away on Smith's sideboard and get ready for July and August big game football (once again!) with more hope and confidence this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: ck on June 17, 2019, 12:23:38 PM
Well done Rossies. I do think this is the best thing that could happen to Galway with regard to an All Ireland. I think they'll still end up getting further than Roscommon.

Can't agree on what I've seen all year so far, we're playing shite all championship, we'll be doing well to win the next match. Lot of blame on KW but the players have to own that disaster yesterday as well.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 17, 2019, 12:46:40 PM
Quote from: ck on June 17, 2019, 12:23:38 PM
Well done Rossies. I do think this is the best thing that could happen to Galway with regard to an All Ireland. I think they'll still end up getting further than Roscommon.

Can't agree on what I've seen all year so far, we're playing shite all championship, we'll be doing well to win the next match. Lot of blame on KW but the players have to own that disaster yesterday as well.
Would have to agree with that. From the day I watched us get destroyed by Cork 2 months ago with a reasonably strong team out I have feared the worst. Of course challenge games are totally unreliable but something about the body language of the players that night gave me the sense that all was not well.
Getting outmuscled and outfought the way we were in the second half yesterday simply should not be happening at this level and unfortunately this is not the first time it has happened with this bunch of players.
Sometimes in games they just simply don't have the stomach for the battle and that's the most galling thing for me as a supporter who follows them everywhere.

GaillimhIarthair

Would be remiss of me not to congratulate the Rossies on their win yesterday - thorough deserved based on that 2nd half performance.  Hope to see ye give the super 8s a much better rattle this year. 

Cunny Funt

Must be up there with one of Roscommon's finest ever Connacht title wins having beaten both Galway and Mayo two established and top 5 teams in their own back yards.

Nobody should be surprised by this Roscommon success at senior level though,  2007-2016 Roscommon reached 9 Connacht under 21 finals winning 4 (should have been 6 wins as the 2013,2016 titles was left behind them) and these Roscommon lads have beaten the current Mayo and Galway county players numerous times at minor and under 21 between 2006-16 so was only natural that Roscommon would eventually beat both to win a senior Connacht title. Next step should be keeping a good manager in Anthony Cunningham on as long as possible. 

Some moaning mary's might not agree but i thought the field celebrations was great and produced fabulous scenes and pictures from it. Whatever about Leinster,Munster the Connacht provincial championship is alive and well. Well done to Roscommon turned last year defeat in Hyde park (12 scores to 16) totally on its head. 

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 17, 2019, 01:06:08 PM
Must be up there with one of Roscommon's finest ever Connacht title wins having beaten both Galway and Mayo two established and top 5 teams in their own back yards.

Nobody should be surprised by this Roscommon success at senior level though,  2007-2016 Roscommon reached 9 Connacht under 21 finals winning 4 (should have been 6 wins as the 2013,2016 titles was left behind them) and these Roscommon lads have beaten the current Mayo and Galway county players numerous times at minor and under 21 between 2006-16 so was only natural that Roscommon would eventually beat both to win a senior Connacht title. Next step should be keeping a good manager in Anthony Cunningham on as long as possible. 

Some moaning mary's might not agree but i thought the field celebrations was great and produced fabulous scenes and pictures from it. Whatever about Leinster,Munster the Connacht provincial championship is alive and well. Well done to Roscommon turned last year defeat in Hyde park (12 scores to 16) totally on its head.
2018 final was level on 65 mins. In fact Roscommon led for most of that game

there's been a lot of lazy analysis of games recently

joemamas

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 16, 2019, 11:56:37 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 16, 2019, 09:51:50 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:38:00 PM
Ian Burke seems to be taking an awful lot of flak for the forwards performance on social media, he didn't have his best day but he's missing having that big full forward beside him, added to that the ball into him was cat bad. The way the forward line was set up was never going to suit Burke's game. Well done to Roscommon and Anthony Cunningham by the way, they outplayed and outfought this Galway team again today.
There was plenty on decent ball sent into Ian today and he fumbled nearly everything that came his way today - easily the worst performance he has put in for a long time.   The forward play in the second half was non existent.  It was a horrible performance and Walsh's position is no longer tenable IMO, he has to go along with his management team.

From the moment Ian Burke backed out of going down on the ball after 30 seconds until the end he was terrible, no point in dressing it up any other way, he should have been hooked first out of any of them up front, absolutely cleaned out and offered nothing today.

[/u]
Before I get the the Galway post mortem, big congrats to the Rossies, only team to come out to play in the second half, they upped it to a real championship intensity and the Galway effort wilted under the strain. Fair play to Anthony Cunningham, fantastic record and success in both codes with a variety of teams.

As for Galway? Well I think you have to separate two things, the result and the performance. The result is not good obviously but if Galway had lost a tight game in which they had competed then you can take it on the chin easier, it might have been an unlucky goal or a superb point from the opposition that could have been the reason we lost, that's acceptable while the performance is there, no shame losing to a better team on the day if you play reasonably to the form you are capable of.

The fact that the second half performance was so wretched is the killer and while Kevin Walsh will be eviscerated after this (which isn't totally wrong either) the players have to take a large portion of the blame. They put themselves into a good position with very efficient shooting in the first half in brutal conditions yet they sleepwalked back out of the dressing room at ht and when it became a difficult championship test, when the match required leaders, they managed a meagre two points, only one in the actual 35 minute period. Of course people can point to absentees like Comer but the Rossies were down a number of players themselves and what turned it around for Roscommon in the second half has nothing to do with personnel and everything to do with attitude and execution.

Whatever about the league matches which went ok for the most part, it was all about how the team would perform in the championship. The results are stark, two poor performances against London and Sligo and now a collapse with probably the worst 35 minutes of the Kevin Walsh era - and there is a some serious competition on that front.
The second half collapse today was akin to what we saw against Tyrone in the league, the inability to change mid game if required both on the line and on the pitch - it's not the first time this has been an issue.

I'm loath to say it as Galway are still in the championship and it is kicking a man while he is down but Kevin Walsh's tenure has surely - unless there is some miracle turnaround, which being perfectly honest I don't see happening - run it's course now. Taking Daly off today when he at least looked like he could get a score from long range and leaving some of the other players on was madness. The lack of earlier substitutions to change it up when Galway were clearly in big trouble was bizarre. Bringing on Varley who hasn't kicked a ball all year ahead of other options?

In fairness to Kevin Walsh has done an awful lot right for Galway, some people have forgotten that but anyone who had to sit through the Wexford and Antrim losses at the start of this decade not to mention the hammerings from Mayo will realise that we were on the floor, stuck in Division Two and it's moved on considerably from that. People clamouring for on all out attack pattern of play will get a rude awakening on that as well because some of the players back there, as have been mentioned here in other posts, are simply not good enough at the art of defending in a one on one or 50/50 situation. I think KW knows this and it's a lot of the reason for the style of play that has been adopted. That is no excuse for not being able to execute well in other areas of the pitch however and there is no invention up front, Comer covered up a lot of weaknesses in that area last year and hasn't been around to do the same this year.

That said about some of the good points from KW's reign, realistically I think it's come to a natural end now and a different voice is required. Whether that will bring any improvement from where we are remains to be seen because the players are not blameless here by any strech but I don't think it's going to turn around into a better place again under Kevin Walsh.

I'd be very afraid for the Galway team in that Round 4 qualifier match, given the performances to date they are likely to miss out on the Super 8s unless they get another team on a bad day (what would a full tilt Mayo or Tyrone do against a Galway performance like today?!), which would be a disaster and I've less optimism this evening than I've had for a long time regarding the Seniors, moreso looking at the championship performances to date than just the result today against a fully deserving Connacht champion Roscommon team.

Did not see that one, but he also did the same in the second half, ball was his if he wanted it, just did not go for it even 50%.

GalwayBayBoy

There have been two recurring themes to Walsh's time over Galway.

1. They always beat Mayo.
2. 2nd half collapses.

Yesterday was not even the first 2nd half collapse this year. They went up to Omagh and led Tyrone by 7 points at half-time in the league. Very similar to yesterday, Tyrone got an early goal after half-time and Galway folded like a pack of cards. There is something about the mentality instilled in the players by management that they can't recover when something goes against them in games. They retreat into a defensive shell and let the other team come at them. So yesterday they spent most of the 2nd half back around their own 45 not engaging any Roscommon players, just standing yards off them as they passed the ball back and over, back and over until a gap appeared to get a shot away.

Finally with about 5 minutes to go it dawned on them that they might actually lose the game and they pushed up and weren't far away from scoring two goals in the dying minutes. Out of sheer desperation at that stage. Of course the bizarre use of subs is another story altogether. And why was Lavelle suddenly starting again when Power had done very well up in Sligo?

The only slight mitigating factors for Walsh is that he was missing Comer who is an enormous loss as the focal point of the attack, he had too many either injured or half-fit players in the middle of the field. Including Flynn who is carrying a knock from what I've been told this morning by someone close to the squad, but had to play just because FOC was also crocked and Cooke hadn't played in almost 3 months. And even Walsh can't be wholly blamed for how badly Ian Burke played. Nobody would have expected that.

I also think Shane Walsh was never fully right after he took a bad belt from a late hit just before half-time. He had looked dangerous up to that point but in the 2nd half during any break in play he was often slumped with his hands on his knees looking down at the ground.

I don't hold out much hope for the qualifiers. I think there are too many fundamental problems with the whole set up. And they can't expect Comer to rescue them when he hasn't kicked a football since probably last October.

galwayman

Quote from: joemamas on June 17, 2019, 01:33:58 PM
Ian Burke seems to be taking an awful lot of flak for the forwards performance on social media, he didn't have his best day but he's missing having that big full forward beside him, added to that the ball into him was cat bad. The way the forward line was set up was never going to suit Burke's game. Well done to Roscommon and Anthony Cunningham by the way, they outplayed and outfought this Galway team again today.
There was plenty on decent ball sent into Ian today and he fumbled nearly everything that came his way today - easily the worst performance he has put in for a long time.   The forward play in the second half was non existent.  It was a horrible performance and Walsh's position is no longer tenable IMO, he has to go along with his management team.

From the moment Ian Burke backed out of going down on the ball after 30 seconds until the end he was terrible, no point in dressing it up any other way, he should have been hooked first out of any of them up front, absolutely cleaned out and offered nothing today.

[/u]
Before I get the the Galway post mortem, big congrats to the Rossies, only team to come out to play in the second half, they upped it to a real championship intensity and the Galway effort wilted under the strain. Fair play to Anthony Cunningham, fantastic record and success in both codes with a variety of teams.

As for Galway? Well I think you have to separate two things, the result and the performance. The result is not good obviously but if Galway had lost a tight game in which they had competed then you can take it on the chin easier, it might have been an unlucky goal or a superb point from the opposition that could have been the reason we lost, that's acceptable while the performance is there, no shame losing to a better team on the day if you play reasonably to the form you are capable of.

The fact that the second half performance was so wretched is the killer and while Kevin Walsh will be eviscerated after this (which isn't totally wrong either) the players have to take a large portion of the blame. They put themselves into a good position with very efficient shooting in the first half in brutal conditions yet they sleepwalked back out of the dressing room at ht and when it became a difficult championship test, when the match required leaders, they managed a meagre two points, only one in the actual 35 minute period. Of course people can point to absentees like Comer but the Rossies were down a number of players themselves and what turned it around for Roscommon in the second half has nothing to do with personnel and everything to do with attitude and execution.

Whatever about the league matches which went ok for the most part, it was all about how the team would perform in the championship. The results are stark, two poor performances against London and Sligo and now a collapse with probably the worst 35 minutes of the Kevin Walsh era - and there is a some serious competition on that front.
The second half collapse today was akin to what we saw against Tyrone in the league, the inability to change mid game if required both on the line and on the pitch - it's not the first time this has been an issue.

I'm loath to say it as Galway are still in the championship and it is kicking a man while he is down but Kevin Walsh's tenure has surely - unless there is some miracle turnaround, which being perfectly honest I don't see happening - run it's course now. Taking Daly off today when he at least looked like he could get a score from long range and leaving some of the other players on was madness. The lack of earlier substitutions to change it up when Galway were clearly in big trouble was bizarre. Bringing on Varley who hasn't kicked a ball all year ahead of other options?

In fairness to Kevin Walsh has done an awful lot right for Galway, some people have forgotten that but anyone who had to sit through the Wexford and Antrim losses at the start of this decade not to mention the hammerings from Mayo will realise that we were on the floor, stuck in Division Two and it's moved on considerably from that. People clamouring for on all out attack pattern of play will get a rude awakening on that as well because some of the players back there, as have been mentioned here in other posts, are simply not good enough at the art of defending in a one on one or 50/50 situation. I think KW knows this and it's a lot of the reason for the style of play that has been adopted. That is no excuse for not being able to execute well in other areas of the pitch however and there is no invention up front, Comer covered up a lot of weaknesses in that area last year and hasn't been around to do the same this year.

That said about some of the good points from KW's reign, realistically I think it's come to a natural end now and a different voice is required. Whether that will bring any improvement from where we are remains to be seen because the players are not blameless here by any strech but I don't think it's going to turn around into a better place again under Kevin Walsh.

I'd be very afraid for the Galway team in that Round 4 qualifier match, given the performances to date they are likely to miss out on the Super 8s unless they get another team on a bad day (what would a full tilt Mayo or Tyrone do against a Galway performance like today?!), which would be a disaster and I've less optimism this evening than I've had for a long time regarding the Seniors, moreso looking at the championship performances to date than just the result today against a fully deserving Connacht champion Roscommon team.

Did not see that one, but he also did the same in the second half, ball was his if he wanted it, just did not go for it even 50%.
I noticed he either pulled out or didn't go at all for a few balls that were there to be won definitely.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: galwayman on June 17, 2019, 01:39:28 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 17, 2019, 01:33:58 PM

[/u]

I noticed he either pulled out or didn't go at all for a few balls that were there to be won definitely.

Looks like a player in need of a rest, no energy to his display and his decision making (his great attribute) is just off.
#newbridgeornowhere

Kurtz

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 16, 2019, 06:03:58 PM
Roscommon were cleaned out at midfield in the first half of both games, absolutely destroyed. It's hard to comprehend how a team can come back from that and function with essentially no midfield

Ros could have been torn apart by half time against another side. They were like statues at times
Great win though. Always good to win Nestor Cup
Any chance of some Mayo midfielders transferring to Ros for super 8

Cunny Funt

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 17, 2019, 01:25:09 PM

2018 final was level on 65 mins. In fact Roscommon led for most of that game

there's been a lot of lazy analysis of games recently

It was level after 69 minutes i believe.  When i said Roscommon turned last years final on it head i was talking about the full time scoreline.  Last year Galway 16 points to Roscommon's 12 the very opposite of what happened yesterday. For another bit of not so lazy analysis. Roscommon led at half time looked in control but only scored twice in the 2nd half in the final last year again the same happened for Galway yesterday.

magpie seanie

Well done Roscommon. Ye have been brilliant in this year's championship. Full credit to ye and I'm sure ye will similarly go for it in the last 8. Great to see a team set up in such a way as to give themselves the best chance and being positive.

Blowitupref

A great rivalry between Galway and Roscommon the last few years

FBD finals

2015 Roscommon beat Galway
2016 Galway beat Roscommon
2017 Galway beat Roscommon
2018 Roscommon beat Galway
2019 Roscommon beat Galway

Connacht finals

2016 a draw
2016 replay Galway beat Roscommon
2017 Roscommon beat Galway
2018 Galway beat Roscommon
2019 Roscommon beat Galway

10 finals 5 Roscommon wins, 4 Galway wins and one draw. Both are still mainly young sides so many more finals between these two counties should happen in the years ahead.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

Roscommon won because they were the hungrier outfit and when the game was in the melting pot, their appetite was in stark contrast to the galway one.

Alas, I fear hunger and honest application may only get you so far, and there is a strong possibility that the Rossie will not win another game, in fact, I dare say, many will view them as a weak link in the Super 8s and those coming through the qualifier route will be hoping they are in the Rossie group.