The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Not sure if we have one or not as the search function is not working!

Anyway, Murray is two sets to love up against Nadal in the last 8 and Nadal looks in trouble with a knee injury.

Minder

Stuck a few quid on Murray this mornin to beat Nadal at 5/6. Nadal is a shell of the player he was a couple of years ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

take_yer_points

Nadal just quit when 3-0 down in the third set (and 2-0 down in sets).

He had the physio out a few games before he retired but he didn't look that bad - very surprising.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on January 26, 2010, 11:27:25 AM
Stuck a few quid on Murray this mornin to beat Nadal at 5/6. Nadal is a shell of the player he was a couple of years ago.
Will bookies pay out because of a retirement?  ;)

Minder

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 26, 2010, 11:40:19 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 26, 2010, 11:27:25 AM
Will bookies pay out because of a retirement?  ;)

They fuckin better. Aye I think they do.

Minder

Denn Forever

Semi should be interestiing.

His comments about not supporting England will  be forgotten if he gets to the final.  Did Henman get to a grand slam final?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Minder

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 26, 2010, 12:12:00 PM

His comments about not supporting England will  be forgotten if he gets to the final.  Did Henman get to a grand slam final?

No but Rusedski got to the US Open final in '97ish but lost to Rafter. Federer is looking strong though.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Minder on January 26, 2010, 12:16:06 PM

No but Rusedski got to the US Open final in '97ish but lost to Rafter. Federer is looking strong though.
Hard to look past Federer for the final.  If Murray get through, would he be worth a punt for the final?
means what he says...

Minder

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 26, 2010, 12:18:50 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 26, 2010, 12:16:06 PM

Hard to look past Federer for the final.  If Murray get through, would he be worth a punt for the final?

He would be worth a punt alright. Don't think he will beat Federer though.

Denn Forever

Has he not beaten Federer before? 

Don't know what the standard of the tournament was but was listening to his post match banter with Courier and he seemed very relaxed.

Was surprised when Courier asked what the Bath in ice water after a game was about. 
means what he says...

Minder

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 26, 2010, 12:35:53 PM
Has he not beaten Federer before? 

Don't know what the standard of the tournament was but was listening to his post match banter with Courier and he seemed very relaxed.

Was surprised when Courier asked what the Bath in ice water after a game was about.

He has never beaten him in a Grand Slam before. He has beaten him before in tour events.

nrico2006

Murray won't beat Federer in the final if they meet.  I feel bad for Nadal as he has been struggling since he came back from injury, seems to have lost some muscle aswell. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 26, 2010, 01:16:53 PM
I feel bad for Nadal as he has been struggling since he came back from injury, seems to have lost some muscle aswell.

Nadal's game relies so much on physical intensity that it has to take its toll eventually. He's now lost a full grand-slam year to the effects of the tendinitis in his knees. I'd imagine he has shed some upper-body muscle to try and lessen the impact of all those five-set marathons on his joints. But that shedding of muscle takes away from his game too.

At the risk of sounding overly pessimistic, I doubt that he'll ever be the player he was. This time last year he had Federer in a psychological headlock.

Now that Fed has completed the Grand Slam set by winning the French, as well as achieving the record 15 Grand Slam titles, his place in history is assured. It'll be fascinating to see what happens when they next meet in a Grand Slam tournament.

down6061689194

His comments about not supporting England will  be forgotten if he gets to the final. 

They  were blown out of proportion anyway. It's like asking a United fan if they want city to win.