Conway quits Tyrone funding body

Started by ziggysego, December 10, 2007, 07:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

DUBSFORSAM1

Mid Louth - When people argue for something on the basis of a "principal" and that the "principal" has been conceeded and it will lead to the ruination of the GAA - when it is easily proved that the "principal" has been set aside for years then your arguement is beaten.....

theskull1

Whenever the GAA is pandering to mercenaries like Farrell and O'Cusack instead listening to principled men like Mark Conway it's plain to see why we are on the slippery slope. This will not be the end of it. I can totally understand his stance. Rossfan you can piss away off with your condescending remarks about a man who's voluntary efforts would put any county players contributions to shame. Do your research before coming out with such shite
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 10, 2007, 11:16:42 PM
Theskull - I think you will find O'Cusack is very much a GAA man and is heavily involved in training his club team etc...

Thanks for that DFS1. And your point is....??
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Red Hand Luke

I don't know Mark Conway, but i know of him... i have heard nothing but great things about him, this man set up Club Tyrone to finance the county and look after county players when there was no GPA, he is a true GAA man who was involved in every level of the Assoication, National, Provincial, County and Club, Mark Conway has stood on principle and by stepping down from all his GAA duties he is a massive loss to the assoication, I hope Nickey and his band of merry men are happy pandering to men like Dessie Farrell against men like Mark Conway.

The GAA is split right down the middle and its all down to the GPA!

DMarsden

Quote from: ziggysego on December 10, 2007, 09:04:21 PM
Quote from: DMarsden on December 10, 2007, 07:46:10 PM
Never heard of him until last week but he seems like a bit of a drama queen. He's certainly gotten himself the maximum exposure out of this.

Sorts of proves this point I made, doesn't it Marsden!

Quote from: ziggysego
Mark never seeked money for his work, nor did he seek adulation for what he did. He did this, because of his love for the GAA. A lot of so-called GAA men and women would do well to look at the example that Mark has set and forget all about this rubbish from the GPA. For Mark is a GAA man and Dessie is a money.

He didn't produce much of a concerted effort to change what he disagreed from within the association, did he? It took the GPA 5 years to negotiate and cajole their way to what they've achieved.

pintsofguinness

The pro grant camp are getting more and more like Dessie every day.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

DMarsden

Quote from: theskull1 on December 10, 2007, 10:54:44 PM
Whenever the GAA is pandering to mercenaries like Farrell and O'Cusack instead listening to principled men like Mark Conway it's plain to see why we are on the slippery slope.

Who is it for to decide which is which?

heganboy

Its funny, the night of tyrone's first all ireland I was talking to a former county player from carrickmore who said that mark conways efforts were as much of a factor as mickey harte's or peter canavan's.
Its really a perception thing.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Norf Tyrone

Conway packed it, not because of the grants, of which he is totally opposed, but the fact that HQ vetoed a major decision without appropriate consultation with the membership.

Pro or anti grants, his point is totally valid.

Isn't it?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

DMarsden

His point on procedure is a very good one of course, so long as the constitution provides that all of these decisions must be returned to the individual membership. should the membership now resign en masse? did he feel that his contribution to the association was compromised by a perceived breakdown in democracy?

Rois

Quote from: Rossfan on December 10, 2007, 07:44:46 PM
Not much of a man if he walks away because he doesnt get his way on an issue.
Toys pram out spring to mind.

He was a voiciferous campaigner against opening Croke Park to other sports.  When that didn't go his way as a result of democratic process, he didn't give up Club Tyrone.
This grants issue strikes at a different principle altogether.

rrhf

Mark Conway has now made his choice and many will make their own indivdual choices from now on.  I notice more pro GPA - "play the man not the ball"  tactics on here in relation to a very sad occurence in Tyroine GAA.  As Ive said before Mark is worth a thousand dessie farrells in terms of his GAA contribution.  I would  liked to have heard more from the Tyrone players who are looked after so well on this mainly due to Marks efforts.  he delivered more for Tyrone senior squads than Dessie Farrell ever well.  Day by day im losing more and more faith in the county players judgements. If county players are unanimous on this then fair and well thats the way they want their GAA to go; but are they unanimous behind a man like Dessie Farrell!
Mark who led club Tyrone deserves recognition or thanks by the Tyrone county squads in terms of the voluntary effort he dispensed for their good.  In the absence of this acknowledgement others in Club Tyrone must wonder what sort of people they have been supporting all along.   

BennyHarp

People on here are talking about potentially £60,000 being paid to the tyrone players in grants - would it be any different if these grants where paid in a squad "holiday fund" rather than to individuals? What about certain players who couldnt attend the last "holiday" the tyrone players had - they were given the equivilent value of the holiday as a cash payment - no-one seemed too bothered then!! People seem happy to excuse all sorts of payments happening as long as its dressed up as something else! Once its laid bare for what it actually is - mayhem!!
That was never a square ball!!

DMarsden

You sound like one of the Branch Davidians after David Koresh met his demise. i do note the lack of any reaction from anyone significnt in tyrone though...