Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Mayo v Armagh
MacHale Park
29/30 June
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Solo_run

Armagh might have got a nice win at the weekend but I would say Mayo are two years ahead of Armagh in development. Wouldn't expect to see Mayo setup defensively so it will be a nice open game of football.

rory

Feile is on in Connacht this weekend, so accommodation for any Armagh fans will be hard to come by. Also, there are games scheduled for McHale park on Saturday afternoon in Feile

From the Bunker

The draw that I want except for I wanted it as away fixture.

smelmoth

McGeeney out. Quick turnaround for this one so need to get the McGeeney stuff out of the way quickly.

And while I'm on Oisin O'Neill to come in at midfield and Ross McQuillan to come in in nets

armaghniac

Quote from: smelmoth on June 24, 2019, 12:16:11 PM
McGeeney out. Quick turnaround for this one so need to get the McGeeney stuff out of the way quickly.

And while I'm on Oisin O'Neill to come in at midfield and Ross McQuillan to come in in nets

If only Armagh had a prospective manager that knew something about Mayo football.
If Oisin were fit, that would be great.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: rory on June 24, 2019, 12:09:46 PM
Feile is on in Connacht this weekend, so accommodation for any Armagh fans will be hard to come by. Also, there are games scheduled for McHale park on Saturday afternoon in Feile

Ballina then? Belmullet? Ballinrobe racecourse?

weareros

Should be a good game. The game against us in Portlaoise was needless to say the highlight, the only highlight, of last Summer. Both teams then were very open at the back which made for a high scoring game in 27 degree heat. Based on the score Armagh conceded against Cavan, you would have to say that is still a big issue. Against an attacking team like Mayo that commands a lot of possession, that could again lead to a big score conceded. Armagh began the season at around the same level as Down, but based on Monaghan result those games have likely brought them on, so should be close enough at the end. Extra time would not surprise.

joemamas

Confirmed for 7pm Saturday in Castlebar.

our_fella

Don't see any mayo ones yapping now with 7pm game... Hypocrites.

naka

Quote from: weareros on June 24, 2019, 01:19:20 PM
Should be a good game. The game against us in Portlaoise was needless to say the highlight, the only highlight, of last Summer. Both teams then were very open at the back which made for a high scoring game in 27 degree heat. Based on the score Armagh conceded against Cavan, you would have to say that is still a big issue. Against an attacking team like Mayo that commands a lot of possession, that could again lead to a big score conceded. Armagh began the season at around the same level as Down, but based on Monaghan result those games have likely brought them on, so should be close enough at the end. Extra time would not surprise.
definitely think if our injuries clear up armagh have a  good chance, we are playing a nice style of football which while somewhat open at the back allows our forward line to express themselves.
agreed subject to the referee it should be a good open game.
armagh by 3 8)

yellowcard

Would rather have avoided Mayo but on reflection it might be a good thing since making the super 8s following an easy draw would not be ideal for the development of this team. I think Armagh have a chance in this, the only downside is that it is away from home. Mayo apparently struggled to put a mediocre Down side away and gave up a few decent goal opportunities that if Down had taken may have led to a shock result. Mayo are worthy favourites and the Mayo of 2/3 years ago would blow Armagh away with their running power but I think they have lost some of this. Armagh on the other hand have found a few new younger players this season who play with no fear and I think we probably have a better forward line than Mayo's. 

joemamas

Quote from: our_fella on June 24, 2019, 01:39:01 PM
Don't see any mayo ones yapping now with 7pm game... Hypocrites.

You are correct, it would be more logical to have this game at 5pm, as the distance from Tyrone to Newbridge (5pm game) is a lot shorter than Armagh to Castlebar.
I am sure there will be some really daft logic that will be thrown out there by the fixtures committee.

The Boy Wonder

Omagh - Newbridge :  231 km
Armagh - Castlebar  :  223 km

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit