11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 12, 2018, 09:19:31 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on July 12, 2018, 08:35:42 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2018, 08:20:02 PM
Quote from: dec on July 12, 2018, 06:40:36 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2018, 06:39:13 PM
Quote from: dec on July 12, 2018, 06:27:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 05:54:13 PM
Sport can unite but the Orange Order is not a branch of the Armagh supporters club. It is a sectarian organisation whose identity is based on the fact that it isn't Catholic . I was disappointed when I saw the news.

And despite this a southern catholic was greeted warmly at the parade, illustrating the ability of sport to unite.

Would Neil Lennon have been as warmly welcomed?

Probably not, but then he is filming a "documentary outlining how Rugby as a sport unifies the country"

Perhaps someone should film a documentary entitled how the orange order/the twelfth/marching divides society in the North.

BOD's sugar coated documentary will be shown on tv3 or somewhere, and southerners with no idea of the North will think... ach, those Orangemen and their quirky customs. Why don't Catholics just leave them alone. Sure they're a harmless bunch.

Complete tpsser. Lost all respect for him.

So you've watched the documentary?

Don't need to. Any self respecting Irishman that finds himself holding a lambeg drum with an Orangeman emblazoned on the front of it on the 12th, well I'm afraid he's just another Uncle Tom in my book.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 12, 2018, 10:46:02 PM
Sport can unite but the Orange Order is not a branch of the Armagh supporters club. It is a sectarian organisation whose identity is based on the fact that it isn't Catholic . I was disappointed when I saw the news.

And despite this a southern catholic was greeted warmly at the parade, illustrating the ability of sport to unite.

Probably not, but then he is filming a "documentary outlining how Rugby as a sport unifies the country"

Perhaps someone should film a documentary entitled how the orange order/the twelfth/marching divides society in the North.

BOD's sugar coated documentary will be shown on tv3 or somewhere, and southerners with no idea of the North will think... ach, those Orangemen and their quirky customs. Why don't Catholics just leave them alone. Sure they're a harmless bunch.

Don't need to. Any self respecting Irishman that finds himself holding a lambeg drum with an Orangeman emblazoned on the front of it on the 12th, well I'm afraid he's just another Uncle Tom in my book.

Ah, so context doesn't count? You've made your mind up regardless, I see no different to a orange bitter fecker than you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 09:29:49 PM
The OO's parades have the anthropological purpose of showing who is in charge and don't reflect changing demographics . Kerry, Limerick and Wicklow all had Loyal Orange Lodges in the 1800s before the politics changed. There is a prominent statue in Wicklow town to a Mr Robert Halpin who was a Unionist businessman and great bunch of lads.
Seafoid - you said on another thread that the two communities in NI were as polarised as ever based on political survey results.  Do you believe that, the OO is really so out of touch with demographics?

The polarisation you referred to previously suggests not.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on July 12, 2018, 11:01:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 09:29:49 PM
The OO's parades have the anthropological purpose of showing who is in charge and don't reflect changing demographics . Kerry, Limerick and Wicklow all had Loyal Orange Lodges in the 1800s before the politics changed. There is a prominent statue in Wicklow town to a Mr Robert Halpin who was a Unionist businessman and great bunch of lads.
Seafoid - you said on another thread that the two communities in NI were as polarised as ever based on political survey results.  Do you believe that, the OO is really so out of touch with demographics?

The polarisation you referred to previously suggests not.
Rois

According to that academic report above the Orange Order is a key institution in the maintenance of sectarianism.
The demographics mean that Unionists will be a minority after a while . A peacock style outfit will not be suitable.
NI will need institutions that bring people together. On top of everything else.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 12, 2018, 10:55:23 PM

Don't need to. Any self respecting Irishman that finds himself holding a lambeg drum with an Orangeman emblazoned on the front of it on the 12th, well I'm afraid he's just another Uncle Tom in my book.'s

Ah, so context doesn't count? You've made your mind up regardless, I see no different to a orange bitter fecker than you

What is the context MR2? I don't see how it's acceptable in any context? If BOD went to a KKK meeting in Mississippi (closest organisation to OO in practice) and we got a snapshot of him in a white outfit and a white hood, are we to ask black people to wait and see the show for in what context he was wearing it?

There's showing an acceptance, there's making an offer of an olive branch to the other side, then there's making a serious PR miscalculation which O'Driscoll has done here. Same as McIlroy with his Londonderry, he's dropped the ball in a serious way.

straightred

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 13, 2018, 12:02:55 AM

Don't need to. Any self respecting Irishman that finds himself holding a lambeg drum with an Orangeman emblazoned on the front of it on the 12th, well I'm afraid he's just another Uncle Tom in my book.'s

What is the context MR2? I don't see how it's acceptable in any context? If BOD went to a KKK meeting in Mississippi (closest organisation to OO in practice) and we got a snapshot of him in a white outfit and a white hood, are we to ask black people to wait and see the show for in what context he was wearing it?

There's showing an acceptance, there's making an offer of an olive branch to the other side, then there's making a serious PR miscalculation which O'Driscoll has done here. Same as McIlroy with his Londonderry, he's dropped the ball in a serious way.
There's no acceptable explanation. I don't know what he was trying to prove but it failed miserably. The OO are what they are. Some of us understand that. He obviously doesn't. By indulging them he implies that their behavior is acceptable. 

stephenite

A man who captained the British & Irish Lions.

A man who captained an Irish team that plays alternate anthems to respect other team mates culture.

A man who is doing a documentary on how sport unifies.

Using his profile to reach out to those more progressive in the OO is the next logical step, and the right time, and person to do it surely?

I am sure there's another discussion forum where hardcore OO members are frothing at the mouth that a fenian held one of their sacred drums, small steps required on both sides for normalisation

Therealdonald

Quote from: stephenite on July 13, 2018, 12:36:01 AM

A man who captained an Irish team that plays alternate anthems to respect other team mates culture.

Using his profile to reach out to those more progressive in the OO is the next logical step, and the right time, and person to do it surely?

I am sure there's another discussion forum where hardcore OO members are frothing at the mouth that a fenian held one of their sacred drums, small steps required on both sides for normalisation

Just realised there where O'Driscoll was attending the parade...Loughgall. All the Tyrone and Armagh contingent on here will especially recognise the significance of this

stephenite

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 13, 2018, 12:46:35 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 13, 2018, 12:36:01 AM

Just realised there where O'Driscoll was attending the parade...Loughgall. All the Tyrone and Armagh contingent on here will especially recognise the significance of this

I have no doubt the location of the parade was deliberately chosen.

Do you think it was deliberately chosen to rile up those who might be offended, or do you think it was deliberately chosen as a symbol of what can be achieved over time in healing divisions?

balladmaker

I wonder how many in the OO remembered these three young lads yesterday on the 20th Anniversary of their deaths, they should have been in their late 20's and early 30's now ...

https://goo.gl/images/4HAcvp

stephenite

Quote from: balladmaker on July 13, 2018, 01:28:12 AM
I wonder how many in the OO remembered these three young lads yesterday on the 20th Anniversary of their deaths, they should have been in their late 20's and early 30's now ...

A shameful and tragic story. Lots of them on both sides unfortunately.

I understand the aim of the documentary is to promote sport as a means of unifying both traditions.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: balladmaker on July 13, 2018, 01:28:12 AM

https://goo.gl/images/4HAcvp

A fair few I'd say.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 13, 2018, 12:02:55 AM

You have watched Louis Theroux docs? He manages to meet and understand groups far worse than the OO

I'll wait till it comes out before I'll pass judgement